thewireguys

How to setup ACTI camera for different lighting conditions

I'm getting a visible internal IR reflection on my ACM-1231. Is there supposed to be a rubber grommet between the lens and glass, like on dome cameras? Did I loose it and never realized it existed?

irdots2.thumb.jpg.38c28fa65451ce5b4bf422fcd38777d9.jpg

realbadIR.thumb.jpg.d87d7c7a5696f325fd0baa0189e887f1.jpg

bpzle,

What software are you using with the Acti 1231. My 1231's image looks like crap compaired to yours. I will try and post one to show you.

bpzle,

What software are you using with the Acti 1231. My 1231's image looks like crap compaired to yours. I will try and post one to show you.

I've tested it on several platforms... VideoInsight, LuxRiot, and currently Nuuo. All of which capture and record in the Acti's native format, no recompression. I did however recompress that BMP still in Microsoft Picture Manager so it would fit on the forum... Sounds like your problem is probably camera side config settings.... Post a pic tho... that will tell us a lot more by what you mean "crap."

bpzle,

I've tested it on several platforms... VideoInsight, LuxRiot, and currently Nuuo. All of which capture and record in the Acti's native format, no recompression. I did however recompress that BMP still in Microsoft Picture Manager so it would fit on the forum... Sounds like your problem is probably camera side config settings.... Post a pic tho... that will tell us a lot more by what you mean "crap."

Here's my picture. I resized it to the exact proportions as yours. The only light is the built in IR's and a gas post light off to the right. I didnt have time to get a daytime pic, but they are as good either

NewBitmapImage.jpg

Check your Exposure settings and the max shutter speed under the camera setup tab.

bpzle,

What does it look like when there is movement in the nighttime image? crisp or blurry?

I'm getting a visible internal IR reflection on my ACM-1231. Is there supposed to be a rubber grommet between the lens and glass, like on dome cameras? Did I loose it and never realized it existed?

are you sure its not just water marks?

If you take the cover off do they go away?

ps. If its an IR bullet Camera I would expect it to have something to block the IR, so check for the rubber ring.

119295_1.jpg

Check your Exposure settings and the max shutter speed under the camera setup tab.

bpzle,

What does it look like when there is movement in the nighttime image? crisp or blurry?

Here's a car traveling about 20mph.

Here's me walking.

Both above images are with 1/5 sec shutter, 60 AGC, and not sure what brightness, contrast, and saturation... I've messed with those recently.

I'm still tweaking the settings here and there and playing with IR.

I've got a LOT of IR out there. 2 analog cams with built in IR already covering the area, and a separate 150ft illuminator, not to mention the 1231's built in. Plus I have 2 florescent fixtures that are always on. Anything on the driveway can be seen pretty good, but anything on the road gets pretty blurry pretty quick with the slightest movement. Tonight I'm recording at 1/10 shutter speed to try to reduce motion blur on the road...

walk.thumb.jpg.de594b4abf2a3a349adde729ba667304.jpg

blur.thumb.jpg.812c08d9c6bf986739826286856d6177.jpg

bpzle,

Here's my picture. I resized it to the exact proportions as yours. The only light is the built in IR's and a gas post light off to the right. I didnt have time to get a daytime pic, but they are as good either

NewBitmapImage.jpg

Try going to one step slower shutter speed. Looks like your on 1/30 sec. Try going to "1/10" or "slow" depending on your firmware version.

I've got firmware version V3.11.13... I'm not sure if it's a firmware issue or just another quirk with the camera... but I've noticed a couple things:

1. If power is lost or it's reboot, the camera will not automatically switch to B&W, although the cut filter and IR will be on. Everything is that weird purple mess... What I have to do is shine a bright flashlight onto the lens for a second, and that sort of resets it...

2. When you change the shutter speeds, it can take 5+ seconds for the settings to stick and it to do it's thing. It will first go real dark, then work its way back down. I have found though that sometimes the camera will stick on a particular speed regardless of what's selected. To fix this, select the fastest speed (1/120), wait 5 seconds, then select the one you want. That seems to wake it up for some weird reason....

Try going to one step slower shutter speed. Looks like your on 1/30 sec. Try going to "1/10" or "slow" depending on your firmware version.

