thewireguys

Just ordered a Basler BIP-1300DN with images

Just opened the box and this 1.3DN camera is very small. Fits in the palm of your hang without a lens on. This the smallest IP camera I have seen, but they don't make matching small housing yet so it defeats the purpose if you have to put it in a housing (they said they are working on this). It is built like a tank with a all metal housing and has some weight to it.

This has a 1/3" Sony EXview HAD progressive scan RGB CCD sensor with a IR cut filter and auto iris with a max res of 1280 by 960. Max frame rates depends on the the compression MJPEG = 11 MPEG-4 =9 and H.264 =7. (this is what is in the manual but they have different specs on there site.)

Web setup is very easy and clean. Motion detection works like Milestone and OnSSI. Works with IE and Firefox.

I don't have any MP auto iris lens laying around so my first impressions of the images aren't that great with analog res lens. I did put on a 2/3 Computar manual MP lens that I have and the pic looked much better.

That's it for now

Edited by Guest

Throw a Fujinon YV4.3X2.8SA-SA2 on it, that's what Panasonic uses on the 502's.. I've got some 502 sample images, I'm interested in a comparison.

The Basler looked pretty good at ISC, I've thought about getting one, let me know how it works.

Throw a Fujinon YV4.3X2.8SA-SA2 on it, that's what Panasonic uses on the 502's.. I've got some 502 sample images ...

Have you posted any 502 night images? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one myself. I've heard the images with that lens are exceptional. Would love to see some examples.

Best,

Christopher

Robert, could you please post some screenshots here or mail me them? We would like to compare Basler cameras with cameras from others vendors

It's definitely one of the more attractive looking IP box cameras I've seen. Is it just me or does Arecont's box cameras look like something from the 70's? The first time I laid eyes on one I thought "there's no way that ugly thing captured THAT beautiful picture."

It's definitely one of the more attractive looking IP box cameras I've seen. Is it just me or does Arecont's box cameras look like something from the 70's? The first time I laid eyes on one I thought "there's no way that ugly thing captured THAT beautiful picture."

Did you use MJPEG or H.264 on Arecont? MJPEG looks of course pretty and better then H.264

Did you use MJPEG or H.264 on Arecont? MJPEG looks of course pretty and better then H.264

Both. I was commenting on the camera's physical appearance, not the picture quality.

Both. I was commenting on the camera's physical appearance, not the picture quality.

Arecont's design reminds me of an AK47....... Very simple design and cheap but effetive.

Also the H.264 and MJpeg qualty are the same if setup correctly.

So far the Areont has a better image, frame rates and the motion detection is easier to setup.

But like I said I don't have a MP lens for it yet.

images......

Arecont AV3155DN 3MP Arecont 4-10lens

111414_1.jpg

Basler 1.3DN with Tamaron 2.8-12 Analog lens

111414_2.jpg

Axis P3301

111414_3.jpg

KT&C analog color high res built camera with a Axis Q4701 encoder.

111414_4.jpg

Thanks for posting these images. The purple fringing in the Arecont image is horrific, but for a security camera, it's not critical. It does suggest, however, that these images could be further improved with refinements to the firmware.

Don't recall, have you posted the low light comparison images?

Best,

Christopher

Thanks for posting these images. The purple fringing in the Arecont image is horrific, but for a security camera, it's not critical. It does suggest, however, that these images could be further improved with refinements to the firmware.

Don't recall, have you posted the low light comparison images?

Best,

Christopher

Where do you see purple in the Arecont? That is not the best lens I have for the Arecont but it is the only one I have so all cameras will have close to the same FOV

Where do you see purple in the Arecont?

Check the leaves near the top of the image. If this were a digicam, you could not give them away. Of course, it's a security cam and low light performance is far more important.

I have one of the very first Canon D30 digital SLRs produced. The 3 MP images from that circa 2001 camera were incredible. Yes, I know that's comparing apples and turnips, but what a revolutionary camera that was.

Best,

Christopher

Where do you see purple in the Arecont?

Check the leaves near the top of the image. If this were a digicam, you could not give them away. Of course, it's a security cam and low light performance is far more important.

I have one of the very first Canon D30 digital SLRs produced. The 3 MP images from that circa 2001 camera were incredible. Yes, I know that's comparing apples and turnips, but what a revolutionary camera that was.

Best,

Christopher

I see but my point is comparing megapixel to analog.

If you think the Arecont looks bad then what are your thoughts on the Basler?

This camera is interesting and I will be honest and tell you this is the first CCD megapixel camera I have played with with auto iris.

This is an image with the default factory settings. The camera tries to lower the exposure time to 1/1 and auto adjust the gain.

This image the exposure time is 1/100 and gain is 0.

But the image just doesn't look sharp and the colors are dull.

111523_1.jpg

I see but my point is comparing megapixel to analog.

If you think the Arecont looks bad then what are your thoughts on the Basler?

I don't think the Arecont looks bad for a security camera, and in fact, the Arecont was the best of the group by a wide margin. The Basler is a bit pixelated, but still quite good for day use. Would be curious to see the same comparisons at night. I expect the Arecont would kick butt.

Best,

Christopher

But the image just doesn't look sharp and the colors are dull.

It does lack some contrast, which could be the lens, or it could be the firmware or some setting does not correctly adjust the contrast. It also appears to be soft, which again could be the lens or possible the focus.

That said, my Axis 223M is about the same wrt contrast and focus. I could probably play with the focus a bit more, but it's a pain to adjust, particularly at night with IR.

Best,

Christopher

I checked the Basler image in Photoshop. As I expected, the exposure is off quite a bit. There are no pixel values between 0 - 40 in the darker regions, and the sky is blown. If the shutter had been increased by one full stop, I expect the contrast in the image would look much better (though it would still be soft).

Best,

Christopher

i'd go with the kt&c cause its so much cheaper (actually I would go CNB as its even cheaper and just as good/better), i would put the left over money into my jeep's transmission, if i had the money that is. all of them look somewhat out of focus. Also never heard of an analog lens. archont is obviously the best though also out of focus, maybe just the lens. Im going to be playing with EX82 with Infrared and Sanyo DN Domes tonight, should be exciting. Im rebuilding/gutting some old EX82s

now for the money shots

These are all default settings

Basler with a 1/1.3 exposure setting and gain at 26db (This is what the auto setting came up with)

There is a car going by

111543_1.jpg

Basler again ( exposure offset to -56 switched the auto day/night to night and i limited the gain to 6dband set it to "prioritize framerate" also I refocused the camera for night

111543_2.jpg

Arecont 3155DN (default)

111543_3.jpg

Arecont 3130DN (default)

111543_4.jpg

Edited by Guest

What are the shutter speeds on the Arecont cameras?

Best,

Christopher

Let me check I was trying to get a good image from the Basler then I was going to work on the Areconts.

And the lens on the Basler is a Tamron 2.8-12 with a F1.4