dahur

Heat/sun shields for dome cameras

Here in southern New Mexico, it gets very hot in the summer. Back in June, we were going through near 100 degree days, and my PTZ IP camera failed.

It is on my roof, in the sun all day.

Luckily, it was still under warranty, and the company replaced it with a new one. I asked them if they make a sun shield for this camera, and they do. They told me they have a camera in Afganistan, and it uses the sun shield, and that it has been tested successfully with that camera.

The company said it is cut into 3 pieces for easy installation over the existing dome.

Question is, does anyone have first hand experience with these type of covers for domes. Do they work, in your experience?

To help understand better what you are referring to, can you specify which make and model PTZ dome are you referring to?

In most cases, the PTZ having sun shield help but it is not a necessity to keep "cool"... If you want your PTZ to operate normal in all temperatures, then it must contain a heater element and blower allowing to maintain constant temperature regardless of the weather conditions... If it is hotter than normal for its electronics, then the blower must kick in automatically to reduce the heat within the unit and vice versa applies in cold or rain condition - heater element kicks in to maintain constant temperature and keep the moisture out... at least that how most PTZ outdoor domes must operate.

So, get back to us on the make and the model and we can tell if what the company is stating does hold water...

Here's a picture of my camera with the newly installed sun shield.

This camera has a blower, heater.

It was an easy install, though time consuming, as I had to bring the camera down, and disassemble it.

Microseven said their Afganistan camera with the shield is still working great.

111844_1.jpg

Here's a picture of my camera with the newly installed sun shield.

This camera has a blower, heater.

It was an easy install, though time consuming, as I had to bring the camera down, and disassemble it.

Microseven said their Afganistan camera with the shield is still working great.

What's in the plastic box?

Thought it might be for your lunch!

You might want to paint the plastic box with latex paint to slow down UV deterioration. Also that might need a sun shield too. Any opaque material that shades it and sits off the surface about 1/2" should work fine.

is that tupperware?!?! LOL! your wife is gonna be pissed... haha

HA! You guessed it. $6 tupperware bowl.

is that tupperware?!?! LOL! your wife is gonna be pissed... haha

HA! You guessed it. $6 tupperware bowl.

Can we say Macgyver..........you go boy! It works and keeps the water out but I would not show that to too many people if your trying to get any work doing this.

Can we say Macgyver..........you go boy! It works and keeps the water out but I would not show that to too many people if your trying to get any work doing this.

let me tell you. After spending two days fishing the cat5e from 3ft of attic space, through a 10 ft insulated inside wall, through a firebreak two feet down from the ceiling, there is NO WAY I'm looking for any work doing this stuff!

As to the tupperware bowl, people on the ground think it's a wireless transmitter/receiver of some sort-at least that what they tell me.