milancole

recommendation for 8/9 channel linux dvr for around $1000

Hi,

I'd appreciate any users recommendation for a reliable standalone 8/9 channel DVR for around $1000. The use is for a 1-acre residence with 6-8 affordable ($100-$200 each) analog cameras.

I strongly lean towards linux OS based DVRs for reliability reasons. It must be web-enabled and easy to use. I'd prefer something with the OS on a flash/ssd drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I am shocked that no one has jumped on this one to answer your question. In short for that kind of money you will be able to get a nice 8 channel stand alone Linux DVR. I have to admit though, not sure what you mean by Operating System on a flash/ssd drive.

What type of specs are you looking for other than those described as far as recording resolution, frames per second, etc. There are many good DVR's on the market that will fall into that price range. It really depends on your expectations and needs.

We just need a bit more information. What type of monitoring will the sytem be used for??

Thanks

Mike

yes, i mean a system on a chip design. i don't want the OS to be on the hard drive that is used for data storage (this sounds less reliable IMHO).

I'm looking at this Avermedia product, though "16 channels" seems a little bit overkill and the price is closer to ~$1500 online...

www dot avermedia-usa dot com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=64

the monitoring is just general residential security cameras. we will have the 8 feeds broadcast to all the tvs in the house plus access over the web.

yes, i mean a system on a chip design. i don't want the OS to be on the hard drive that is used for data storage (this sounds less reliable IMHO).

I'm looking at this Avermedia product, though "16 channels" seems a little bit overkill and the price is closer to ~$1500 online...

www dot avermedia-usa dot com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=64

the monitoring is just general residential security cameras. we will have the 8 feeds broadcast to all the tvs in the house plus access over the web.

The OS's on almost all DVR's (linux based stand-alones) are stored on the motherboard and not on the hard drive. The hard drives are used strictly for storage of the captured video.

You shouldn't have to spend that much

8 Channel with 1 Terabyte drive. I got mine and it is pretty sweet.

[edited: admin removed link]

Edited by Guest

You shouldn't have to spend that much

8 Channel with 1 Terabyte drive. I got mine and it is pretty sweet.

"pretty sweet" huh? Well, it may be, but for that price I bet (from the specs) "•Recording Rate-720X480 pixels at 30 FPS" does not mean that it does that for every channel. What is the recording res and max frames for each channel? By the way "•Real time 8 channel DVR, 30FPS per camera, 240FPS total capability" listed under features is the viewing resolution, not the recording (I'm assuming)

I have found that sites that sell DVR's and conveniently leave out this pertinent info or massage it like above, do that for a reason to confuse the novice shopper.

That's a good point. The user manual does talk about 30fps per channel live and recorded. So I think that means realtime?

It still may record at 30FPS per channel but I doubt it will do that at the 720x480 res, it probably drops it down to CIF 352 × 288. Check it out and lets see.

i recommend this:

http://www.shoreviewsecurityusa.com/Intellicam_JS_8RTA_D1_8_Channel_Enterprise_Class_D_p/sv8rtad1.htm

It's a little more than your $1,000 budget, but well worth it if you can swing it. Otherwise, if you dont need the D1, you can choose a model that is less expensive and closer to your budget.

I have last years model of that DVR, and I love it I just added another 1tb in drive space this past weekend.

Mike (shoreview) usually has one set up online that he will give you temporary access to if you want to check out a live demo. Check out this link to get access:

http://www.shoreviewsecurityusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=132

Here is a screenshot of mine using the web login interface

110975_1.jpg

It still may record at 30FPS per channel but I doubt it will do that at the 720x480 res, it probably drops it down to CIF 352 × 288. Check it out and lets see.

i am with dopalgangr. not only do you have recording issues with this unit but a good giveaway is remote is only java or quick play. which means you cant playback footage remote viewer. just screens and no controls.