nifter53

$$ Average System Setup Cost $$

Hi There,

Just wondering what the budget range is for most of your customers. I understand that there will be the $800 setups and the $8000 setups, but on average...what would you say is the average installed price for the systems that you normally setup?

Or answer this way, what is the cost of your average 4/8/16 camera setup with DVR (Installed)?

I'll be the 1st to answer. I've only done 3 setups so far and the average cost to the customer was $1200~$1700 for ~4 cameras and a dvr.

We normally use Vigil DVRs - most common model is 16-channel, 60fps total, 1TB storage, MSRP is *I think* around $3500.

Add the cameras to that...

We did a $100k+ system a couple years ago, with a buncha thermal cameras and Video Analytics.

Work out the average from there

the people who spent $800 eventually come to me for a $8000 system for something that works.

It may take a few robberies and thefts and being made to look like an idiot when they try and ID a face or car rego for the police

z

I figuered there would be a huge range from the lows to the highs.

The 1st few setups I did were for a customer that wanted to monitor their staff's "work ethic" and monitor their house. So essentially, it was only one customer that wanted 3 systems.

I used a chinese manufacturer called winbo (SAV). Their equipment is so,so.

I live in a very remote community and no one else in the area is willing to do survellience work. I've been asked to do maintenance on existing systems. Ie. a grocery store with 49 cameras and 2 DVR's. The cameras are panasonic and the DVR's are Capture and Viewgate (PC based). I feel the differences between the grocery store $20,000 setup and the one I did for my customer are pretty minor. Maybe the durability of the SAV stuff will show it's true colours in time.

I've also quoted some higher end jobs(~$9000). One was for a fuel depot using stardot SC IP cams and a PC with Luxriot. But the fuel company gets rebates from imperial oil, the store setup I did is a mom and pop shop paying out of pocket.

I figure if I'm the only show in town I've got to offer a range of options to cover everyone needs, big or small.

This is why i've asked this question. I'm just trying to figure out what most businesses have in mind for a budget for survellience. Trust me, I'd like to sell everyone an $8000 system and never have to worry about it again, but that's not gonna happen.

This is a topic I have considered quite a bit in the 2 years since I got into the biz. Most of the time I tell customers to figure around $1000 per camera. If there are outdoor it gets closer to $1300 when you get outdoor mounts with heaters/blowers (Montana) and usually longer cable runs included.

This helps me focus on customers who are willing to spend $ to get a system they will be happy with.

I have done some work for folks who have a system already, so I have seen what the Lorex/Costco solution looks like. For a user who is on a slim budget and doesn't need a professional install it can work.

I have not ventured into IP systems yet, however am familiar with IP networks so I really do need to look more into them.

All of this being said... I have been painfully slow for the past 4 months. I don't know if I am pricing myself out of work, or if companies are just holding on to their $ right now.

Have you looked into what you would charge for maintenance work? Will you offer a contract to customers who you put a system in for?

I am thinking of putting this in, but am not sure what is the going rate and what is expected yet...

Hey Amsmt,

I really understand your situation. I come from a computer backgound where everything is "pricematched". Dell sells a PC for $900, but you can get the same specs for $500 from acer. I was hoping to get away from this with the CCTV world, since many of the brands used are not disclosed. It seems now that with the CCTV world, end users are going to Costco and Tiger Direct and seeing systems with 8 cameras and a DVR for $800. Even the banner above this message I'm typing is advertising cameras for $38 and DVR's for $135. However, everyone here keeps mentioning how you can't get a decent system for that price, you need to spend thousands.

I think my end goal will be to break the market into 3 audiences.

1) Home and Small Business: seldom requires legal action. System is used more for interest and the rare, "incident". The odd glitch is acceptable, image quality can identify faces in good lighting within close camera range.

2) Medium sized business: footage is used in legal matters both internal and external. no glitches can be present. Camera's can recognize faces during most lighting conditions and within medium camera range. (as for that 50camera grocery store setup, they rarely capture faces and the police frequently let the thief go).

3) Corporate/Government (they won't touch me for 15years...)

As for prices...

1) SOHO: $250/Cam Installed, 4CAM-DVR$500, 8CAM-DVR$650

2) Small Business: $600/cam interior (exterior $800/cam) Installed, 4CAM-DVR$1200, 8CAM-DVR$1500, 16CAM-DVR$1700

I realize there are many other factors that contribute to the quote, lighting, building construction, distances etc.

I feel that I'll be able to get the job done, that's not an issue. Rather I'm trying to figure out the best balance for me and the customer. I don't want to sell crap, I don't want to scare people off with outlandish prices. I want to make money and put in a reliable system that fits the end users needs.

Thoughts?

Hi Nifter -

That seems like a very logical way to break down the markets, because I think to be able to survive you need to be able to satisfy both. Especially in a smaller population like where I am (Montana). It sounds like our business's are very similar.

I try to just focus on the larger commercial stuff, but it isn't very abundant and it is competitive when it does come around. I end up doing jobs for friends who want the lowest possible price, I can't turn down work when I don't have anything else in the hopper.

Even though they are small little jobs, they are worth doing because I feel like it helps build experience. If I turn them down I feel like I am stepping over five $5 bills to pick up a $20.

Have you had much success/failure in marketing yourself yet? I have been cold calling, which is never a good time, and building contacts through networking but I don't run into many people who have buildings or property that they need monitored.

Feel free to PM me as well -

Edited by Guest

I agree with

nifter53

amsmt, I would remove your email address and tell people to PM you for the info. You are about to become friends with 300 manufactures with spam, and you are about to get another 300 from "hello, I am the president of a bank in ..... where someone has passed away.....

Here in Florida:

The magic number (retail) for the bottom tier market is the $1,100.00! There is enough head room for a small profit, and you can charge another $400.00 for installation.

The better the client the better you can move those prices up.

I agree with
nifter53

amsmt, I would remove your email address and tell people to PM you for the info. You are about to become friends with 300 manufactures with spam, and you are about to get another 300 from "hello, I am the president of a bank in ..... where someone has passed away.....

Here in Florida:

The magic number (retail) for the bottom tier market is the $1,100.00! There is enough head room for a small profit, and you can charge another $400.00 for installation.

The better the client the better you can move those prices up.

Thanks for the warning - I got it changed hopefully it didn't do too much damage.

You are figuring $1100 per camera uninstalled? Is that an IP system?

No, not $1,100.00 per camera. The whole system. Analog.

The system would be a 4 channel DVR w/ remote view ( AVC760), 4 cameras ( 30 foot IR ), 4 100 foot premade cables (or a spool of wire), and a 4 channel power supply ( 2 amp, or higher ), BNC to RCA adapter (television composite), video surveillance sticker, and disk with remote software, and manual.

$400 for installation is based on a single story house with crawl space attic, (but prefer standing attic!).

I wish I could get 1000 per camera!

I wish I could get 1000 per camera!

YOU CAN DO IT YES YOU CAN!!!

Rory you must be a sales manager too!!

Once again. thanks for the great feedback.

My goal is to plug away using a variety of inexpensive manufatures for the home/soho market and stick with "known" good manufaturers for the medium sized businesses.

The known manufacturers seem pretty well documented here. Bosch, Panasonic, Nuvico etc. I'd like to see more about the "hidden gems". Like finding a great bottle of wine for $8. I really think there is a market for the small stuff. Just need to do some trial and error with different manufacturers to see which ones are a good bang for the buck.

I'll do my best to post results from the different manufactures I test out, good or bad.