able1

Looking for help on a wireless camera project

Hello all,

I have been around long enough and read enough here to know that wireless cameras and receivers are a huge PITA. I got it, I really do. However I have a customer that doesn't and is hard to get him off the idea.

What I am looking for is some small cameras to place in a house that would be connected to a receiver that could handle 4 cameras and then send those individual signals to seperate inputs of a DVR for recording.

Most of the stuff I have found is either a single channel receiver, which I would need to have 4 receivers or a unit that will take the 4 cameras and output to a single quad screen. Not going to work on this application.

As always dollars is a issue here but it is possible it will sure beat running coax on the walls and ceiling of this old house.

Again I fully understand the transmission and quality of picture problems. I am just looking for a little direction on a product that may just give me a bit of an edge. This whole thing gives me goosebumps.

Thanks to all that reply.

How about four separate wireless baby monitor systems? Just take the little homogeneous monitors they come with and duct-tape them all together in a quad-display layout

Sorry, just my morning silliness talking. How about WiFi cameras, a basic draft-N wireless router (11n for better range and speed, even if the cameras are 11g), and a simple NVR? I know WiFi cameras aren't generally cheap in and of themselves, but compared to finding the four-channel receiver you're looking for, it may be a most cost-effective option overall.

In good faith, I'm going to do something I probably will not do again, and post a link to some analog wireless stuff... Take a look at http://www.astrotelusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=248 . I have not used this particular product, but I've used other wireless stuff from them before, and other sites sell their stuff as well. Seems to be better stuff, out of a bad lot.... Good luck, may the force be strong with you, you've been warned...... We beg of you, repent soon...

I have not dealt with this vendor, but any vendor who puts the manual as a link right on the website gets my vote (in the entry level market)!

I see the DVR uses the J arrow for select. I have seen this menu in similiar OEM 4 channel DVRs, and those that I worked with were decent based on the price.

I wondered if this DVR scanned the the four cameras individually, or if it received all four video feeds at the same time.

It is hard to know with out putting your hands directly on one. The manual says that each camera has to be set to different channes! Nice! I am going to guess that it receives all cameras at the same time rather than sanning them individually.

I like the idea of the "all in one concept". The only thing that I do not like having the receiver built in to the DVR is the distance limitation of the camera in relation to the DVR, and the amount of walls one penetrates.

What is interesting is that it appears to have BNC inputs, and these are switchable between video, and RF. Now if you have problems with a camera you can get another receiver, and place it for best reception, and wire this back to the DVR.

One problem with having 4 separate receivers is based on the design of the receivers. I have seen some receivers where you press a button, and it switches to the next channel. If you want to receive channel 4 then you press the button 3 times (it is allready on ch 1). The problem with this style verses the sliding switch to select camera channels is that when the power goes out it defaults back to channel 1. Now you have a loss of video until the receivers are set up again.

I have not dealt with this vendor, but any vendor who puts the manual as a link right on the website gets my vote (in the entry level market)!

Amen to that (and not just entry-level - a lot of the big guys make it difficult if not impossible to find documentation online, too.

At times you have to walk away from jobs that will haunt you. You are the professional. Bad word of mouth I avoid at all costs regardless if you have advised them up front. I have had customers who want "x" but when I tell them "y" is the better way and they tell me otherwise, I politely say no thanks and they end up calling me back in 6 months to do it right.

Goosebumps is an understatement. Would cat5 be easier than coax.

Anyway good luck with your project.

Thanks to all for the input.

I will take a couple of hard scrubbing showers when I am finished with this project. That is if it ever happens.

One of the challenges here is that the guy already has 4 cameras that are hardwired. So I need to have a 8 channel DVR with remote access. That is no big deal.

I was hoping that there was a 4 channel receiver w/cameras that would have each of the camera video on a separate output. I have searched as well and that does not seem to be available. The only solution would be 'as suggested' is to duct tape 4 receivers together at the head end and patch in to the DVR. Already I am feeling the need to go wash my hands.

Again thanks to all for the input. I may be forced to just walk away from this unless he decides to allow some hard cabling.

Later.

:D

Velcro the single channel RX or screw them all to a piece of wood ...

If I can drill a hole at the right spot I could use some "all thread" and bolt them all together.

I was just told that a unit like the one I want was available about 8 years ago but they didn't sell so they were taken off the market. Seems like once again I am just out of sync with the rest of the world. Daaaaaaa

Yeah the major Wireless players dont sell them it seems (eg. VideoComm), but I have seen them on Kmart type TOY systems ..

I recall seeing a wireless 4 channel DVR .. dont recall the name now though. Maybe search the forum as it was linked from here. Once again though, may require you buying 50 units if they wont sell you a demo

Yeah the major Wireless players dont sell them it seems (eg. VideoComm), but I have seen them on Kmart type TOY systems ..

I recall seeing a wireless 4 channel DVR .. dont recall the name now though. Maybe search the forum as it was linked from here. Once again though, may require you buying 50 units if they wont sell you a demo

Yea, I think I saw that one somewhere in my searching but it was a dedicated DVR with only 4 channels.

This whole things is really starting to twist my stomach into knots. What a PITA.

Later

that Ebay special on 2.4Ghz would be a big PITA !

If you want a solution thats not to expensive use 4 IP cams and a wireless bridge and DVR software on a PC or the users PC -not recommened tho should be separate.

example:

Cameras Acti 4201`s /3401 domes

DVR software I use Visec but its your call. The Acti's come with Free DVR software and its not bad.

Wireless bridge [2] on 5.8GHz

Small POE switch for the remote end. TP-link etc

z

Thanks to all for the input.

I will take a couple of hard scrubbing showers when I am finished with this project. That is if it ever happens.

One of the challenges here is that the guy already has 4 cameras that are hardwired. So I need to have a 8 channel DVR with remote access. That is no big deal.

I was hoping that there was a 4 channel receiver w/cameras that would have each of the camera video on a separate output. I have searched as well and that does not seem to be available. The only solution would be 'as suggested' is to duct tape 4 receivers together at the head end and patch in to the DVR. Already I am feeling the need to go wash my hands.

Again thanks to all for the input. I may be forced to just walk away from this unless he decides to allow some hard cabling.

Later.

I'm sure you've already gone down this road... but I'll ask any way in hopes of being the common sense fairy that pops you in the head.

How far away are these new cameras from old hardwired ones? Could you piggy back the new cameras on the existing coax with something like this?

http://www.foresight-cctv.com/VDS2500.pdf