letssled

I caught the thieves on camera need a profile picture

Hello, I am new to this forum, so I appoligise if this post is a repeat or in the wrong spot.

My neighbourhood has been plagued with b&e and auto theft. After roughly $2500 a year in vandalism costs, my wife and I decided to purchase a high end security system.

I caught two young girls breaking into my car($2000 damage) but unfortunately the police are unable to locate them. Not giving up though, I would like to know if there is a company out there that can process my video footage, clean it up, and supply me with a high quailty profile pic(s). The pictures will then be put on mailboxs with an award offered for there arrest. I have confimed this is legal(I live in Canada) and the Police are most willing to assist. But there is no company local that can do this and I have exhausted the internet; I am willing to pay.

Thank you,

Hi, what DVR system is this from?

Were you able to backup the video to your computer and if so what type of format are the video files?

hi Rory,

thanks for the reply. The video opens with windows media player, so I believe it is an mpeg. The system I use is from 2020DSS, a local complany. It is a stand alone system with a separte 1 terrabyte hardrive and handles both analog and digital cameras. I have two Sony 3.0 Mega Pixel cameras and a smaller analog camera; soon to be adding another 4 anaolg and 1 more mega pixel.

Were you able to backup the video to your computer and if so what type of format are the video files?

hi Rory,

thanks for the reply. The video opens with windows media player, so I believe it is an mpeg. The system I use is from 2020DSS, a local complany. It is a stand alone system with a separte 1 terrabyte hardrive and handles both analog and digital cameras. I have two Sony 3.0 Mega Pixel cameras and a smaller analog camera; soon to be adding another 4 anaolg and 1 more mega pixel.

sry for double post.

letssled, can you post some clips to a file-sharing service, or a few stills to something like Photobucket? We can take a look and maybe someone can clean things up for you...

Rory, I just got home and confirmed the video files are .asf and .avi files.

.asf is a Windows Media format. .avi stands for "audio-video interleave" and is a generic wrapper... the file format itself could be encoded with any number of codecs.

.asf is a Windows Media format. .avi stands for "audio-video interleave" and is a generic wrapper... the file format itself could be encoded with any number of codecs.

k, this is a steep learning curve for me, sry. I looked into the compresion and it is an indeo "R" 5 compression.

letssled, can you post some clips to a file-sharing service, or a few stills to something like Photobucket? We can take a look and maybe someone can clean things up for you...

I am having a hard time posting(the noob spam filter is catching me). I am on hotobucket and my nickname is the same there as it is here. I hope this goes through.... l

I saw the video on Photobucket but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Photobucket converts the footage to flash video, thus loosing some of the original resolution. Your best bet would be to create a google group and upload the original files there. This allows you 100mb of storage. Then you can invite who ever you want to have access to the footage.

hi, perhaps upload it to here:

k, I have uploaded it to media fire. the nick name is the same as this forum. The noob spammer is preventing me from posting the ink sorry.

i tried this:

k, I have set the exact link to the one you have above. It should work now. I have no problem with sending someone the orgiginal files either.

I downloaded the files and several players from the website and I can not get them to play, what software are you using to play them?

It's playing for me in Windows Media Player Classic... but that was installed along with K-Lite Codec Pack, so the codec that's working was probably in there. Oddly, it won't play in VLC.

Windows Media Player 10 shows it as "Indeo® video 5.10 Decompression Filter"

I downloaded the files and several players from the website and I can not get them to play, what software are you using to play them?

windows media player. They are avi files with indeo "R" 5 compression.

My immediate impression is that the video level is adjusted too low in these clips, the caption text should be peak white (unless it's set as grey), which isn't the case. You'll also obviously want to consider better lighting in the future.

Im not sure cleaning up the video will give adequate results to provide recognition, although it will perhaps make people more inclined to at least watch it. You might want to put it up on YouTube and notify a local paper of the URL to see if anyone recognises the suspects.

I've attempted to enhance what I consider the most useful frames, but the results aren't that helpful:

105017_1.png105017_2.png105017_3.png105017_4.png105017_5.png105017_6.png105017_7.png

I think your best bet with what you have there is to print it out post them in your neighborhood.I know they aren't good and clear,but it the thieves themselves set it,they will know that more people will be looking for people or anything out of the ordinary..If you can afford it,maybe upgrade one or two of your cameras.

Another thing I'll add about the quality is that it seems quite low considering your system. I wonder what specification and settings you have on the DVR for quality? The compression artifacts are appreciable, it looks overly compressed to me, again you might want to check your settings for that and verify that the AVI files are not being recompressed from the original recording.

was i seeing things or was that two girls

no, you saw correct it was two girls. According to the Police youth crime is now 50/50. There is no more gender bias towards males; how sad.

Another thing I'll add about the quality is that it seems quite low considering your system. I wonder what specification and settings you have on the DVR for quality? The compression artifacts are appreciable, it looks overly compressed to me, again you might want to check your settings for that and verify that the AVI files are not being recompressed from the original recording.

Thank you VERY much, I appreciate your effort. At the time I did not realise the IR's were not working(it has since been replaced). Also I adjusted the contrast and some of the other settings to get a better picture.

I am curious though, how do you adjust or change the compression ratios? Is this the frame rate?

I am looking at buying a mic as well, but I have not found an outdoor rated model.

letssled

Here is my camera specs:

Color 1/4" Sharp, 420 TV Lines 3.6 mm lens,

weatherproof

3.1 Megapixel, 2048 x 1536, Colour, Day-Night, ½â€