alpine0000

PICTURES: Installing Panasonic dome outside under eave

just a thought, with camera 4, if you turn it a little anti clockwise then bring the right up a little, you should be able to get the driveway as well

just a thought, with camera 4, if you turn it a little anti clockwise then bring the right up a little, you should be able to get the driveway as well

thanks rory

actually, i want to have the whole front door step in the picture so i can see if i have packages. i can probably compromise and move it a bit to get a small portion of the driveway in that picture, but instead i am just going to install another dome that will cover the entire driveway/mailbox area on channel 6. i already ran the wire for it, now i am just waiting on the camera

Now i just need to figure out what to do with channel 7 and channel 8. i have 3 box cameras sitting in my tool box doing nothing... hmm

thanks rory

actually, i want to have the whole front door step in the picture so i can see if i have packages. i can probably compromise and move it a bit to get a small portion of the driveway in that picture, but instead i am just going to install another dome that will cover the entire driveway/mailbox area on channel 6. i already ran the wire for it, now i am just waiting on the camera

Now i just need to figure out what to do with channel 7 and channel 8. i have 3 box cameras sitting in my tool box doing nothing... hmm

An excellent idea... and I recommend it. I have a camera that serves that purpose, and it's been a godsend if something gets delivered when I'm out of town. Make a phone call to a neighbor or relative to pick it up, and it prevents the package from sitting on your front porch for a week, screaming "LOOK! NOBODY'S HOME!" while you're gone.

thanks rory

An excellent idea... and I recommend it. I have a camera that serves that purpose, and it's been a godsend if something gets delivered when I'm out of town. Make a phone call to a neighbor or relative to pick it up, and it prevents the package from sitting on your front porch for a week, screaming "LOOK! NOBODY'S HOME!" while you're gone.

If you don't mind a wider view, you can get a 2.2mm fixed wide angle lens, PLA22T3DN, for that cam, might get you all the coverage you need...Less detail, though. And the lens is on really tight from the factory, at first I thought I was going to break something.

thanks rory

If you don't mind a wider view, you can get a 2.2mm fixed wide angle lens, PLA22T3DN, for that cam, might get you all the coverage you need...Less detail, though. And the lens is on really tight from the factory, at first I thought I was going to break something.

You too? I had one 484S dome that I literally couldn't get the factory lens off. I stopped cranking on it because I didn't want to break the camera.

thanks rory

You too? I had one 484S dome that I literally couldn't get the factory lens off. I stopped cranking on it because I didn't want to break the camera.

Yes, I changed the lenses on four of them a while back, and on the first one, I spent a long time looking for a setscrew or something I missed, until I decided to turn it that hard.

I was fairly sure something would break... But nothing did, on any of them.

Pano's are tough animals, for sure.

I got another Panasonic 484 dome a few days ago, and just installed it this afternoon. I installed it under the eave of my roof, just like the pictures of my first install on the deck in post #1 of this thread. Exact same method.

Here is a quick screenshot at dusk tonight. It almost has the fisheye-effect with the lens zoomed all the way out, as you can tell from looking at the top of the image.

That lamp post next to my truck turns on when it gets dark. I am interested to see how it affects the picture at night time with that bright light right in the center of the scene.

It is def not the ideal situation, but we will see what happens...

112829_1.jpg

I have two more channels left on my DVR. I have a decent box camera that I want to hook up on channel 7 (just not sure where I want to install the camera yet), and I am thinking of putting a roof-top Panasonic PTZ camera on channel 8 for funsies

Well, I am still deciding if I am happy with this night-time shot or not. What do you guys think?

The light isnt as blinding as I thought it'd be -- the camera handles it pretty well. It would be a lot better if the light was out of the camera's view, but oh well.

9:30pm, totally pitch dark sky. Scene lit only by landscape lights and post lamp automatically each night.

127703_1.jpg

Looks fine. That seems like a serious light though to do that to the Pano camera .. and sure if the light was off to the side it might be better .. but for now its a good night shot. Have you looked at maybe mounting it more to the very left and then at an angle to perhaps get a wider fov?

just some constructive criticism...

These are all overview cameras[up high],

1/ If they wear a hat/hood the face will be invisible.

