magohn

POE IP Camera - what goes where?

I have the gear but dont have the knowledge.

I am setting up a PC based IP camera system. I have :

PC

WRT54GL Router (acting as Client-Bridge and connects to my Internet)

Netgear POE Switch

I have the PC and router setup and communicating to the net. What do I plug into the switch other that the camera - and where? I was expecting to see a specific jack on the switch to connect the switch to the router/internet but all I have is powererd and non-powered CAT5 jacks.

I assume the POE IP cameras connect to the switch but does the switch then connect to the PC so the captured images can be saved to my CCTV software?

I have searched but cannot find a simple diagram shoewing the POE /PC /Router setup.

Any advice appreciated - magohn

Use one Cat 5 cable between the camera and the POE switch, and another Cat 5 cable between the switch and the router. If the switch has POE and non-POE ports, then, of course, the camera should use a POE port.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks Christopher.

So I just connect a cable from the router (in Client-Bridge) to ANY non-POE jack on the switch? I am assuming that makes the switch internet "live" and then the IP camera is setup in the monitoring software on the PC using the wireless IP address coming from the router (in Client-Bridge) mode - does that sound correct?

Sorry for the newb questions - as I stated I cant find a diagram of this setup anyplace....

You are on the right track, Non- PoE port to router, PoE port to camera, doesn't matter which one (when you get into big stuff, it can matter, this isn't one of those instances).

You will want to assign the camera a fixed (static) IP address that matches your network configuration, but numbered outside of the DHCP (automatic) IP range set in router. I.E., if your router is set to assign IP addresses automatically above, say, 192.168.1.100, use a number below that (anything other than another PC or the Gateway IP, though.)

All other camera settings should match your PC (if Windows, click start, run, type in "cmd" and then "ipconfig/all" to see what was assigned by your router)

Not to confuse things, but you don't HAVE to use a "non-PoE" port to connect your switch to your router. PoE should enable automatically on a per-port basis if there's a PoE-capable device plugged into it; if you plug in something that doesn't use PoE, then power shouldn't be enabled on that port.

BTW, any particular reason you're using the router in Bridge mode, rather than the standard NAT mode?

Not to confuse things, but you don't HAVE to use a "non-PoE" port to connect your switch to your router.

Correct. The reason to use a non-POE port to the router is to save the POE ports for other cameras, but some POE switches only have POE ports, and it's fine to connect these to the router and other non-POE devices.

Best,

Christopher

I also suggest to look at the camera specs and PoE specs. Make sure which PoE class is supported by camera and which class by switch. Some PoE switches are notorious for the poor power output - for example you only get 7W instead of 15W. And if you happen to have a camera that uses lets say 9W on PoE for onboard component (maybe heater), then it will have problems.

brother when u will connect the camera to switch, switch will not be configured at that time, so u can plug one wire( cat 6 for best results) from ur pc or laptop to the switch. Then u have to assign your pc a static IP address that will be in the same network as ur camera.

for example: if the camera IP is 192.168.0.20

then set up you laptop on IP 192.168.0.9 or something.

Then open internet explorer and type the camera Ip , u will be able to see the camera.