Jonno

View Avtech DVR via Vodafone Broadband Dongle

Hi all,

First post here and have to say site looks very good. I've read a lot of interesting posts but could do with a bit of help with this one!

I've installed an Avtech 4 ch DVR at a customers place and all works good despite the problems of a constantly changing IP address! Lesson learnt about dynamic IP's

My next problem, and getting nowhere fast, is - they want to view the DVR using a pay as you go Vodafone broadband dongle but when I try to connect via the Video Viewer software (supplied by Avtech) or Internet Explorer they shut themselves down. I've ensured there are no content restrictions on the dongle but no one seems to know how to sort this.

Has anyone any experience of this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Hi jonno.

with using vodafone i take it your in the uk ????

i use the vodafone dongle all the time to show people systems over the internet.

but you need to change the port on the dvr from 80 to 5550 to be able to view from mobile devices.

but when you look for the dvr in the remote software dont forget to add your port i.e yourip:5550

What do you mean by "shut themselves down"?

Do they just totally crash? Does this happen on Windows XP AND Vista?

There could be a memory conflict between the 2 apps, rare though, or hardware driver issues.

There could be a memory conflict between the 2 apps, rare though, or hardware driver issues.

Hi rory. i come across this problem alot with customers. like jonno.

going from pc to pc or pc to dvr with port 80 is fine. but mobile devices like smartphones or 3g data cards will not connect to anything with port 80 it just shuts ie down. by changing from port 80 on the dvr gets around this problem and going to ports around 5550 is ideal for mobile devices

Hi rory. i come across this problem alot with customers. like jonno.

going from pc to pc or pc to dvr with port 80 is fine. but mobile devices like smartphones or 3g data cards will not connect to anything with port 80 it just shuts ie down. by changing from port 80 on the dvr gets around this problem and going to ports around 5550 is ideal for mobile devices

Hi Tom & Rory & thanks for your replies. Yeah Tom I'm UK based but in South London. For information purposes this is what actually happens:

1) log onto ie or Avtechs own software.

2) Enter the IP address.

3) If on ie accept the Active X add on. (not rqd with viewer software)

4) Windows message then appears saying ie has stopped working.

This happens on both windows & vista.

I'll try changing the port to 5550 as you recommend and give it a go, but does this effect login via normal internet?

I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best & thanks again

John.

Forgot to mention, DVR is connected to a Talk Talk router but this appears to be working ok. Probably a silly question but I take it I should also change the ports on the port forwarding of the router to 5550?

Cheers

John.

ps. Rory, if you ever need a lad (well at heart anyway) to carry your tools I'm your man!

hi. jonno.

yes you need to change port forwarding on both the dvr and router.

and yes it will work as normal though ie or the viewer software.

just one thing on vista make sure you are in run as administrator.

right click IE and select run as administrator

hi. jonno.

yes you need to change port forwarding on both the dvr and router.

and yes it will work as normal though ie or the viewer software.

just one thing on vista make sure you are in run as administrator.

right click IE and select run as administrator

That's great Tom, thanks for that. I'll post up some feed back when I'm done.

John.

I dont have any problems with port 80 and Avtech DVRs here. If i did though i would normally change to port 81.

AvTech apps use Java also, if your Java is bad it wont work.

Try it in Firefox, it should work unless it is a very old version.

One way to get around any current OS issues it is to install Virtual Box and install default Windows XP inside that, just for the AvTech program. Ive actually done that a few times for other DVR apps that dont work in vista.

Also, Scorpion, a member on this forum, knows alot more about the AvTechs than most.

On a side note, AvTech has pretty much the most awful network software ive ever seen and the evidence sharing is just as bad.

Thanks Rory, I hope to get back to site later this week so will have a better idea if I'm making progress

For the money the Avtechs seem ok but I guess you get what you pay for and they seem pretty good value. What would be the nearest comparison for you?

Cheers,

John.

I dont have any problems with port 80 and Avtech DVRs here. If i did though i would normally change to port 81.

AvTech apps use Java also, if your Java is bad it wont work.

Try it in Firefox, it should work unless it is a very old version.

One way to get around any current OS issues it is to install Virtual Box and install default Windows XP inside that, just for the AvTech program. Ive actually done that a few times for other DVR apps that dont work in vista.

Also, Scorpion, a member on this forum, knows alot more about the AvTechs than most.

