G22

Hunt DVR's

Anyone know anything about this company? Are they reputable? How bout the DVR below?

http://www.huntcctv.com/4%20channel%20DVR.htm

It is discouraging to see that http://www.huntcctv.com/profile1.htm gives a 404 err and http://www.huntcctv.com/profile.htm says Under Construction. Not very impressive unless they are a new company.

Where does one purchase their DVR's? Directly from 'Hunt'?

Yeah, they have been arond for a long time. They are in the same range as Provideo as for Cameras at least. Basically they buy OEM so their products are not unique. Same goes for Provideo.

Their DVRs are the Webgate Inc DVRs.

http://www.webgateinc.com/

WebGate is also the OEM for Bosch, Honeywell, Samsung Techwin.

Hunt has a Demo on their site under DVRs and 16 channel HVR

http://www.huntcctv.com/HVRLIVEDEMO1.htm

Most distributors sell their gear.

Rory

I was just looking at their demo. Although the cam quality is not good, I kinda like the software (DVR Manager Monitor) to download and view video. Seems like a nice clean simple layout. No crappy GEO type GUI.

What am I lookin at though... is this Hunt's office?

Just wonder what the unit is like in person though.

I still don't like the fact of the Profile/About Us page not existing.

I imagine they have it on low quality for bandwidth as its a demo ..as they use Wavelet so it should be very clear.

Rory

I'm going to use the 8 channel on a project I'm doing. I have been playing with that demo for a couple weeks now and I like it. Only drawback for me personally is no web app. and minium Windows 2000 or XP. So it doesn't work on my laptop. They do have a bandwidth problem at the demo site though.

The demo was very responsive over the weekend. But it was dragging along badly this morning while I was showing a guy what it could do... He bought it anyway

Cool ..

Yeah i tried but there is no available OCX or DLL to play with ..

Strange thing is, WebGate inc has alot of browser based stuff for their other products, servers, etc, big DDNS thing and all. They even have Pocket PC and an SDK for their web server thing, but it doesnt work with the DVR.

I think we need to learn linux and start editing these bin files ..LOL

Rory

I wonder what version/dist/kernel of Linux the embedded run? Can the firmware be upgraded?

Dont know. I have updated a couple of the older Kalatel single channel DVRs though, its just a bin file. They all have that feature in the Kalatel line. I imagine most others do also.

Cool ..

Yeah i tried but there is no available OCX or DLL to play with ..

Strange thing is, WebGate inc has alot of browser based stuff for their other products, servers, etc, big DDNS thing and all. They even have Pocket PC and an SDK for their web server thing, but it doesnt work with the DVR.

I think we need to learn linux and start editing these bin files ..LOL

Rory

Thanks for taking a look at that Rory. I appreciate it. I may have to put XP on my laptop. I'll get it working on the bench here before install, but the job site is 60 miles away. I'd like to confirm operation on site.

My telephone programming apps run on DOS. With XP wouldn't I need a Virtual DOS Machine or some such thing?

XP has a Dos emulator, and there are some others that work well.

Thanks.

So I load up a DOS emulator? DO you happen to know if that plays well with serial communications?

you could install XP on a second partition, then just run ME when you need the DOS apps, and XP for the others. Why do you need your laptop for this though??

Hmmm. Serial Communications work well in XP, as we are running our alarm central station connected through serial cables, to the Alarm Receiver. I think we used Emulators also, to test the signals coming in.

you could install XP on a second partition, then just run ME when you need the DOS apps, and XP for the others. Why do you need your laptop for this though??

You're always thinking Rory. That's a good idea.

I want to confirm network operations from within the area. I don't want to drive home 60 miles to find I can't access the DVR. Plus we are already looking at a second installation. Makes sense to multi-site with the same equipment. Also the more I talk with him the more he wants me to administer the systems. I should search this site for talk on service contracts...