Integratek

Where to put microphone ?

Hi

i've got a customer who want to catch his wife's relatives sneaking aroung house and stealing things (at least that's what he told me).

So i have installed 2 pinhole cameras in his appartaments (took me more than 12 hours - no one should be able to notice any changes, and i bet noone will)

Now he have decided that it is a must to have sound recorded. the problem is that i cant really get decent sound with hidden mic.

what are best locations to conseal a microphone ?

Room size is about 12'x15'

Hi

i've got a customer who want to catch his wife's relatives sneaking aroung house and stealing things (at least that's what he told me).

LOL!!!!!!

What sort of microphone you thinking of using? Ive done a covert audio recording job where i used these nice microphones in these small junction boxes, i mounted them on the ceiling, no problems, dont look too obvious either.

The problem is that here (Israel) it's very difficilt to find any special equipment. And what is on the market is very expensive and generally crappy

The other problem is that whole installation should be invisible to anybody, including his wife.

What i've got for him is amplified microphone - Made in China no name

customer price about $70

i reckon it's OK - quite sensitive and low noise

firstly i've put in into roll-up sunshield box, next to one of cameras - sound was terrible, too noisy and recorded more of street sounds that anything in the room. so now im pondering how to make it work. is there any general recommendations regarding closed-space consealed sound recording ?

A very affordable electret mic will do the job nicely.

Try to place the micin the conter of conversation, if known.

For general room placement, you can place the mic a few inches from the corner near the ceiling. The walls and ceiling will act to funnel the sound to your mic.

WARNING!!!! - Check your local laws regarding covert audio intercepts and recording. These laws very from place to place and can be very strict. Make sure that your install is legal.

Edited to add:

The tech part is only part of the battle. If you've never done one before, you'll have to find out how to do the covert install. How you do *that* will depend on the environment and what kind of physical access you have.

I think maxwell smart always hid the mic in the vase of flowers.

But if you don't have a vase of flowers does there happen to be a telephone centrally located in the room? Cool thing about using a telephone to hide the mic is you don't have to hide the wiring. Just use the second pair of the line cord. install the mic in the phone somehow and you're set.

If you have a smoke alarm that would be a good place since it is located high up and usually in the center of the room. Drawback would be trying to run the wires back.

Behind a wall plate with a small hole cut out is also good. You would only need a very tiny hole in the plate. You might even be able to hide it behind an existing wall outlet.