I'm sure you mean NTP? NNTP is Network News Transfer Protocol - the basis for Usenet. I've never seen a camera with a newsreader

Anyway, what do you mean by "preferred configuration"? The only camera I've seen that even gives an a choice is the IQs, listing "ntp" or "daytime" options, and "broadcast" or "passive" options for ntp. For standard internet-based time servers like time.nrc.ca or time.nist.gov, I find "ntp" and "broadcast" settings are necessary.

I'm sure you mean NTP? NNTP is Network News Transfer Protocol - the basis for Usenet. I've never seen a camera with a newsreader

Oops, Adobe dropped support for NNTP and I want it back, but that's another topic. Thanks for catching the typo.

Anyway, what do you mean by "preferred configuration"? The only camera I've seen that even gives an a choice is the IQs, listing "ntp" or "daytime" options, and "broadcast" or "passive" options for ntp. For standard internet-based time servers like time.nrc.ca or time.nist.gov, I find "ntp" and "broadcast" settings are necessary.

Do you set each device (e.g. each camera) to time.nrc.ca, or do you set the router to time.nrc.ca and point each camera to the router?

Best,

Christopher

Do you set each device (e.g. each camera) to time.nrc.ca, or do you set the router to time.nrc.ca and point each camera to the router?

Best,

Christopher

I've always just pointed the camera at the outside NTP server directly. Not all routers provide NTP server service, and some I've seen, the NTP client doesn't work either. I've had to install a third-party NTP server on the odd DVR/NVR for the cameras to sync to, on sites that the system doesn't have an internet connection, but those are rare - people are usually happy with the timestamp the DVR/NVR puts on the video and don't even care about having the camera's timestamp turned on.

time.microsoft.com

Is NTP the same as SNTP? I think it is but the S is for Simple Network Time Protocol. I think it is all synonymous but I could be wrong.

I don't set my cameras if they do have the option but I do setup the DVR with the SNTP server. If there is no network connection I set the time per my cellphone and hold my breath that the DVR can keep an accurate time. I don't have much choice otherwise. LOL!

the server should be the only device grabbing the time [NTP] from the outside, the cam's should get the time from the server.

my 2c