markpow

Horizonal lines on TV screen

I have purchased a new Siamese BNC cable with power and video. The problem is that When I hook it up to the camera, there are some wavy horizontal lines on the screen. I though maybe it was because the cable was in a bundle but then I unwinded it and the same thing is happening. I also used a different cable that I have on the same camera and there were no lines. This cable is 100 feet long and the other one I used was 60 feet, I need the 100 foot one for a camera farther from the DVR. Could this be some kind of interference or is the cable just bad? I double checked all my connections to makes sure they were pushed in all the way and they were.

I have purchased a new Siamese BNC cable with power and video. The problem is that When I hook it up to the camera, there are some wavy horizontal lines on the screen. I though maybe it was because the cable was in a bundle but then I unwinded it and the same thing is happening. I also used a different cable that I have on the same camera and there were no lines. This cable is 100 feet long and the other one I used was 60 feet, I need the 100 foot one for a camera farther from the DVR. Could this be some kind of interference or is the cable just bad? I double checked all my connections to makes sure they were pushed in all the way and they were.

can you tell us what size power supply you are using and do your cameras have ir on them ???

It is hard to say.

You may have some kind of interference present, and you do not see it as much with the one cable, and more so with the other.

At first I thought you had a ground loop problem, but switching cables would rule that out. The question is: When you swap cables are they hooked up the same?

I would take a hand held monitor. Using the cable that gives you the problem then I would hook this up to the camera. I would just use the power side, and plug my monitor in to the camera directly. Does the hand held monitor show the problem? If yes this may be a power supply problem, and the power wire is not a large enough gage to let the juice flow. If the video looks good then hook up the video cable to the camera, and then go to the other end. Hook up your hand held monitor to see what it looks like. This should eliminate the groud loop problem.

Now what do you see? If bad, then I would say a bad cable. If it looks good then connect it to the original monitor. If it goes bad, then you might have a ground loop problem.

What do you think?

the specs of the wire are:

# 100 foot White Premade Siamese CCTV Cable with Power Wire

# Coax Cable: 26AWG Mini-Coax with BNC Male Connectors

# Power Wire: 22AWG with (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm Female Power Jack and (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm Male Power Plug

The camera is using a 1 amp psu and yes it does have IR on it but the horizontal lines appear weather IR is on or off.

I am thinking 60 cycle hum which means you might be leaking ac in the power supply.

I keep a 12 volt wall wart for testing. Plug this cable in to your test power supply, and see what you get. If it goes away then the power supply is the issue, or it is a ground loop issue.

It may be that the first cable has better copper, or a larger guage, and the DC resistance may be low enough for the camera to work fine, and the other cable may have mixed alloy copper, or a smaller guage, and the DC resistance is higher, but this will not effect the AC, and therefore you see the 60 cycle hum bars in the video.

I truely do not know as I would have to be there to see it.

A secondary transformer, or the monitor test should get you through the troubleshooting sequence.

I forgot!!!!

Some of these premade cables come with RCA ends, and they provide an RCA to BNC adapter. Once in a blue moon you might get one that gives you troubles.

Pull the adapter, and switch it with another.

I am not sure if this is the case with you, but for others who find this post it might help them.

ok so here is what I did.

I checked to see if it was a psu issue like you said so I took a 500 ma psu and switched it with the 1 amp one and the lines are now hardly visible. I guess the power line cant handle a 1 amp current. The lines are still there but they are barley noticeable now with the 500 ma psu.

the specs of the wire are:

# 100 foot White Premade Siamese CCTV Cable with Power Wire

# Coax Cable: 26AWG Mini-Coax with BNC Male Connectors

# Power Wire: 22AWG with (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm Female Power Jack and (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm Male Power Plug

The camera is using a 1 amp psu and yes it does have IR on it but the horizontal lines appear weather IR is on or off.

1amp over 100m is your problem change your power supplys 12v/3amp or 12v/5amp