blake

Mount IR illuminator high or low?

the lower the better.

although it depends what might be in the way of it.

If you install it at night, you can use a monitor at the camera/IR to adjust the IR on the fly before even mounting it. If you install it in the day time, not so easy unless it is inside a controlled lighting condition.

Camera will be eight feet high looking slightly downward covering an area of yard with a clear view and no obstructions.I was thinking of mounting illumnator 1 foot off of ground with a clear view of the area with no obstructions.

LOL no thats TOO low ... just mount it around 6-8 feet and make sure it has something to reflect off. If there is nothing to reflect off then it needs to be really powerful or you would need to just bounce it off the ground but then it might not spread properly. What kind of IR is it?

Yes you are correct,but i know that you"pros" have your little secrets that i'm trying to learn..This is a new hobby for me extending from electrician/home security.

i got the link. Its a budget IR illuminator, i realise its not THAT cheap but the brand is. If it were something like Extreme CCTV I could tell you exactly what to expect, but the specs on that dont even give the width of the beam.

It could end up being good though, and if so, let us know

Oh yeah, being that its small and fairly easy to mount, if you cant adjust it in the dark to install it then put a single temporary screw in it, check it the next day, then move it if needed.

I guess if there is a trick at all to this, it would be that all Infrared apps should be adjusted in the locations darkest condition, eg. in the pitch dark/at night. Too many people, even the so called pros, adjust Day Night applications in the day time only (unless location is a controlled lighting environment such as an indoor room) and wonder why its not that good, or just dont care.

i got the link. Its a budget IR illuminator, i realise its not THAT cheap but the brand is. If it were something like Extreme CCTV I could tell you exactly what to expect, but the specs on that dont even give the width of the beam.

It could end up being good though, and if so, let us know

Oh yeah, being that its small and fairly easy to mount, if you cant adjust it in the dark to install it then put a single temporary screw in it, check it the next day, then move it if needed.

I guess if there is a trick at all to this, it would be that all Infrared apps should be adjusted in the locations darkest condition, eg. in the pitch dark/at night. Too many people, even the so called pros, adjust Day Night applications in the day time only (unless location is a controlled lighting environment such as an indoor room) and wonder why its not that good, or just dont care.

Yes... yes indeed.

I went through a ton of trial-and-error getting my infrared illuminators exactly the way I wanted them. Fortunately, as a night-shift guy, I have all the opportunity in the world to play with them and tweak things.

Not everybody has that luxury... sometimes hiring a pro is the way to go.

Well i took a look at the Extreme.I think i need the EX12LED8W which gives me a 60 degree wide beam pattern that i can adjust from 10-40ft using 850nm or 940nm led's.I only need one so might as well make it a good one that i know will last.

Well i took a look at the Extreme.I think i need the EX12LED8W which gives me a 60 degree wide beam pattern that i can adjust from 10-40ft using 850nm or 940nm led's.I only need one so might as well make it a good one that i know will last.

http://www.rayteccctv.com/default.aspx

They also make a very good product and you have the the ability to adjust the degree/angle of the light.

Thanks for the link.I looked at their products,and the Raymax 25 Fusion looks like a solid product that fits my needs.I couldn't find any prices so i sent Raytecs sales team an e-mail.

Thanks for the link.I looked at their products,and the Raymax 25 Fusion looks like a solid product that fits my needs.I couldn't find any prices so i sent Raytecs sales team an e-mail.

Keep in mind there are a couple of options with the 25. Voltage input and angle. Options are 110-240volt, 12-14V ac/dc, and POE.

Pricing is going to be around $650 ish

Also keep in mind if your trying to illuminate something 20m away you would want the next unit up.

The EX12 is a small LED, not very good for outdoors.

I would look at something more like a UF100 and if you really want to flood the area, a UF500.

beampattern_uf100.GIF

beampattern_uf500.GIF

From the camera to the fence is 50'.So i need illumination coverage of 50' at 60 degrees.I have some things in the yard to reflect the ir.

Edited by Guest

Flood is the widest at 60 degrees, so you would need 2 Illuminators. Also most IR Illuminators will be around 30 degrees, so whichever one you choose make sure to ask for the proper specs.

The UF100 is approx 60' at 840nm and 60 degrees. Ive used it in the past. They arent cheap though.

Have you considered visible lighting though? Ive used High powered IR for years and although it works as it says, the IR itself really is overrated IMO. I would take visible lighting like a dusk to dawn or motion lights and a decent true day night camera any day ... over using IR. Sometimes there is no choice though.

Yeah been a while since i went to extreme's site, I havent been there since Bosch took them over

also the EX26LED is one you might be able to use, it doesnt require a special power supply like the UF500 and the 100 do. The 60 degree beam might be around 40-50', I havent used that one. All of them use to be very expensive though, not sure if you want to spend all that. As mentioned if you really want to light it up with IR, then look at the UF500. But that sucker is powerful, cant even stand 3 feet in front of it, will burn you up

Edited by Guest

Well in that case i'll just put up another 360 degree quartz halogen motion light and call it done.

check White LED flash light with variable focus

cheap and very powerful

I can light up to 200 feet easy

then if u handy add PIR ,power supply or external trigger

and ....