kaysadeya

4-pin AI lens connectors

Looks like I'm going to need to dig deeper for find the connectors I need.

Here are the descriptions of the zooms and lens controller and photos of the connectors...

1) Cosmicar 7.7 - 75mm 1/2" format, video iris. It has two connectors: one for the iris and the other for the zoom/focus control. They look like:

More detail: The iris connector looks like a round version of a modern square connector:

More detail: The zoom control connector appears to be more obscure:

2) No-name 12.5 - 75mm 1/2" format zoom lens (It just says "TV Zoom Lens"). The connector is a small 8-pin deal that looks like:

3) Pelco MLZ6DT Motorized Zoom Lens Control.

The manual describes the zoom-control "Output" socket as using a AMP CPC type, 14-pin connector. I think this connector from Wallco will work, but can't confirm:

http://www.wallcoinc.com/Tyco_AMP_206044_1_CPC_Connectors_p/wal9-206044-1.htm

I'm at a loss to find the AC connector and will probably rewire this one. (It's just a 24 ac power input, so obviously they were trying to sell some overpriced power supply.)

I understand I can just hack off the connectors and rewire everything, but that would be painful because they're all such high-quality connectors. (Ok, maybe the stupid AC power connector on the back of the control unit should go.) So, if anyone recognizes any of them, please respond.

Hi Kaysadeya,

The AC connector looks like a fairly standard 5 pin DIN (originally a german connector, now pan european). How many do you want

The silver plug is I think an EIAJ standard japanese connector ( think it used to be called an 'hirose' or something similar) which is not easy to get hold of; have you tried the spares department for Pentax lenses (Cosmicar lenses are Pentax!).

The black plug again looks like a standard 4 pin DIN, and the large multipole, is a fairly common industrial connector, often used in MIL spec applications.

I guess the mini 8 pin connector is just the latest cheapo japanese offering, again, Pentax spares may be able to supply.

Thanks Cooperman.

Any suggestions where I can pick up all or most of them on this side of the pond? Wallco is currently my best bet, mostly because they're one of the few suppliers that provide prictures on their web site. Most of the others just provide a list of part numbers and prices, which is not very helpful unless you have a catalog for reference.

Finally received the 4-pin square AI lens connectors I ordered. Does anyone know the best way to solder wires to the connector pins? Should I insert the wire into the hollow end of the pin and solder? Or should I wrap the wire around the pin and solder?

I'm useless at throwing bones, but .... this technique works quite well if you only have two hands.

If you can get hold of some very fine solder, insert it into the pin and very gently apply the iron to the edge of the pin until the solder melts. Don't overheat, otherwise you'll melt the connector!. Allow it to cool, then repeat with the other pins.

Strip back the conductors and then lightly 'tin' the exposed wires with solder.

Then whilst applying gentle heat to the pin, quickly push the tinned connector into the melting solder, and you should get a perfect connection (after the first twenty years practice it does get easier).

If you can get hold of some thin sleeving, it's a good idea to use that to insulate each pin.

BTW, very thin conductors are quite fiddly to handle, so I normally use some fine tweezers and hold the wire approx 3/4" or 20mm from the end, then the insulation won't get heat damaged when you're soldering.

If you can, yes!

When you strip back a stranded conductor, if you need (for example) an 1/8th of an inch (or 3mm), strip back approx. 3 times as much, tightly twist the strands with your fingers, and then tin the conductors.

When the solder has cooled, cut back the soldered wire to the exact length you need using a good quality sidecutter.

That way, the wires are less likely to splay out when you are trying to insert them into the pins.

Anybody would think I've done this before

BTW, if you try soldering the wire outside of the pin, you generally end up with large balls of solder rolling togethor, and shorting out the connections.

If that does happen, you simply invert the plug and let gravity draw the solder back onto the iron (then just flick it away somewhere safe!)