cocacola

looking for a good DVR

I am still looking for a good replacement for my AVTECH DVR.

My old DVR never broke down or need a reset, but the software is crap and searching for a event is hell.

So i am looking for a good working, 2009 technology.

I fond a Dutch Geovision seller that sells a PC whit vist whit a 50 frames card for 1200 euro (8 channel )

I want to login my DVR whit my iphone.

Now i fond this DVR, is this a better deal than the Geovision solution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Q-see-QSTD2408-8-Channel-Pentaplex-Network-Digit_W0QQitemZ400041266190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d24514c0e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ebay item number 400041266190

Or is Geovision solution always better?

Unfortunately, there are few choices out there currently with the functions that you are looking for. Geovision is supposed to have an I-Phone capable app later this summer but as of yet nothing has surfaced. Let me ask, are you looking into only PC based system or are embedded a possibility. I know of a comany that is making a 3G compatible DVR, it is also a hybrid system so it can work with IP cameras as well. You might want to check them out, I think their 3G solution is coming out in the next week. Company is called Innotech Security. They are based out of Miami. Write to them and see what they can do for you.

I could not find many good DVRs with iphone capability directly, but if it's PC based or if you access the DVR from a network'd computer, you can use Logmein Ignition on the iphone to view the computer's screen in theory. Not too bad of an option.

OK, I confirmed that the Innotech Security 3rd Generation Pro Plus Series DVR's are 3G capable. These DVR's are networkable and have many great features. The app will work with Blackberry's as well as iPhones and allows you to control PTZ's from your phone. It seems to be an awesome but for unders 2K for a 16 Cahnnel.

A good DVR should be measured in many aspects. Generally speaking, DVR can be divided into two kinds: Standalone DVR and PC-based. Obviously, Standalone is much more expensive than PC-based. Atandalone DVR is more reliable, while pc-besed is more cheaper and flexible. When you want to buy a DVR, you should first see their functions. Such as how many channels do you want? And if is comes with HDD installed or DVD RW backup? And also resolution as well as displaying and recording frame rate is also important. Some support remote access via 3G or smart mobile while others only via internet.

Have a good consideration of all aspects, and then make decisions...

I've never seen a case where a similarly-spec'd standalone was more expensive than a PC-based system. Remember with the PC, you have to factor in the cost of the PC itself - DVR cards can be had cheap-cheap on eBay, sure, but you get what you pay for: they're usually of poor quality, with minimal specs, and come with clunky, limited software. You can easily get into the thousands for *quality* capture cards and software.

As far as reliability, neither type really has a corner on the market - more than anything else, it comes down to the quality of the components and the build; you can find both types made with cheap parts, poorly put together, and have all kinds of reliability issues. At least with PC systems, when you do have problems, they're generally easier to repair; standalones, especially cheap ones, are basically disposable - something breaks, you just toss it out and get a new one.

I've never seen a case where a similarly-spec'd standalone was more expensive than a PC-based system. Remember with the PC, you have to factor in the cost of the PC itself - DVR cards can be had cheap-cheap on eBay, sure, but you get what you pay for: they're usually of poor quality, with minimal specs, and come with clunky, limited software. You can easily get into the thousands for *quality* capture cards and software.

As far as reliability, neither type really has a corner on the market - more than anything else, it comes down to the quality of the components and the build; you can find both types made with cheap parts, poorly put together, and have all kinds of reliability issues. At least with PC systems, when you do have problems, they're generally easier to repair; standalones, especially cheap ones, are basically disposable - something breaks, you just toss it out and get a new one.

Sorry, hehe

I just thought almost all of the people have their own PC, so just need a DVR Card. And DVR Card is more cheaper than standalone DVR.

Sure, but turning your everyday workstation into a DVR is hardly recommended. A serious DVR should have a *dedicated* PC all to itself. Thus, unless you have an *unused* PC kicking around, you have to factor in the cost of the PC as well.