thewireguys

Arecont is releasing smaller megapixel camera

sweet, but still ugly! why don't they do something to make that chassis a little sexier? it looks like a futuristic weapon in an 80s movie

4 and 7 ips?? For 100mph cars??

Assuming a decent trigger (which is not hard to do), only one frame is needed for one car, independent of the speed of the vehicle (within some range, e.g. 0 to 100mph). I've reviewed images from the CA DMV (California Department of Motor Vehicles) of vehicles running red lights, and the cameras are set to take the photo when the vehicle hits a precise location in the intersection.

Best,

Christopher

cool, I wonder what the interface to the IR will be ?

Guessing a simple NO/NC type alarm signal.

Best,

Christopher

"MegaFlashâ„¢ provides automatic camera calibration to support a wide range of strobe lights, and the 1 millisecond (ms) speed shutter can be triggered by a network request or the input/output connector. "

4 and 7 ips?? For 100mph cars??

Assuming a decent trigger (which is not hard to do), only one frame is needed for one car, independent of the speed of the vehicle (within some range, e.g. 0 to 100mph). I've reviewed images from the CA DMV (California Department of Motor Vehicles) of vehicles running red lights, and the cameras are set to take the photo when the vehicle hits a precise location in the intersection.

Best,

Christopher

That's how red-light and photo-radar cameras work. Capturing high-speed cars has nothing to do with framerate and little to do with shutter speed - it's all dependent on the flash. Since your average strobe burst is on the order of 1/10,000s to 1/100,000s, the camera's shutter speed becomes largely irrelevant.

Most common trigger for this sort of thing would just be a vehicle-detector loop in the road/driveway/etc. Simple, effective, and reliable.

Kinda guessing that it is mostly a firmware flash to existing camera models, they already have open collector I/O's on the back.

I'd been wondering about doing something like that myself, but I could never get any info on how to write code to interface to it....

Wouldn't necessarily need to be a zenon strobe, you can make a pretty whomping bright strobe with LED's with the right drive circuit.

Even free-running at 5 fps or so with an IR strobe synced to that with the fast shutter speed would be pretty useful to me...

If anyone finds out if it's just firmware, let me know!