captainjack05

zooming on a wanted snapshot

hi i have got something on my dvr that i want to try and catch the problem is the camera is so far from the car that the number plate is a little bit blurred and we have took snap shots of it i was just wondering is there any way i can clear the bluring out of it with software

There are several tricks you can use that MIGHT clear it up enough to be readable - adjusting brightness/contrast, convert to greyscale (if it's in color), adjusting color curves, sharpening/softening... if it's out of focus, you could try something like Focus Magic.

Unfortunately, if it's that far away, chances are it's simply too small, and the data required simply isn't there. You might be able to interpolate a bit, but no software can create data that doesn't exist, regardless of what they show in the movies.

o have several shouts m8 some good some bad one is very close but i dont know if the quality is there i have never done this would you mind having a look for me

Sorry CaptainJack, the previous was the best options. Unfortunately as was mentioned if the camera doesn't have the ability to pick up the information all you will get by making the image larger is a pixelated picture. What resolution is the camera you are using, the lens and the disctance with that information I can give you an idea if camera will be able to pick up the information before spending too much time and trying to adjust a picture that can't be focused any higher.

*** Remember if you want to zoom-in after the fact mega pixel is the only way to go***

Yep, you can't quite do it as you see on television. Switching to inverted colors or other colorations can often reveal things you did not see or could not see the first time though.

Unfortunately most megapixel cameras likely won't handle the lighting in this case (he sent me a few still captures), unless you get into some of the very high-end ones.

We are a manufacturer of primarily analog, but have a 5MP cameras with IR cut filter that allows up to .02Lux which is pretty good in comparison to most. But you give up FPS at its fullest resolution. As in everything its a give and take.

hi lads and thanks for the replys as for type of resolution and stuff like that im a pure newbie were could i look all that stuff and learn more about what each camera will do soundy already had a look and i had an idea before i sent it the number plate wouldnt be got its to far away them guys done the robbery in 10 minutes left with a big sum of cash and lots of other stuff they got 20,000 euros worth of stuff in total so my friend tells me and are willing to pay good money for someone that can get the number plate but i think its a waste of time

I posted all the clips captainjack sent me, for anyone who wants to take a look: http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/soundy106/CCTV%20Stills/captainjack05/

That cameray ou listed is a PTZ... probably not worth the extra expense in this case. The ability to move the camera and zoom in is handy in realtime, but unless you use some kind of motion-tracking software to allow the camera to do it automatically, it won't improve your recorded images.

CaptainJack,

Seeing the pictures I can tell you there is little you will be able to do get a clearer image. You camera is a 480 add that to a night application and your actual resolution is around 420 at best. There is little that can be done. There are a couple of options;

1- Analog solution; For this use a higher resolution camera for the general area and add an inexpensive tag reading camera so you can have a record of both. This solution from a manufacturer can run about $400 total for both cameras.

2- IP Solution; This would be the highest level of resolution. You could use a 3 or 5 mega pixel camera that you could zoom in after the fact an getting the data you need. I assure a 5 MP camera with an IR cut filter would give you the night time application to get the info you need. Cost a would a little more than double and you would need to use an NVR. Just some ideas.

hi m8 cheers for your reply i will consider but could some tell me a place to learn what camera is what about resolution etc i want to understand it a bit more

CaptainJack, I would love to give you some information on resolution and other factors. Please IM me with your email and I will be glad to assist. We are a manufacturer of both "analog" and IP cameras and can provide info on what cameras are best suited for what functions. In fact working on an article about that CCTV and IP both have a place in today's market the questions come down to needs versus budget. Most importantly having realistic expectations about the system.

hi m8 cheers for your reply i will consider but could some tell me a place to learn what camera is what about resolution etc i want to understand it a bit more

Resolution is measured in megapixels. The higher the megapixels, the sharper and more detailed the pictures your digital camera can take, and the bigger you can enlarge them without losing the sharpness of the image. 3.1 megapixels and higher is usually considered sufficient for print-quality photos. Photos with a resolution of less than 3.1 megapixels are best viewed only on computers.

As your problem, you can use vector image to enlarge your blurred pictures...