chunkyman

Wireless IP CCTV system

Hi, I was wondering if anyone might have had experiance or an idea on how I can do this and what hardware to use.

I got a job where I need to install some 16 cameras.

Wiring to some of the cameras with RJ59 is a problem, so I thought I will go wireless on all of them.

Now some of the cameras are around 1km away from the server room but the rest are all within 600M.

What hardware do I have to use and where do I check for it's availablity?

Naturally budget is a problem, so the better the price, the happier I will be

I hope I posted this in the right section, if not, I apologize!

Regards and thanks

I'm not familiar with a lot of wireless gear, but I do know that what you're asking for will NOT be cheap if you want any sort of quality and reliability. Your distances are too far for standard ethernet or WiFi... you might almost need a broadband internet connection at each location, and pipe the cameras in via VPN.

Take a look at Ubiquiti products www.ubnt.com , their AirMax N rate stuff is pretty nice, very reasonably priced, too. Line of sight and interference issues still apply, let us know a little more about the environment.

In some environments, I've had good luck with point to point DSL extenders, if you have internal phone lines running around there.

16 wireless cameras ? no way! And I know what im doing !

Unless you can give them each their own frequency on 5ghz +

If you use WIFI you will be in a world of pain.

Running a wireless backbone to a cluster of cams through a switch is better

but it had better be a real fast link.

z

16 wireless cameras ? no way! And I know what im doing !

Unless you can give them each their own frequency on 5ghz +

If you use WIFI you will be in a world of pain.

Running a wireless backbone to a cluster of cams through a switch is better

but it had better be a real fast link.

z

I agree, I would do everything I could to cluster as many cameras together to as few switches as possible, you could possibly reduce your link count by half or more. Don't even think about using "WiFi" cameras with the radio's built in, you're just asking for pain.

The Ubiquiti 5 GHz AirMax stuff can have a throughput of up to 200Mbps, in a perfect world with 40 MHz channels... In the real world, I've gotten 75+ Mbps through them on 20 MHz channels... still very respectable.

It also has TDMA time-slicing for more efficient multipoint access on a single channel. Wireless "N" is much better suited for video than previous A/B/G protocols, especially the way it aggregates packets for throughput.

Having said all that, you will still want to plan carefully. I've become a proponent of using wireless, but it's still my last choice of connectivity in an install. Site surveys, bandwidth calculations, and spectrum analysis are a important part of wireless planning.

Depending what cameras and what amount of date they push out, but you can use these products. US quality, quite cheap and reliable.

http://ubnt.com/products/nsm.php

It says 150+ Mbps, but cut that in half for real numbers.

You can set separate link for each camera, or try combining few cameras onto one link. This device is universal, it can be switched to client or access point.

My install with NanoStation 2

113339_1.jpg

Sorry, I had to post 5 times and wait 5 days before I can send a legitmate post, forums rules. I appologize for the clutter.

I would recomend Avalan outdoor bridges. They can span 30 miles line of site, are cost effective (under $1,000 USD for the pair) and are popular with IP cameras. The biggest cost may be the poles needed to mount them that have power to run the bridge and the camera of course. You'll also need a power injector for the PoE and a weatherproof exclosure to hold this.

I would attache a link but I have to wait 4 more days per forum rules. So just Google AW5800xTR and you'll get information on it.

Sorry, I had to post 5 times and wait 5 days before I can send a legitmate post, forums rules. I appologize for the clutter.

I would recomend Avalan outdoor bridges. They can span 30 miles line of site, are cost effective (under $1,000 USD for the pair) and are popular with IP cameras. The biggest cost may be the poles needed to mount them that have power to run the bridge and the camera of course. You'll also need a power injector for the PoE and a weatherproof exclosure to hold this.

I would attache a link but I have to wait 4 more days per forum rules. So just Google AW5800xTR and you'll get information on it.

Avalon is nice but they are limited on bandwidth and they are expensive.

The NanoStation 2 in the pic above is MSRP $79, 150+ Mbps though put and 15km + range.

Good to know, always looking for more cost effective solutions. I see they use traditional wifi, but with clearly more power and better antennas than my home wifi router.

Our problem with wireless is that many of these are line of sight and we have houses & hills inbetween. Will this work across those obsticles, but shorter distances? For example, we would need to bridge about 1/2 mile, or 1 km but in hilly terrain to have cameras at various entrance points to the community. Even if we put up a 20' pole to mount this on (like on top of a light pole), the hills are about 100' high in between.

Also, say it can't make it past the hill, can we put 2 on a pole at a high point to acts as a repeater for 2 at the 2 low points?

Good to know, always looking for more cost effective solutions. I see they use traditional wifi, but with clearly more power and better antennas than my home wifi router.

Our problem with wireless is that many of these are line of sight and we have houses & hills inbetween. Will this work across those obsticles, but shorter distances? For example, we would need to bridge about 1/2 mile, or 1 km but in hilly terrain to have cameras at various entrance points to the community. Even if we put up a 20' pole to mount this on (like on top of a light pole), the hills are about 100' high in between.

