Sign in to follow this  
marvelusmarvcus

what a dumb question

i think this is a dumb question, but i cant seem to find an answer. if your camera requires 24vac for power, will giving it 16.5vac possibly cause damage to the camera?

i would not think that it would cause the camera to malfunction, but i have a spot that is getting 16.5vac and everytime i connect a camera on this wire, the camera gets damaged.

if 16.5vac is ok, i have no idea what is causing this, maybe a short in the wire?

16V AC ? dude ....... you want it to malfunction ?.

Some cams have 12v DC and 24v AC so if you regulate the 16V AC to 12v DC it fine. [if the cam supports it.]

but again 16V AC into 24v AC cam is asking for problems

i think this is a dumb question, but i cant seem to find an answer. if your camera requires 24vac for power, will giving it 16.5vac possibly cause damage to the camera?

i would not think that it would cause the camera to malfunction, but i have a spot that is getting 16.5vac and everytime i connect a camera on this wire, the camera gets damaged.

if 16.5vac is ok, i have no idea what is causing this, maybe a short in the wire?

Not a dumb question at all. I'm sure that 16.5VAC isn't going to be any problem whatsoever. You are most likely measuring this voltage without a load? And the big factor is to look at the manufacturer's specs to see what voltage range your camera will operate in. For instance, the VDN-495 operates in Voltage: 10.8 ~ 39 V DC / 12 ~ 28 V AC Power Consumption: 4.0 W.

http://www.sourcesecurity.com/technical-details/cctv/image-capture/domes/bosch-vdn-495v03.html

Always refer back to the manufacturer's specs when in doubt. Not sure why you are feeding the cam that low of a voltage, though? Are you starting out with 24VAC? How long is your cable run? Wire size? If you are starting with 24VAC, and this much voltage drop, I wouldn't rectify it to 12VDC as you have other installation problems that will be masked.

i think i was misinformed by someone who is supposed to know more about cctv than i. he said that using 16.5 vac transformers for 24vac cameras is fine.

i am powering this camera location in question with a 16.5 vac transformer. the crazy thing is, i have 16.5 vac transformers for all of my 24vac cameras and i have not had any other issues. they are the same cameras as well.

i did order a 12vdc power supply to power them all, so hopefully this will correct the problem. none of the runs are very long.

im still scared to hook another camera to that location, i think i may have to re-run the power wire, cant afford to kill another camera.