tdprenz

question on publishing video to the internet

I'm pretty new to this to this stuff so bare with me. I'm about to publish my Geovision 800 video to the internet. following is the short list of what I think I need to do (I could be confused though). Please let me know what I'm missing or just straight wrong. If anyone could fill in more details I would really appreciate it.

What I have:

Geovision GV800 running on XP

modem to the ISP(still need to purchase)

static IP address

Linksys router

What I think I'm suppose to do:

modem to phone line

modem to router

router to computer

get my ISP (verizon) to publish my static address - Is this true?

open up ports to allow access in (where is this done - router?)

then what?

Modem to Phone line

Modem to Router

Get static IP or No-ip.com service

Set up port forwarding on ports (in router)

only open the ports you need opened, via the router and XP Pro. Most likely you won't have to open any becasue you will be viewing on port 80, which is your web based port, which is open anyway.

You have 2 sides to a system when we are talking "ports". yuou have the WAN and LAN. Wide area network.....internet, outside connection to the world, modem looking out. and the Local area network.........modem looking in. Woreless??? you did not mention it so i won't go there, but, that is another "window" that may need some blocking and security also.

static ip..............depending on your situation you might want to go without and have a dns type configuration update your ip address. no-ip.com is a place to look for that info/choice. some modems and routers can also handle the dns updating for you.

publish your ip? verizion may or may not provide this service. my guess is no. and you don't publish a ip, you publish a name.......and first you wen name will require a search to ensure that you are unique. after that there are several web publishing companies out there that can hook ya up.

then what? fine tune and go fishing. the only things I did not see were things like a APC battery back up. sounds like you'll be at 300 watts so I'd go with a 1000kva apc....gives you approx. 20 minutes of back-up. Power supply for camera's? Altronics is best.

Have fun...................