Also, say it can't make it past the hill, can we put 2 on a pole at a high point to acts as a repeater for 2 at the 2 low points?

The Ubiquiti products are designed for a Wireless Internet Provider type environment, which has features beyond those of a home wireless unit, and match up with use in multipoint video distribution pretty well.

Using these products in a non-line of sight application is iffy. Sometimes, you can get lucky and get a bounce off an object and make it work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as a repeater point, that's perfectly feasible. Keep in mind you do need power, though.

If you can give us more details on the layout, terrain, and equipment you are looking to use, we can probably help you more.

Think outside the box, too (maybe residents want access to viewing, as well, and will allow access points/ repeaters to be located on their homes, in exchange for that.)

Also, you could potentially resell high speed internet through the links, if they are fast enough.

Here's a map of the area. The terrian varies by about 200' from low point to high point. The park is somewhere in the middle with the stuff above it on the map about 100' higher, and the stuff below about 60' lower.

The heart of it is a 5 1/2 acre park where surveillence is key to reducing drug sales and vandelism that happens (typical teen gone bad stuff) and it's mostly at night. The DSL, PC, and 2 Mobotix M12D cameras are at the pool and that's our starting point. Also being installed is a key fob system around the park (pools, tennis courts and pedestrian gate). This is all easy to implement, had them do all trenching yesterday so it's all hard wired.

The places shown with the arrows are drive through and pedestrian gates where we want additional cameras, maybe 2-4 at each gate for plate recognition and overall shot of the area to capture an event. Also, the pedestrian gates will have a key fob reader tied to the controller at the park.

www [dot] buellwinkle [dot] com/gallery/camera-map-1 [dot] jpg

Here's a map of the area. The terrian varies by about 200' from low point to high point. The park is somewhere in the middle with the stuff above it on the map about 100' higher, and the stuff below about 60' lower.

The heart of it is a 5 1/2 acre park where surveillence is key to reducing drug sales and vandelism that happens (typical teen gone bad stuff) and it's mostly at night. The DSL, PC, and 2 Mobotix M12D cameras are at the pool and that's our starting point. Also being installed is a key fob system around the park (pools, tennis courts and pedestrian gate). This is all easy to implement, had them do all trenching yesterday so it's all hard wired.

The places shown with the arrows are drive through and pedestrian gates where we want additional cameras, maybe 2-4 at each gate for plate recognition and overall shot of the area to capture an event. Also, the pedestrian gates will have a key fob reader tied to the controller at the park.

www [dot] buellwinkle [dot] com/gallery/camera-map-1 [dot] jpg

Still a little hard to tell from looking at it, but I would think that you might get from the park to the high point, and then repeat back to the low point from there? You are going to have to go out, and look at what sight lines you have.

The Mobotix are a great start, I would keep using them in other locations.

Are you using an IP based access system to link to the gates, as well?

This does look like a fairly high density area, I would check with any wireless ISP's in the area, and what channels they are using, to avoid interference to you, or them. They usually appreciate the courtesy, and may give you a few tips.

The 5GHz band is typically less crowded, and there are more channel allocations available.

There is a good high spot towards the back of the park I thought about putting a 15-20' pole.

That would be a fear in using traditional WiFi bridges, where you may get problems with people's home and small business routers. I see that they also make a 5 ghz system, that may fair better and one reason I was looking at Avalan, but Ubiquity Nanostation 5 seem to fill that role and look to be inexpensive.

I'd look at the NanoStationM, it runs "N" rate, which is more resistant to interference, and would allow running plenty of bandwidth even at 10MHz channel width, which will reduce interference possibilities.

The price is about the same, and it will also allow PoE pass-through to power another device.

Using these products in a non-line of sight application is iffy. Sometimes, you can get lucky and get a bounce off an object and make it work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I was told that it might not work thru this small forest, but I have 100% signal. But its only 280m.

113445_1.jpg

Hi people,

thanking you for your feedback. I can see a lot has come out of my little question and hopefully a lot of people, apart from me, has benefited from this.

thanks again!

If you have no - ip i.e. analog camera then you can go with analohg wireless which are not more then USD 160 USD pair.

If you have IP camera's then you can go with wireless from rangemxx.. they have wireless begining from 2 KM and reach up to 80 km .so here you have only requirement which can easily covered with 2 KM Range. The pair cost for 2 KM range will be USD 150 USD with high quality as well as reliability and with 2 years service support and warranty if required may u can contact with there distributors or to me my mail is is cctvrequirements at gmail dot com

Talk abou quality not only abou link ... for real time picture nanao station can only reach 3 to 4 km and even in this non real time

If you have no - ip i.e. analog camera then you can go with analohg wireless which are not more then USD 160 USD pair.

If you have IP camera's then you can go with wireless from rangemxx.. they have wireless begining from 2 KM and reach up to 80 km .so here you have only requirement which can easily covered with 2 KM Range. The pair cost for 2 KM range will be USD 150 USD with high quality as well as reliability and with 2 years service support and warranty if required may u can contact with there distributors or to me my mail is is cctvrequirements at gmail dot com

Mind posting a link to "rangemxx"