On a side note, AvTech has pretty much the most awful network software ive ever seen and the evidence sharing is just as bad.

hi rory. yes you are right port 80 or 81 is fine for IE but over smartphone nokia or others will not let you accsess port 80. vodafone usb works the same as smartphones so moving to high ports is best.

Jonno - Watch the Mobile dongle dosent get shut down by network for streaming as they are not allowed to constantly use it plus it will cost a fortune, i have some Temp sites set up for building contractors that use 3 dongle and usb router but they need to shut down every few hours as we've had vodafone and 3 switch them off the network in past

Avtech stuff isnt bad ... try Digiguard

Jonno - Watch the Mobile dongle dosent get shut down by network for streaming as they are not allowed to constantly use it plus it will cost a fortune, i have some Temp sites set up for building contractors that use 3 dongle and usb router but they need to shut down every few hours as we've had vodafone and 3 switch them off the network in past

Avtech stuff isnt bad ... try Digiguard

Ok Neutech, your points are noted, thanks for your interest. Certainly on a fast learning curve here! I'll have a look at the Digiguard equipment.

Cheers,

John.

Guys,

Am I missing something here This is driving me nuts. Before I changed any settings on the DVR or the router I could log onto the DVR remotely using ie.

The Talk Talk router is a Huawei echolife HG520b and in the NAT section under 'Virtual Server' you can change the start/finish port values. There are four in total which I presume (always a bad move I know) are for 2 incoming and 2 local?

I tried 5550 in all four and changed the DVR port to 5550 aswell but could not log on remotely. Still can't log on.

Can anyone far cleverer than me tell me where I'm going wrong?

Cheers

Jonno.

Is there any freeware that keeps tracking of broadband data usage? I have a broadband plan which allows 1 GB data of free usage after that my service provider will charge for each extra MB. I want to know that how to keep track of my usage.

market samurai ~ marketsamurai ~ marketsamurai.com

Edited by Guest

Hi all,

First post here and have to say site looks very good. I've read a lot of interesting posts but could do with a bit of help with this one!

I've installed an Avtech 4 ch DVR at a customers place and all works good despite the problems of a constantly changing IP address! Lesson learnt about dynamic IP's

My next problem, and getting nowhere fast, is - they want to view the DVR using a pay as you go Vodafone broadband dongle but when I try to connect via the Video Viewer software (supplied by Avtech) or Internet Explorer they shut themselves down. I've ensured there are no content restrictions on the dongle but no one seems to know how to sort this.

Has anyone any experience of this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Hi john.

i use vodafone all the time for testing my dvrs. what you need to do is change your ports for 80 as vodafone does not use them. change your dvr port to 5555 and portforward 5555 on your router. to get around your problem but when you log on remote you will need to add the port to ip ===== http://yourip:5555

Hi Tom

Long time lurker here and finally asking a question.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but the search brought up this one.

Have recently got an Apollo HD DVR and set it up and its fine for local use, but we now want to add network viewing. The problem is, we have no broadband availability at all, but yesterday we tried a Huawei E220 modem on a laptop at the site and can get a reasonable upload from O2 (Ireland).

Now my main question is if the DVR can use the modem directly just through the usb port? I cant see how it would connect etc when there is no icon to click like in Windows.

Assuming this is the case, we have an Edimax router which will take a USB modem. Is this the route we go down, and also, I presume when you plug in a usb modem into the router, it will "auto-connect"?

Hi. i have never used the Edimax router. we always use netgear 3g/4g router. mobile 3g for cctv is expensive if you dont get a security package from the likes of t-mobile or vodafone..

but since this post was started we have found another cheap way. which is though the BT FON wireless network.

you can either buy network time or change your home ISP to BT or (o2 bt) and connect free.

this will allow you to use a wireless router at DVR site. so do a search (wireless network) at dvr site and see if you can get either BT FON or BT hotspot

Very sorry!

Never realised I had a reply until I was browsing just now

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, but as I am in Southern Ireland I am very limited in what I can use.

Turns out that Vodafone, Meteor, 3, and emobile have no coverage here, but O2 has "marginal" coverage and we have set it up using the Edimax.

It does the job, but we really need to look at attaching a 3G antenna as the signal is very poor and drops now and again, but once it comes back on line, the Dyndns works fine and port forwarding was all very straight forward