Sandals

Looking for the best DVR for my needs (with details!)

Hello! This forum has been a fantastic resource for information and guidance on how to get a DVR. Here's what I specifically need:

• 8-9 channels, but expandability would be appreciated- meaning a 16 channel DVR would be excellent.
    480FPS for 30fps recording on all channels if needed.
    Remote and online access.
    Removable hard drive or multiple hard drive slots.
    Pentaplex so that we can view, record and access online at the same time.
    As high a capture resolution as possible (storage is not a problem, I can get plenty of hard drives)

Here's some other preferred features if possible:

• H.264 for nicer, reliable compression.
    D1 (which I believe is the higher resoluton recording) is available

Before doing proper research, the Sentinel3 system from Defender USA looked to be sufficient. But it is a Simplex system, has a low recording resolution, and has a low shared FPS.

I then found a Q-See system, the QSTD501616C-500, which has room for up to 5 hard drives, has eSATA support, and from what I can tell comes with some nice cameras.

I also looked into getting a DVR card, but getting one that can record at 30FPS per channel as well as building a system, purchasing cameras and cables and getting a power supply for the cameras, it just didn't seem to be worth it, especially as a PC would provide it's own troubles and variables, like operating system updates and other things that may put it out of commission.

The Q-See system at list price from Costco for ~$2100 is breaking the roof of my budget. Any guidance or help is greatly appreciated, especially if from a brand that will get the job done that I am previously unfamiliar with for less than the Q-See.

Hello, Dear Sir:

My name is Lisain, I am from ownta website, we can supply all kinds of CCTV products, please check our security categories, and then, click "CCTV products".

You can contact us directly by our livechat service, or email to us.

Hope this makes sense.

If you have any questions, our professional expert glad to help you anytime.

Kindly regards,

Lisain,

Frankly, I don't think you're going to find all that for the budget you've specified. The record specs you're looking for alone (D1, 30fps @ 16 channels) will probably break the bank, nevermind all the other things you want... unless you want to end up with something cheap and unreliable.

Just for the record, there's nothing inherently wrong with PC-based systems. Regular updates are rarely required, particularly if you're behind a firewall or router, and don't surf the web on the thing. An at least with Windows systems, updates don't cause downtime - just as with any desktop systems, the updates can be downloaded and installed in the background with a quick reboot all that's necessary to complete the job.

PC-based DVRs also make adding more storage a lot more conventient - more room internally for additional drives, or any externals with any common connection method: USB, Firewire, eSATA, iSCSI, SAS, etc.

If resolution is that important, however, you might want to look at some megapixel IP cameras. They'll cost more, but you'll get AT LEAST four times the resolution of D1 (1.3MP is 1280x1024, vs. 704x480 for D1), which in some cases lets one camera do the job of two, three, or even four standard cameras. If you go pure-IP, you also bypass the need for capture hardware. Some cameras also support recording direct to network-attached storage devices, which bypasses the whole DVR part too. And for remote access, pretty much all IP cameras allow you to view and configure them directly via web browser; many also allow RTSP streaming to any supported software.

Finally, you might consider that 30fps REALLY ISN'T necessary 99% of the time... very few people can tell the difference with even 15fps, and most would be hard-pressed to tell the difference at 7.5-10fps for anything short of watching auto racing. Once you reduce those requirements, your options within your price range open up substantially.

Thanks for the information! I'm piecing together some items from several different folks to get the desired effect.

Actually you needs can be reached.

16 channel DVR with 30fps per channel, HDD installed and SATA interface can be upgrade to 1TB, with DVD RW for backup options...remote access via internet or via 3G mobile and smart phones...and etc.

You can google, and should be many references...

Edited by Guest

WHAT HAPPENED TO READING THE RULES FOLKS IF YOU WANT TO ADVERTISE BUY ADDS.

Now soundy you are right about cost and one more fact COSTCO does not use the DVR's they sell they hire pro's and pro equipment for their stores.