G22

DVR to access setup menu in Panasonic cameras

We currently use a GeoVision GV800 PC Based DVR at work. It has been 'ok' so far. I am beginning to dislike PC Based DVR's in general though.

If I need to change a cam setting (not often but occasionally) on the camera (currently 1 x WV-CP474). I have to take my laptop outside, and connect to the remote web interface via WiFi as I manually go through the setup menu on the cam itself. It is a pain even if not that often.

We will be adding more cams (up to 4) with a combo of conventional and dome cams, all Panasonic.

Other than Panasonic DVR's (such as the WJ-HD* models), are there any other embedded DVR's that will do the same? I would also like one that records higher than 640x480.

Thx.

No. It is not exactly safe going out on the roof where this cam is located. And a few others will be non-accessible (ladder required) anyway once they are added.

Plus... I do not want to use a portable LCD.

why go outside? Thomas.....won't a simple software program (PTZsetup) work here? I program mine from the server without any problems.

And, can't you preprogram them BEFORE you hang'm?

Because the installer did not know what he was doing it seems. Had to go out several times to get it setup half-ass.

What type of DVR and cams do you have that you can program them fro the server?

Yes, they can be 'pre-programmed' before mounting them, it is just much easier to do it from the console. Also, I want the option to connect a PTZ cam in the future.

The simple program would work. Generally to bring up the internal set up it's a matter of hitting the right preset, then working the menu. Post your e-mail and I'll mail it to you.

The menu can be accessed with only the the Video Output connected? I assumed the GEN-LOCK one had to be connected as well.

PM sent with email, thx.

you are programming the OSD from the DVR, for this fixed camera, right?

as for embedded DVRs, the Kalatel DVRs also support Panasonic Protocol, and they are 720x480. There are others also.

As for programming any fixed camera, the Bosch cameras can be done like this regardless of the DVR.

Yes, the OSD.

Currently, I only have the Video Output connected on this cam. Is that the only cable required to program through the DVR? I thought it was just a one-way video output signal only?

On the back of the cam is another BNC connector that says GEN-LOCK or similar. The OSD menu buttons are on the side of the cam.

My apolgies but the app I have is for getting to the OSD for PTZ cameras rather then fixed.

thomas that may work also, is is a stand alone application or built into your DVR? Once it supports Panasonic than it should work?

Anyway, ive never tried it but sounds like a good idea. .. I was reading the 516 manual and they claim you can program the OSD from the DVR setup as well as PTZ

Would this work then with the GV800 setup...

Have the Panasonic cam(s) connect into a Panasonic WJ-MP204 Data Multiplexer (Rear Pic)... then use the Panasonic WV-CU360C Controller with PS-DATA (Panasonic Security Data Link)?

I am still not certain how this 'PS-DATA' is achieved from the camera as there is only 1 RG59 output cable. Perhaps there is another, or the output video from the cam is bi-directional as well?

The pana cam, is not Bidirectional, it can communicate one way, it works by using a frequency on the Coax cable, your best bet is to go with a Bosch PTZ, the reason is they have Bilinx, this is an app that can run on a pc that does two way communication, the main reason I suggest this option is because, you can set all the presets and control the PTZ's from the bilinx as well, for example you can sit under the ptz and control its movement and settings up the coax.

It also has several modes (xf cameras) this means you can have several saved setting options and just use a relay to change between them.

For example a floodlight might come on at 8pm, then you might want to adjust the cam for this, well set the relay from the geo to close at 8pm and presto, whole new mode for the camera.