I'm setting up a lorex system with a total of 8 cameras. 4 voice, 4 just video. I want to split the signal from 3 of the voice cameras to go to two seperate monitors. The cameras have a 6 pin DIN connector. I want to use a Universal DIN to BNC Cable to convert the 6 pin DIN to a BNC then use a BNC "T" or splitter to split the signal. My question is will the BNC wire and connector carry sound and video? Or does a BNC just carry video?

Thanks

First, there is no "universal" DIN-to-BNC adapter, as there is no standard for the DIN pinouts and different manufacturers will use their own pinout arrangements. You'd need to find out exactly what pinouts your system uses, then either find an adapter that matches *on ALL pins*, or build the adapter yourself.

Second, the reason there are 6 pins is because there are three separate cable pairs in the camera wire - one pair each for video, audio, and power. There is no (cheap and easy) way to combine audio and video to run over a single wire.

You need your adapter to split out the pairs, and then terminate each of those appropriately. If it's any help, it doesn't matter whether the video or audio pairs use RCA or BNC connectors - BNC is most common for professional video; RCA is most common for audio and also often used for consumer video.

This is a project that I would run from as fast as you can.

If you are the owner of the equipment then it does not matter. In otherwords you are all ready working for free per se.

There is no way to break out of the din cable, and then put the signal back in to the din cable.

cutting the wire would be the only way, but the wires are two small, and a pain.

This is a common pinout for Samsung, and I think it is the same for some of the Lorex.

RJ 11 PINOUT

1 SPEAKER (+)

2 VIDEO_OUT

3 GND

4 SPEAKER (-)

5 AUDIO_OUT/ALARM_OUT

6 12V DC

Back of Camera!

Clip up, contacts down

This is a common pinout for Samsung, and I think it is the same for some of the Lorex.

RJ 11 PINOUT

1 SPEAKER (+)

2 VIDEO_OUT

3 GND

4 SPEAKER (-)

5 AUDIO_OUT/ALARM_OUT

6 12V DC

Back of Camera!

Clip up, contacts down

Yeah, but he was asking about DIN connectors

But this illustrates another problem: it's not always JUST audio and video out (from camera) and power in... some will also have alarm triggers (camera with built-in PIR, for example), and some will have a speaker in the camera for bi-directional audio (so you can talk back to whoever is in front of the camera).

All this makes a LOT of different possibilities for use of the six available pins.

I am not a professional I am helping a friend hook this up in her studio. She wants the desk area and three dance rooms covered with voice cameras. She then wants the signal split from the three dance rooms and sent to 3 seperate monitors in the lobby so the parents can sit and watch their kids in the dance rooms. I have hooked up a Lorex before in one of her other dance studios that was a little different where we did the same thing having two seperate monitors. It had "jumpers" built into it that you would plug in your 6 pin into the back of the monitor and directly under each 6 pin input was a bnc connector. This bnc would act as a lead out when using the 6 pin as an input. Lorex sells something called a "Universal DIN to BNC Cable". It has three connectors on one end. A power input, bnc, and rca. The other end is 6 pin. The problem is there are no rca inputs on the back of the Lorex system for audio. I do not need sound to go to the second monitor just video. I think we are going to have to use video only cameras in the dance rooms. These come with BNC connectors not 6 pin. That I know how to split.

sounds like a good job for splice and tape

no audio on coax, video only, run audio with telco cable or RCA cable, or audio cable ..

Not to muddle things, but for the sake of accuracy, you actually CAN run audio on coax... just not the SAME coax as the video. You can also run video on audio-type RCA wires, which as often as not are coax as well - those red and white RCA-tipped cables you normally see for audio are two thin coax wires.

Not to muddle things, but for the sake of accuracy, you actually CAN run audio on coax... just not the SAME coax as the video.

Hi soundy running sound/video/power/ ptz controls down coax is now very common.

Not to muddle things, but for the sake of accuracy, you actually CAN run audio on coax... just not the SAME coax as the video.

Hi soundy running sound/video/power/ ptz controls down coax is now very common.

i realize that, but as i already said, 'There is no (cheap and easy) way to combine audio and video to run over a single wire', particularly in the context of this thread.

I used to have a Lorex unit. Just below each DIN input for the cameras is a BNC connector. It's there so you don't have to use crap proprietary camera if you don't want to. I'm wondering if the DIN and BNC video arn't just looped together? Meaning, try plugging in the DIN for the camera and use the BNC input for the same channel as a "Video Out" for a monitor?

I used to have a Lorex unit. Just below each DIN input for the cameras is a BNC connector. It's there so you don't have to use crap proprietary camera if you don't want to. I'm wondering if the DIN and BNC video arn't just looped together? Meaning, try plugging in the DIN for the camera and use the BNC input for the same channel as a "Video Out" for a monitor?

This system does not have that option. Another that I installed did and it worked great. Were just going to go with the video only cameras.