amsmt

Input for Solar job

Hey all -

I have a customer who got a system from us just before I bought this business two years ago. They are a mine and run on battery power at the job trailer. We put a 2 camera system in to watch the road and it keeps losing power so we want to check into doing solar. I have talked to a few vendors but am looking for more input on this. One thing to know is the camera's are about 800 ft from the trailer. (Downhill though... )

Here is what is in place -

Cameras - Bosch LTC0495/21

Lens - Tamron 12VG412ASIR-Q -

Housings - American Dynamics ADCHMBHT10

DVR - Speco 4TN 160 gb

Monitor - Speco VM1401C

Power Inverter - Tripplite PV1000HF

I am trying to find out what system specs I would need to run this, and any good leads to said systems. I appreciate the help!

-Shane

You may seriously want to think about revising your system. As you have it right now, it's a seriously power hungry system. From your part list, you are drawing 130+ watts. If that's 24/7 usage, it's going to require a pretty large system.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/systems-folder/REMOTETELECOM.html pegs it at $4000+, plus batteries.

Think about something like the Mobotix IP cam with on-board recording, and maybe a small notebook PC for viewing, you'd have a far better picture than you have now, and the total cost, with solar, would be lower than just ading solar to your existing setup.

If your place already has power and you want to use solar as a backup then it might work. You need a lot of solar panels and lots of batteries and a charge controller for each device.

113397_1.jpg

You may seriously want to think about revising your system. As you have it right now, it's a seriously power hungry system. From your part list, you are drawing 130+ watts. If that's 24/7 usage, it's going to require a pretty large system.

Think about something like the Mobotix IP cam with on-board recording, and maybe a small notebook PC for viewing, you'd have a far better picture than you have now, and the total cost, with solar, would be lower than just ading solar to your existing setup.

I am not very familiar with the Mobotix IP cam or IP cams in general yet, but would like to learn more. Does the on board recording mean it records onto the camera?

Thanks for the input

Think about something like the Mobotix IP cam with on-board recording, and maybe a small notebook PC for viewing, you'd have a far better picture than you have now, and the total cost, with solar, would be lower than just adding solar to your existing setup.

I am not very familiar with the Mobotix IP cam or IP cams in general yet, but would like to learn more. Does the on board recording mean it records onto the camera?

Thanks for the input

Yes, it can store on a SD card, or an attached USB drive, and be viewed on a remote PC with a browser, or the control center software.

What length of history/ frame rate are you looking for, and how much is the system used per day?

800 feet is too long for standard Ethernet, but there are wireless, or point to point DSL-type extenders available for that.

Think about something like the Mobotix IP cam with on-board recording, and maybe a small notebook PC for viewing, you'd have a far better picture than you have now, and the total cost, with solar, would be lower than just adding solar to your existing setup.

Thanks for the input

Yes, it can store on a SD card, or an attached USB drive, and be viewed on a remote PC with a browser, or the control center software.

What length of history/ frame rate are you looking for, and how much is the system used per day?

800 feet is too long for standard Ethernet, but there are wireless, or point to point DSL-type extenders available for that.

I called to find out a little more about the system - the mine runs on a generator, and they put the batteries in just to keep the camera system running when they generator is down. This will work for 2-3 days but if the mine is down longer the batteries eventually die. I don't know how long they want the footage, would imagine few weeks, and I think 30fps is what the system is set at now.

After finding out more about it I am thinking solar for backup might be the preferred option?

http://www.floatograph.com/

interested mobile power systems.

Also I would recommend contacting an engineer company that specializes in design solar systems The company I work with in Canada takes assessment of the location and there average amount of sun. Then designed a system customized for that location and for your requirements.

I know a mobile PC based DVR that only draws 60W and can stream over cellar and satellite. (file size .05kb) or can be built with a 12CH hybrid DVR

Do the housings have heater or need heater because to save on power you may want a housing that does not require a heater to save on power.

http://www.floatograph.com/

interested mobile power systems.

Also I would recommend contacting an engineer company that specializes in design solar systems The company I work with in Canada takes assessment of the location and there average amount of sun. Then designed a system customized for that location and for your requirements.

I know a mobile PC based DVR that only draws 60W and can stream over cellar and satellite. (file size .05kb) or can be built with a 12CH hybrid DVR

Do the housings have heater or need heater because to save on power you may want a housing that does not require a heater to save on power.

Hey IR - Have you done much with mobile DVR? I am looking for some other DVR solutions for them that would work and draw less juice. They do have heater/blower housings and I also mentioned we could bypass the heater to get them more footage.

I talked to them and to get power to the site would be in the $20k, so before they spend $10k for just a solar camera solution they are going to consider just putting power in.

I second the use of the mobotix cameras. If the onboard storage is not enough for the framerate and resolution then adding a low power nas or netbook with a 120gb drive could solve your issues for two cameras.

The mobotix camera runs on about 4watts with no heater needed, the netbook should run somewhere i am guessing 40watts . The netbook would serve both recording and monitoring.

The best part is that the camera and netbook should be able to run directly on the dc 12v output of the solar/battery setup with no inverter needed. This will increase the recording time as you will not have the loss and overhead of the inverter.

3 hours ago, EmilS said:

Have you guys ever wondered where these panels come from? 

I get mine from the shop