sjones9

NEW ASSIGNMENT - ADVICE WELCOMED

As an assignment I have been commissioned by my Managing Director to design a perimeter barrier with associated electronic security technology to protect a computer facility to be constructed for my organisation. The facility will be located in a semi-rural district with its own access road that is about 400 m long from the local highway. The facility will have three main buildings in a compound, and will be surrounded by a perimeter fence 300 m x 200 m in length.

I need advice on motion detecting CCTV for insde the fenceline. That is systems, equipment required, filed of view, assessmnet zone, lens specs etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi sjones9,

Did you volunteer for this assignment, or was it a short straw job?

I'm guessing there are two distinct issues here, namely the selection of appropriate technology, and perhaps more importantly, a proper interpretation of the sites operational requirements.

If you have some technical knowledge, then you're bound to get loads of useful advice on this forum, which will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Personally I would advise a strong degree of caution, simply because on the little information you have provided so far, if you throw a system togethor which appears to do exactly what the M.D. wants, if at some later stage it all goes horribly wrong, who due you think will be expected to 'carry the can'?

Provided you can adequately cover your posterior, I'm sure you can expect to receive plenty of advice. If not, you should seriously consider employing the services of an independent expert, then at least it will be his backside that gets a kicking, if your security is compromised.

Incidentally, from the information you've provided so far, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to give you any absolute answers; there are just too many as yet unspoken factors involved.

(I hope this doesn't sound too negative - I just don't want you to think that it's as straightforward as putting a camera on your front door)

Hi sjones9:

First, for product advice you can contact some of the major manufacturers and distributors:

Pacom: www.pacom.com.au

GE Security: www.ge-interlogix.com.au

Bosch: http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/1296.htm

For an indication of who is available in your area to do the actual install see the industry association web-site:

ASIAL: www.asial.com.au

For higher level advice there are many consultants, but perhaps try some major Melbourne installers first for what looks like a relatively straight forward job:

ADT: www.adtsecurity.com.au

Signature: www.signaturesecurity.com.au

Chubb: www.chubb.com.au

SNP: www.snpsecurity.com.au

Vangren: www.vangren.com

Manufacturers love to design your project free of charge using their equipment, but they have no professional liability coverage. You get what you pay for ...

Regards:

Dave

Run all fiber (sounds like they have the dough). Use microwave/doppler sensors so that when someone trips the perimeter, the camera snaps to the object. As for the road, use ground sensors-you can use the "stick type" or the "loop wire type". Again, set it to snap the camera to the object. I have installed a few of these, quite expensive, but most effective.

Edited by Guest

I aso agree with McJannet, it sounds like a security consultant is most advised. Again, expensive, but will pay off in the long run. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Make sure you don't get cheap on the head end. Put in all high quality equipment. Use Panasonic DVR's (stay away from PC based (here comes an argument). Battery backup- APC. Use Fiberoptions (GE now) for data translators. As far as the cameras are concerned, go with Pelco (Spectra III) as they are the best in the business. Call Pelco on Christmas Eve with a problem, and they will answer the phone. I will post a link to some pictures of jobs that will help give you an idea.

P.S. The problem with "beams" is that it will pick up animals and/or debris blowing by.

Yep Beams will, but they cost alot less. I agree with the non PC, but any high end DVR, doesnt have to be a Panasonic which costs more than its worth. Same goes for Pelco, there are other PTZs just as good, such as the GE CyberDomes, Bosch PTZ, etc.

Honestly I dont think they want to protect a Military Installation, so I doubt they will do all that ..?

If they are looking at anything close to a SCIF or critical infrastructure, than anything short of a pro won't cut it.

Hopefully they've got a consultant who has already done a risk asessment and site survey and they are just trying to save a little money on subbing out this specific task.

The Department of corrections loves it's Pelco. We see RFQ's for them all the time and all they spec is Pelco. From the cameras to the monitors to the racks.

If it can keep 5000 angry men it, I am sure it can protect a computer room.

Don't be so sure. Have you ever seen what just 5 angry nerds can do to a computer room?

I see it at least once a week...I think they are called the IT Department. when you are trying to get some IP numbers.

If it can keep 5000 angry men it, I am sure it can protect a computer room.

Don't be so sure. Have you ever seen what just 5 angry nerds can do to a computer room?

Bring out the tear gas or fire hose and they will stop