2/ you need to read number plates.

so I would suggest some ID cams at face level near the door and a 16/25mm lens looking at the driveway.

And lock box with the DVR inside.

z

That seems like a serious light though to do that to the Pano camera

Whatcha mean? Could that ruin the camera aiming it at a bright light like that?

just some constructive criticism...

These are all overview cameras[up high],

1/ If they wear a hat/hood the face will be invisible.

2/ you need to read number plates.

so I would suggest some ID cams at face level near the door and a 16/25mm lens looking at the driveway.

And lock box with the DVR inside.

z

How you know they arent coming through the back window?

Why does he need to read number plates? Its just a house.

That seems like a serious light though to do that to the Pano camera

Whatcha mean? Could that ruin the camera aiming it at a bright light like that?

No just saying ... it handles it well though.

guys I see this all the time,

A dude pulls in your driveway while your out and kicks your door in.

So far you know what sort of car it is -thats it! the cops will ask what's the rego number -sorry cant get that -DOH

He`s wearing a baseball cap as all thieves do -all you have is a logo on his head -again the cops ask did you get a shot of his face ?

front or rear you need a ID camera at face level. at the choke points

As for the lighting yes! it's not good so change it to suit.

I would put a 10w globe in there just to keep "the look" put a light baffle so it does not effect the camera so much and put some lighting on the house pointing outwards to assist the camera`s -motion sensing would be fine.

so:

A 16mm lens costs $20 if that and it will grab the plates -well worth it.

A camera like a pin-hole at the front door at face level is a winner every time ! for ID`s. maybe $50 for that

remember "only the paranoid survive".....

if you were really "paranoid" like I am, you would have bars on the inside of your steel door and bars at all the windows, additionally you would have an alarm with multiple loud sirens, hide machetes all over the yard in strategic spots, and carry weapons everytime you walk inside and outside the home.

Yes the camera is placed quite high but you can place it at face height and still not catch their face unless you perhaps install 100 cameras covering every single angle and every single spot. If they are wearing a mask then bingo no face. If the sun hits the camera/face the wrong way then bingo no face, if it is dark and their face is dark unless you point a light right on their face, bingo no face. So many things so many options .. what do we do? I dont think he wants to literally install cameras ALL over his property .. that can get quite expensive

Also, I see people get stabbed all the time and ID the suspects on camera and I dont need a face ID camera to do that, as for license plates, plates are useless here anyway as no real database exists, but he will need more than one camera to catch plates as its a wide area. Using the images I have seen so far, and thats based on smaller more compressed networked video as opposed to the actual recorded video, I am certain I would catch the criminal, but hey thats me, and I live in a different country

Camera view looks good to me as a "who they hell is that in my driveway" view.Good enough for me to grab the pistol and investigate!

So far you know what sort of car it is -thats it! the cops will ask what's the rego number -sorry cant get that -DOH

He`s wearing a baseball cap as all thieves do -all you have is a logo on his head -again the cops ask did you get a shot of his face ?

I would put a 10w globe in there just to keep "the look" put a light baffle so it does not effect the camera so much and put some lighting on the house pointing outwards to assist the camera`s -motion sensing would be fine.

so:

A camera like a pin-hole at the front door at face level is a winner every time ! for ID`s. maybe $50 for that

LOL. I dont want plate numbers and im not as paranoid as you are i guess. This is just a hobby for me.

If you read the whole thread youd know that I do have a camera at the front door already.

so:

LOL. I dont want plate numbers and im not as paranoid as you are i guess. This is just a hobby for me.

If you read the whole thread youd know that I do have a camera at the front door already.

Remember... just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out there.

Nice pictures... You might be able to solve that light problem with a single piece of duct tape on the camera side of that light.

You might be able to solve that light problem with a single piece of duct tape on the camera side of that light.

Funny you mention that. Today I was just thinking about doing something like that.

Made some fine-tune adjustments to image angles/focus today.

No real choke points, just monitoring the house so I can check-in when I'm out of town.

I still need to address the light problem in the front yard. I think I will try putting some duct tape over the backside of that light and see if that works. If not, I'll try some other ideas I have.

full_screenshot4-1.jpg