versello

Axis video encoders + Pelco Spectra III w/ Coaxitron?

Hi,

Forgive me if I don't speak the right lingo, but I am looking at implementing the Axis camera suite (Camera station with a few Axis video encoders).

Our environment consists of a few Dedicated Micros Digital Sprite 2 DVR's connected to Pelco Spectra III domes. I am led to believe they use Coaxitron because of the lack of a separate control cable running from the DVR to the cameras.

What I am unsure of is if the Axis Q7404 supports our Spectra III's with PTZ capability. I know the Axis Q7404 documentation says support the Spectra III, but it looks like it uses separate control cables for PTZ. Does this mean I am SOL? What are my alternatives?

Thank you.

Axis encoders use a separate 485/232 control cable.

If you only have RG-59 to the cameras you could use this product from Veracity which will send Ethernet Over Video Cable.

http://www.veracityusa.com/products/hwpoe/hwpoe.php

Then I would use single Axis encoders M7001 at the cameras.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m7001/index.htm

Also I would recommend 3 party NVR software. What happens if you want to use a camera from a different manufacture down this line. If you use Axis NVR your SOL.

thewireguys,

Thanks for the input. So you're suggesting replacing the camera with an IP camera? Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to replace several cameras across two buildings.

Curious though, how would the Axis encoder you're recocmend get me around the lack of Coaxitron support?

Thanks.

thewireguys,

Thanks for the input. So you're suggesting replacing the camera with an IP camera? Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to replace several cameras across two buildings.

Curious though, how would the Axis encoder you're recocmend get me around the lack of Coaxitron support?

Thanks.

No you would not be replacing the camera you would be placing the encoders at the cameras so you can use the 485 to control the Pelco Spectra III domes.

You picked a 4 channel encoder, the link I send you was for 4 single channel encoders installed at the cameras using Veracity's Ethernet over RG-59 cable.

So at my camera, install the single channel Axis encoder, which connects immediately into the Highwire device? The Axis encoder gets its power from the Highwire device. The Highwire device draws power from the camera's power source?

Coax from Highwire back down to my switch closet, which has another Highwire to convert coax back to cat5?

So then my problem is finding a secure housing to store the devices with the dome camera.

Thanks again!

So at my camera, install the single channel Axis encoder, which connects immediately into the Highwire device? The Axis encoder gets its power from the Highwire device. The Highwire device draws power from the camera's power source?

Coax from Highwire back down to my switch closet, which has another Highwire to convert coax back to cat5?

So then my problem is finding a secure housing to store the devices with the dome camera.

Thanks again!

Now you see the light!!! PM me if you have any questions..... Where are you located at?

If you want to keep all the hardware at the headend, the Pelco CM9760-CXTA would let you convert the wired RS-422 data format from encoders, to Coaxitron for up to 16 channels. You would need to use a single, multichannel encoder, though, to make connecting the PTZ data lines easier.

If you want to keep all the hardware at the headend, the Pelco CM9760-CXTA would let you convert the wired RS-422 data format from encoders, to Coaxitron for up to 16 channels. You would need to use a single, multichannel encoder, though, to make connecting the PTZ data lines easier.

He could use the Q4704.... It has individual connectors for each RS-422.

The CM9760CXTA only has a single RS422 input to 16 looping Coaxitron outputs, it would be easiest if he used a multichannel encoder that has a single RS422 output for all PTZ's, otherwise he will need a RS422 data merger to feed all the encoder outputs to one input on the CM9760CXTA.

I've used these in the past to allow a DVR to control multiple Coaxitron cameras, should work the same with encoders.

Bolide also has a single channel model DR-AD300 and a 16 channel model DR-AD3016. Do about the same thing as the Pelco model above, and also appears to support other protocols. Haven't tried them, though.

IF they work, they are probably quite a bit cheaper. I know the Pelco unit will work for this purpose, though.

Other option depending on why you want the axis would be to leave the DS2 in, and connect the axis encoder to its loop through terminals.

Then you would still use the current PTZ keyboard to control those cameras.

Not sure about the DS2 keyboard, but most are rs232/485 and you could connect it to an IP encoder to get to to where the axis control center is.

The CM9760CXTA only has a single RS422 input to 16 looping Coaxitron outputs, it would be easiest if he used a multichannel encoder that has a single RS422 output for all PTZ's, otherwise he will need a RS422 data merger to feed all the encoder outputs to one input on the CM9760CXTA.

I've used these in the past to allow a DVR to control multiple Coaxitron cameras, should work the same with encoders.

I have also used the 9760 to do the same thing. They work well and are the best solution to the problem.

Just reading some old threads. I think this should be Q7404, is that right?

Best,

Christopher