But if you slow the shutter, that means slower video? Missed video?

But if you slow the shutter, that means slower video? Missed video?

You HAVE to slow it down to allow more light to hit the sensor or you get worthless blacked images, like in his pic. Until technology catches up, that's the price we have to pay for now...

But HEY, at least we get super sexy day time shots! Here's my wife speeding out of the driveway in the morning...

dawn.thumb.jpg.e4bc6427f4ef2c1bf62214efad6f4b1a.jpg

are you sure its not just water marks?

If you take the cover off do they go away?

Lol yes. Look closely, the dots are in a perfect circle. Also, the camera is mounted well inside my front porch. Unless the rain blow sideways, it doesn't get a drop... and it's only been up a couple weeks.

You HAVE to slow it down to allow more light to hit the sensor or you get worthless blacked images, like in his pic. Until technology catches up, that's the price we have to pay for now...

But HEY, at least we get super sexy day time shots! Here's my wife speeding out of the driveway in the morning...

[attachment=0]dawn.jpg[/attachment]

And hence why I wont spend the dollars on them yet, thats 4-5 times the cost of an equivalent non IP camera, which has better low lighting I was looking at these same bullets actually .. but i just figured it wont do what i want .. and you proved that with the image above.

Lol yes. Look closely, the dots are in a perfect circle. Also, the camera is mounted well inside my front porch. Unless the rain blow sideways, it doesn't get a drop... and it's only been up a couple weeks.

What we need is a color IP bullet like that, then mount a BW Exview Bullet camera underneath it .. actually mounted to the bracket .. then using some kind of photo cell enabled switcher, switch the video signal between the 2 of them .. oh wait one is IP the other is BNC .. ok .. will need some more work but ... thats the general idea ...

need a cheaper IP bullet though .. maybe the color acti indoor 1.3 camera in a custom cheap housing?

[attachment=0]dawn.jpg[/attachment]

And hence why I wont spend the dollars on them yet, thats 4-5 times the cost of an equivalent non IP camera, which has better low lighting I was looking at these same bullets actually .. but i just figured it wont do what i want .. and you proved that with the image above.

Which image? The nighttime?

Which image? The nighttime?

Yes. Daytime is only a few hours of the day, the night is more important to me.

What we need is a color IP bullet like that, then mount a BW Exview Bullet camera underneath it .. actually mounted to the bracket .. then using some kind of photo cell enabled switcher, switch the video signal between the 2 of them .. oh wait one is IP the other is BNC .. ok .. will need some more work but ... thats the general idea ...

need a cheaper IP bullet though .. maybe the color acti indoor 1.3 camera in a custom cheap housing?

Or you could just use this one that they make http://www.acti.com/product/detail/IP_Bullet_Camera/ACM-1431_ACM-1432

I've got firmware version V3.11.13... I'm not sure if it's a firmware issue or just another quirk with the camera... but I've noticed a couple things:

1. If power is lost or it's reboot, the camera will not automatically switch to B&W, although the cut filter and IR will be on. Everything is that weird purple mess... What I have to do is shine a bright flashlight onto the lens for a second, and that sort of resets it...

2. When you change the shutter speeds, it can take 5+ seconds for the settings to stick and it to do it's thing. It will first go real dark, then work its way back down. I have found though that sometimes the camera will stick on a particular speed regardless of what's selected. To fix this, select the fastest speed (1/120), wait 5 seconds, then select the one you want. That seems to wake it up for some weird reason....

I'll give the setting a tweak and let you know. My camera does the purple thing your talking about to when I reboot it. I also use the profile packs on all of them. I am using the ACM-1231, two ACM-5601's, a ACM-5611 and the TCM-5311. So I have almost all of their megapixel box cams set up around my house to play with. All have the latest firmware.

I'll give the setting a tweak and let you know. My camera does the purple thing your talking about to when I reboot it. I also use the profile packs on all of them. I am using the ACM-1231, two ACM-5601's, a ACM-5611 and the TCM-5311. So I have almost all of their megapixel box cams set up around my house to play with. All have the latest firmware.

Have time to play with it yet? Interested to see the difference...

Hello !!

I got to know a new thing about this that even pixels are the major things that play a important role in the setting up a video.

Can any one let me know more about this?

Thanks