markpow

Which camera to buy? 3.6mm or 8m lens?

I have two cameras in mind that i wish to add to my system.

The specs of the first one are:

• 1/3" Color Sony SUPER HDD CCD

• 520 Tv Lines

• 60 IR LED Night Vision 150 ft View

• Watherproof IP67

• Lens: 3.6 mm

• 0.8 Lux (led off)

• Dimension 174X103X95 MM

• 12VDC

the specs of the second one are:

• 1/3" Color Sony Super HAD CCD

• 520 Tv Lines

• 36 F8 IR LED Night Vision 150 ft View

• Watherproof (IP67)

• Lens: 8mm auto ires

• 0.8 Lux (led off)

• Vandal Proof

• 12VDC power supply included

Both of these cameras look identical in the seller's pictures and they both cost the same amount. Which one should I buy, 3.6mm or 8mm? I want the one that will give me the best overall picture. Whats the difference between just saying 60IR LED's and saying 36 F8 LED's?

Which one should I buy, 3.6mm or 8mm? I want the one that will give me the best overall picture.

There is no right or wrong answer. Neither will give you a "better" overall picture. Which lens you need all depends on your application.

A 3.6mm lens will give you a much wider angle picture. 8mm is zoomed in more and will have a narrower field of view.

As a beginner, I would suggest going with a varifocal lens to make your installation easier, and take the guess-work out of it.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.ezcctv.com/cctv-lens-guide.htm

And another:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

What you need to do is to make clear where do you want to place your camera. And how about the distance between your camera and target, or say how about the range of the field you are supposed to watch. 3.6mm brings you wider view angle, while 8mm can make you view further.

Good luck!

What you need to do is to make clear where do you want to place your camera. And how about the distance between your camera and target, or say how about the range of the field you are supposed to watch. 3.6mm brings you wider view angle, while 8mm can make you view further.

Good luck!

Well said!

The 3.6mm lens will give you distance distortion, but it will "gain" extra peripheral vision.

The 8mm lens will not have distance distortion, and it will gain a little bit of zoom in to the distance. You will not have as much peripheral vision.

A balance between the two would be 6mm.

The 8mm would be my choice depending on the above statement.

How far is the viewing area from the camera? What are you watching?

Both of these cameras look identical in the seller's pictures and they both cost the same amount. Which one should I buy, 3.6mm or 8mm? I want the one that will give me the best overall picture. Whats the difference between just saying 60IR LED's and saying 36 F8 LED's?

There is a big difference between the amount of IR LEDs. We as installers cannot go by the paperwork.

The reason being is the environment dictates the amount of LEDs you will need. Once you work with a set of cameras, then you know which one to use. If we order a new camera that we have never worked with then we have to put it in to the environment, and see how it does.

A wide angle lens camera with a long throw of IR is a waste due to the distance distortion. The face is going to be so far away that you cannot tell who it is. The long range will allow you to see the background.

A long throw lens (8mm is not a long throw) with a short distance IR is not effective.

The design of the LED is a factor as well. Some LEDs are designed to throw a distance, and some are designed to spread it wide. Some cameras may have a combination of both.

I am willing to bet that you are buying these cameras because they are in a budget price range.

If you are basing your buying decision on a budget then it truely does not matter. It would be better off finding someone who has actually used the camera, and find out their experience.

If you must have "best overall picture" then buy a camera designed for the spec.