infernoxd45

baluns

I found these guys and they came up with an awesome solution. THeir cameras do not use baluns, in fact the CAT5 connects directly to the camera they designed (apparently they have a patent pending on this technology). The best part is that unlike a balun, these DSP (analog) cameras in addition to transmitting video over CAT5 it also send power and remote access to the internal OSD of their cameras. This allows you to control AGWC and all internal features in the camera are to be controlled from the DVR's PTZ function. They have DCR's that can connect with the CAT5 but the also have a CAT5 to BNC converter that allows these cameras to be used with any DVR. GUYS THIS IS AWESOME... CHEAPER INSTALLS LESS TIME ON SITE AND NEVER HAVING TO GO BACK TO A JOB SITE TO ADJUST CAMERAS.

Check them out: www.innotechsecurity.com

Go To Products then CAT5 Cameras.

I found these guys and they came up with an awesome solution. THeir cameras do not use baluns, in fact the CAT5 connects directly to the camera they designed (apparently they have a patent pending on this technology). The best part is that unlike a balun, these DSP (analog) cameras in addition to transmitting video over CAT5 it also send power and remote access to the internal OSD of their cameras. This allows you to control AGWC and all internal features in the camera are to be controlled from the DVR's PTZ function. They have DCR's that can connect with the CAT5 but the also have a CAT5 to BNC converter that allows these cameras to be used with any DVR. GUYS THIS IS AWESOME... CHEAPER INSTALLS LESS TIME ON SITE AND NEVER HAVING TO GO BACK TO A JOB SITE TO ADJUST CAMERAS.

Check them out: www.innotechsecurity.com

Go To Products then CAT5 Cameras.

Hmmm... without actually taking one of these apart, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the cameras actually DO use baluns... they're simply built-in. Some Pelco cameras (among others) do this as well (IS-series in particular), but leave a twisted-pair tail for the video rather than limiting you to RJ45 termination.

The remote access is nothing special - RS242/422/485 and Pelco D or P protocol to the OSD; a number of other cameras have this feature.

Ditto with including the power in the Cat-5 - it's probably just using the other two pairs of wire not used by the video and control, same as with the appropriate balun.

I would suspect the only thing "special" about this design is that they probably use a different pinout than other RJ45 baluns, so you have to use their special "adapters" at the other end (probably at a premium price).

I agree. They are probably nothing special. We've been using the Ganz ZCD-series domes with built-in NVT baluns for years.

One of the things I forgot to mention is that this system allows you to do drops as far as 1000 feet. They state in theor documentation up to 750, we piped under a lake at 1050 ft and works like a charm... It has something to do with the power control its not a balun or they wouldn't have a patent pending on the technology.

Also remember, the remote access to the OSD inside the camera? I have been in this industry for years and have never seen this... It just saved me a bunch of time. Field of view focus and close it up... Everything else was done remotely through the DVR... And the cameras come with some great presets for ultra-low light. So it was a breeze.

I agree. They are probably nothing special. We've been using the Ganz ZCD-series domes with built-in NVT baluns for years.

One of the things I forgot to mention is that this system allows you to do drops as far as 1000 feet. They state in theor documentation up to 750, we piped under a lake at 1050 ft and works like a charm...

1000' is nothing unusual for even cheap passive baluns.

It has something to do with the power control its not a balun or they wouldn't have a patent pending on the technology.

What technology specifically, do they claim a patent on? Built-in baluns? Remote OSD?

Also remember, the remote access to the OSD inside the camera? I have been in this industry for years and have never seen this... It just saved me a bunch of time. Field of view focus and close it up... Everything else was done remotely through the DVR... And the cameras come with some great presets for ultra-low light. So it was a breeze.

I haven't seen it on a LOT of cameras, but I have seen it on others. Actually, the first ones I saw it on were some other cheap offshore cameras (can't remember what brand they went under) that had a few really neat features (like, they automatically blocked/masked bright light blooms), but had only mediocre image quality and seemed to be of really cheap construction.

Of course, it's something that's only of use on cameras that actually have OSD, and there aren't really a lot of them outside of PTZs. Woulda been useful on some CW484s I installed recently...

These cameras are;

As it was explained to me their system does use all the pairs withing the CAT5 and also solves the ground loop issue and also does the communication/decoding of the OSD data. The chip performs various functions and it is not a balun that is specifically why there is a patent pending. But if you have any other questions just call them, they are great and love to talk about it and their Chief Engineer is a braniac that actually designs all their stuff... Like I said before, I have dealt with a bunch of "manufacturers" (nothing more than bringing stuff from abroad and calling it theirs) these guys are at the PELCO, PANASONIC Manufacturing levels as far as quality, but small enough to be personal still. If you visit them they will show you their assembly areas and their R&D division. I did and they went through the process showing me and explaining everything as my cameras were built. This actual new technology, they will even share their patent pending number so folks can investigate it themselves.

Be interesting to see HOW they do it, but aside from the packaging of it, they aren't really providing any features that aren't already out there - ultimately I'd say whether it's worthwhile will come down to the price of the *system* - both the camera, and the "adapter module" for the other end. If I can get a pair of video-only baluns for $40 and run a regular $200 remote-OSD camera over them using Cat5, then there wouldn't be a lot of incentive to go with their system if it's any more than $250 (yes yes, assuming similar quality of the cameras, etc. etc.)

Well that is the best part... These guys gave me amazing prices. I got the high-end 580TVL vandal dome with color@night and autofocus varifocal and they came in about 45% lower than Speco's 520TVL. That is why I went with them... BTW I hope you don't mind I gave their guys you info, cause they can answer your questions better than I ever could.

These cameras are;

As it was explained to me their system does use all the pairs withing the CAT5 and also solves the ground loop issue

What ground loop issue is that?

These cameras are;

As it was explained to me their system does use all the pairs withing the CAT5 and also solves the ground loop issue

What ground loop issue is that?

I would guess he means the ground loop you can get using baluns using multiple cheap 12VDC cameras on a central power supply - since the video and power share a common ground and the baluns effectively add a bunch of length to the video line, you end up with two very mis-matched ground paths.

I find the solution to that is simple, though: use 24VAC or dual-voltage cameras... anything with its own built-in regulator/power supply or some other method that breaks the common ground.

Edit: now that I think about it... I wonder if inserting a diode - just a basic 1N4001 or something - in line with the power ground would do the trick? Hmmm...

Well that is the best part... These guys gave me amazing prices. I got the high-end 580TVL vandal dome with color@night and autofocus varifocal and they came in about 45% lower than Speco's 520TVL. That is why I went with them... BTW I hope you don't mind I gave their guys you info, cause they can answer your questions better than I ever could.

Yeah, no problem... like I say, I'd be interested in knowing what they're doing there. Mostly though, just sounds like a slightly new approach to the same ends. Would be interesting to see if there's any significant advantage or if it's just "different".

what are the best cat 5 to bnc baluns you guys have found? the ones I've tried using are crap and could use some upgrading!

I've gotten a smaller batch tat transmit both pwer and video .. lab tested .. but not field tested yet .. will post more in the future after I put them through the field test.