robkey

How does remote software reconize my dvr card

I have a generic 4 Channel DVR card. I have the server software installed and I can view the cameras over the local IP...I wondering how you can view the remote software with a dvr card. I know a stand alone has its own unique IP address you can assign....How can remote access reconize a DVR card? Help please

Hello, Only make these changes to the Router that your Digital Video Recorder is connected to.

Ok, so you can connect locally and see your cameras, you're halfway done now. What we have to do now is to connect to you router, configure it, and you will be able to see your cameras on the Internet. To do this, connect to your Default Gateway (Router) in Internet Explorer.

ierouteraddress.jpg

You should then see a login box appear to connect to the Router:

routerconnect.jpg

After you log in, click on Applications and Gaming (For Linksys Routers Only)

portforward5.jpg

To find out what IP you have from your Internet Service Provider, go to the following website: http://www.whatismyip.com

Actually, DVR card does nothing to communicate for the remote connection.

Application that comes with the DVR board utilize the network card (NIC) in the system to communiacte through it.

In case of accessing through the web browser, it is the same deal that the software communicates through the NIC; however it also come with a web server in most cases.

Therefore, from the remote location, whether it is local or over the internet, your DVR card is accessed through your NIC, which can have its own identity, IP address.

Same for the Stand Alone.

Currently it is a standard to provide remote access, but only few years back, many stand alone units offered networking as an optional with separate NIC module.

portforward5.jpg

3389 is the default port for Windows Remote Desktop Protocol; it's not required for Geovision client connections (and frankly, I'd strongly recommend NOT using RDP/TSC for remote control of Windows DVRs - if you have live windows up, the refreshes will completely kill your performance. Use UltraVNC with the mirror driver instead, or Remote Administrator 3.0, both of which deal with live video cleanly).

In answer to the original question: in most instances, the remote software does not communicate with the DVR card at all; it communicates with the server application.

Standalone DVRs are no different; most are basically a stripped-down PC-type computer with some customized hardware, and embedded operating system and server software; the remote client then talks to that server application.

when you are using the pc , the ip address changes each time you logs on to the Internet. there is a solution which needs a IP address mapping.

there is some free DNS mapping service companies.

but you need to run a small client on your pc.

you need to register a free domain on that service company.such as

you register the name http://mydvr101.iiiii123net.com

when you try to review the pc based dvr remotely , you enter the name of http://mydvr101.iiii123net.com, the client software trys to get the http://mydvr101.iiii123net.com, the third party redirect your remote software to visit the actual PC address ( the IP address is reported to the service company each time it connects to the internet).

the above solution resolves the dynamic IP address problem.

but you need to run a small client mappy the ip address on your PC DVR.

when you are using the pc , the ip address changes each time you logs on to the Internet.

Not necessarily - it depends on your internet provider. Since DVRs typically run 24/7, they don't randomly connect to the 'net and don't usually change their IPs on a frequent basis, unless the ISP forces a change (like some DSL providers I've dealt with).

The best solution is to ask your ISP for a static IP. Most broadband providers will accommodate it for a small extra fee ($10/mo isn't uncommon). Some provide it automatically if you have a business internet account.

I use dynamic dns--free service. The router has to support UPNP and have an input to use the dns forwarding service. What you do is apply for a dynamic dns hostname like dkcam.dyndns.info. A username & password are created. You pop that info into the router fields and the router feeds the dynamic dns account with the current wan IP address that the ISP is supplying. I forward the ports for the webserver to the internal ip of the DVR in the router. From any browser I would type http://dkcam.dyndns.info:(port number) and the cams come up.

same with VNC--I use the dyndns hostname and it resolves to the ip for remote access

I use dynamic dns--free service. The router has to support UPNP and have an input to use the dns forwarding service. What you do is apply for a dynamic dns hostname like dkcam.dyndns.info. A username & password are created. You pop that info into the router fields and the router feeds the dynamic dns account with the current wan IP address that the ISP is supplying. I forward the ports for the webserver to the internal ip of the DVR in the router. From any browser I would type http://dkcam.dyndns.info:(port number) and the cams come up.

same with VNC--I use the dyndns hostname and it resolves to the ip for remote access

exactly!

use a free dyndns service. i like www.dyndns.com

not everyone can get static IPs and why pay a little extra when you can get it done with a free service?

i always open a browser and use mydyndnsname.gotdns.com:81 and it loads right to the DVR i want to connect to. this is when i am on a PC that isnt mine. for my laptop that i use for troubleshooting, i like having the remote view program installed.

not everyone can get static IPs and why pay a little extra when you can get it done with a free service?

because no dynamic-DNS service, free or not, is 100%effective. i've had ISPs that force IP changes every 1-2 hours... when DDNS updates can take up to an hour to propagate, DDNS becomes nearly useless.

because no dynamic-DNS service, free or not, is 100%effective. i've had ISPs that force IP changes every 1-2 hours... when DDNS updates can take up to an hour to propagate, DDNS becomes nearly useless.

yep, there can be delays also. static is always better, most business accounts will include at least one anyway. for a home use its a different story though, the extra cost is too much, least in this country.

Built in DDNS type server software can work well though, designed for the DVR only. So the use signs up for an account using say a name, Rory, as an example. That goes to the database on the DVR software company's website. So every 5 minutes (eg) the server software running on the DVR updates the database and that user's account with the updated IP. Now ... when using the remote software the user just enters their name instead of an IP and it searches the database on the website for their latest IP and then connects to that.

To have the browser work it, the user could just log onto the website and enter user and password. too many flaws with browsers though, so I prefer not to use them for that.

i have never had any issues with www.dyndns.com. their free service is great and the windows client program works perfect.

have never had it fail. been using it with dynamic hosts for 6 years now...

yes, static is good, but not always avail.

i have never had any issues with www.dyndns.com. their free service is great and the windows client program works perfect.

It's not an issue with DynDNS or any other dynamic-DNS service *specifically*... it's a potential issue with the whole domain name system and the fact that changes can take time to propagate throughout the DNS directories around the 'net.

A static IP is still the BEST idea for ANY type of server where you need ready remote access, be it a DVR, a webserver, mailserver, etc. Dynamic DNS *as a concept* is still just a workaround.

It's not an issue with DynDNS or any other dynamic-DNS service *specifically*... it's a potential issue with the whole domain name system and the fact that changes can take time to propagate throughout the DNS directories around the 'net.

A static IP is still the BEST idea for ANY type of server where you need ready remote access, be it a DVR, a webserver, mailserver, etc. Dynamic DNS *as a concept* is still just a workaround.

i agree.

at work, i make sure to get nothing but static. you just need it.

i am simply saying, dyndns is a good solution if you cant get static. not everyone that gets a DVR installed can get static or wants ot be on the phone trying to change over to a static account. and as i stated in my earlier post, for the amount of time i have been using dyndns.com and the windows client, i have NEVER had an issue when an ip address changes.

i think we are all on the same page here...