markpow

DVR records constantly at night despite being set to motion

I have a LTS LTD411M6 DVR and I am using one LTS LTCMD665 camera with it. I have programmed the DVR so that it will record only when motion is detected 24 hours a day. During the day the system works perfectly and only records when motion is detected, but once it gets dark and the infrared on the camera kicks in, the DVR begins to record continuously despite it being set for a 24 hours motion detection. Why is the DVR recording continuously once the infrared on the camera turns on? It records continuously throughout the night starting once it is dark to about 7 in the morning. I did set it up for a sensor recording for 24 hours so the DVR is programmed to only record on motion and its says on the bottom of my t.v screen that it is set as sensor record (motion). Why is this happening?

Also the camera that I have came with a 500ma power supply. In the manual it says minimum is 500ma, recommended is 1Amp. Would there be an advantage to getting the 1 amp power supply such as better picture or a longer IR range at night?

Thanks

I think , maybe two reasons , but I am not sure. Your cameras infrared lights's light is not strong enough, so the motion can not be detected. When the infrared lights were turned on, more power will be consumed.

Hello, I find a better way to solve your problem. You need to cancel all-day long record mode, that means set all channels record off and then choose motion detection. For all-day long record mode is defaulted. Hope it helps!

> Also the camera that I have came with a 500ma power supply. In the manual it says minimum is 500ma, recommended is 1Amp. Would there be an advantage to getting the 1 amp power supply such as better picture or a longer IR range at night?

It may be that voltage drop caused by the IR switching on is perhaps reducing the s/n ratio of the camera. The additional noise, random in nature, appears as grain and may trigger the motion detection.

Or it may simply be that the s/n ratio of the camera is causing it, regardless of any voltage drop, in which case a higher capacity PSU will not help.

Are there any settings on the DVR you can tweak that relate to motion detection? Have you checked the PSU voltage when the IR kicks in?

Yes, the screen is grainy and snowy when the IR Kicks in. How can I measure the Voltage drop? wait till night and then just get a voltmeter? If It is a voltage drop what can be done to correct the problem? The motion detection options on the DVR are pretty basic, just setting the area to be detected and then just setting the sensitivity levels from 1, 2, or 3. I tried all 3 levels and it still records constantly at night.

Yes, the screen is grainy and snowy when the IR Kicks in. How can I measure the Voltage drop? wait till night and then just get a voltmeter? If It is a voltage drop what can be done to correct the problem? The motion detection options on the DVR are pretty basic, just setting the area to be detected and then just setting the sensitivity levels from 1, 2, or 3. I tried all 3 levelsand it still records constantly at night.

Cover your camera lenses in day time and measure voltage at the camera

so simple

ok, I will do that later. Just looked in the manual of the camera and the s/N ratio says more than 52 dB. Is this a good number? as you can tell I'm a CCTV rockie

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I suspect that the cam just does not have enough IR's. I am familiar with this cam and it deploys 24 IR's. With a combination of the "lack" of sensitivity settings and the possible angle of view of the cam, the image will appear noisy and thus trigger motion. Generally I have seen a camera that is not getting enough voltage/amp tend to first sacrifice the IR. The specs I see on the camera call for a 500mA power supply but going to a 1 amp will not hurt it though. Try pointing the cam at something closer so that the IR reflects back into the lens. By doing so it should become less noisy. If it does, you know it's your angle of view/ cam. This is not to say the cam is defective. It just suggests the combination of things ( lack of sensitivity adjustment on the DVR, not enough IR to illuminate the desired area ) causing the DVR to think there is motion.

I hope this has helped

Mike

shoreview is on the right track - the movement of the "snow" in low light is probably what's triggering your motion. I've also seen it where a B&W camera (such as a day/night camera in night mode) triggers motion because the shifting color artifacts are seen as moving objects by the DVR - the fix there is to reduce the saturation on that channel.