dee99ta

Have searched -Need Some Advice: DVR + Camera Choices

So it looks like these DVR are relabeled and resold all over the web, so that is kind of confusing.

I found the AVtech website and they seem to have a side selection of models. It is hard to determine some of the brands from a reseller website.

Where to buy?

This system will be installed at a residence that is basically a weekend retreat. We have issues with things getting stolen and people, hunting, and doing who knows what when we are not there.

-I would like to have 3-4 cameras around the house that can see 30-50 yds at night.

-I need one other camera that will need to be located 75yds away. I would like to be able to read a license plate(slow moving turn).

-I am trying to get broadband(wireless isp, not 3g).

- I would like the ability to send email pictures when motion is detected. FTP video to a server. thought here is the system is stolen or destroyed, I will still have the evidence remotely.

-A plus would be to have the network remote interface to be configurable for the size and quality of the video.

-Would like to possibly have the ability to view remotely via blackberry.

I would like to keep it under $700. I have look on a site called supercircuits since they have a wide selection. Their DVRs so seem to be able to FTP.

Thanks for any and all help.

Can anyone tell me what dvr might meet these needs?

Your budget is brutally low compared to the extreme specs you have posted, or

Your specs are to high for your budget.

This is to include full wholesale prices with a website with no tech support staff where they can pass the savings on to you!

Do you wish to stick to the budget, or do you wish to stick to the specs.

30 yards at night require serious upgrades and true day night cameras rather than bullet cameras in a kit kind of product.

License plate? Forget it! Do not even try unless you have some serious stuff to lose. "security must be of the essence".

75 yards away? Wow! That is a gate, or a far away barn!

You are better off getting the camera up closer rather than buying a telescope, and screwing it on to your camera!

Then again you can go to Toys er utz, and bolt on a childs plastic lens telescope to a camera to maintain your budget. I do not think this would be effective though!

How much do you have to lose? Take 10% of that value, and use it as your budget to spend.

Any questions?

HA, never thought of a telescope. However, I did intend to locate the camera 75 yards away. It may be more like 50. It is a turn that goes to the back side of the property. We want to see who is coming an going. What if anything special do I need to run video that distance? Do I need a repeater or anything? I realize I have to plan for a power drop especially with IR cameras.

From what I found(supercircuits and ussscctv for example to keep it simpler)

-DVRS 4ch range from $200 - $400 w/o drive. (CPCAM and it looks like the other store has AVtech, not sure. Looking at DMR40DVD ,DMR27U ,CPD561ASV, or CPD541DV) Anyone know much about these? they resemble the AVTech ones, but I don't know if they really are made by them.

-A good size sata can be had for $60

-Cable $50?

-3 cameras (eg. PC177IR-5 or PC177IRHR-5 from SC) $100-$120 per camera

-power supplies and mounts for cameras $100?

- 1 camera (wide angle?) - $150?

- ethernet router(don't have one) $50

-already have a monitor

that is about $800 - $1k. Thoughts? Maybe I should ask it like this, is this the best I can do with a $800 - 1K budget?

Thanks.

OH My God.....

Iv'e got Home Depot at one End and Micosoft Certified IT companies muscling in on CCTV at at the other..... It's gonna be stale bread for Christmas

So it looks like these DVR are relabeled and resold all over the web, so that is kind of confusing.

I found the AVtech website and they seem to have a side selection of models. It is hard to determine some of the brands from a reseller website.

Where to buy?

This system will be installed at a residence that is basically a weekend retreat. We have issues with things getting stolen and people, hunting, and doing who knows what when we are not there.

-I would like to have 3-4 cameras around the house that can see 30-50 yds at night.

-I need one other camera that will need to be located 75yds away. I would like to be able to read a license plate(slow moving turn).

- I would like the ability to send email pictures when motion is detected. FTP video to a server. thought here is the system is stolen or destroyed, I will still have the evidence remotely.

-A plus would be to have the network remote interface to be configurable for the size and quality of the video.

I would like to keep it under $700. I have look on a site called supercircuits since they have a wide selection. Their DVRs so seem to be able to FTP.

Hello, there.

As for the security surveillance for houses, here I'd like to say something as following:

Generally speaking, it needs about 4 ~ 8 cameras & one DVR (PC-based or standalone)

For cameras, they could be Box camera, Dome camera, IR camera, Bullet camera, Vandal proof dome camera, spy camera etc.

On average, they are ranging from $15 to $80 (middle end).

As for DVR, PC-based dvr is about $300 ~ $350 (with HDD); AND it is about $200 ~ $300 (without HDD) for standalone DVR.

DVR or DVR cards from Aopvision company may be a good choice for some of you.

You could contact Thomas (thomas_gong)-skype for any further information no matter you are in need or not.

Besides business, we might be friends, couldn't we??

Best regards,

Sorry, but "$15-$80" is the EXTREME low-end for CCTV cameras.

$300 is pretty low-end for a PC as well, WITHOUT DVR card or software.

Where to buy?

Hello, there.

As for the security surveillance for houses, here I'd like to say something as following:

Generally speaking, it needs about 4 ~ 8 cameras & one DVR (PC-based or standalone)

For cameras, they could be Box camera, Dome camera, IR camera, Bullet camera, Vandal proof dome camera, spy camera etc.

As for DVR, PC-based dvr is about $300 ~ $350 (with HDD); AND it is about $200 ~ $300 (without HDD) for standalone DVR.

DVR or DVR cards from Aopvision company may be a good choice for some of you.

You could contact Thomas (thomas_gong)-skype for any further information no matter you are in need or not.

Besides business, we might be friends, couldn't we??

Best regards,

Low end equpment

OH My God.....

Iv'e got Home Depot at one End and Micosoft Certified IT companies muscling in on CCTV at at the other..... It's gonna be stale bread for Christmas

poor fellow

Dude, a $15 camera is hardly middle end, in fact its way below low end!

Hello, guys.

What do you mean by "low end"??

I know why you all say this should be low end cameras or DVRs, however, here I'd like to ask all of you that you are a consumer or businessman??

Do you know the prices that the dealers... got from the manufactuers here in Shenzhen, China???

The prices there in your market might be much higher than these, right??

Of course. Because they have been added freight, tax.....

Anyway, how much would you think as "high-end"??

Sony CCD, Sony DSP (nextchip DSP).......board lens.....WDR, ex-view....

above all, what are you requirements on CAMERAS & DVR & DVR CARDS ???

Funny thing... just about every bottom-of-the-barrel camera I see touts "SONY CCD" very prominently... while most of the GOOD cameras don't even bother to list the CCD maker other than buried in the spec sheet, and a number of the best ones don't use the Sony sensors at all.

The Panasonic CP/CW484 cameras, for example, are widely regarded as one of the better analog cameras out there, and on Panasonic's website, they don't list the brand of CCD. Even the sales brochure doesn't give a brand name for the CCD.

It's like the cheaper the camera, the more they need to throw about a supposedly big brand name to try to sell themselves. Like nothing else matters about the camera, but IT'S GOT A SONY CCD, IT MUST BE GOOD, WOOOO!!!

Sorry, but Sony ain't the name it once was - they survive these days on their name and little else. The fact that you find it important to tell us your cameras are loaded with Sony electronics tells me that they have very little else going for them... and Sony parts alone are a very poor selling point.

It is very interesting until now on this topic.

Actually, maybe I am not familiar with camera at all, however, here all I know for cameras are made with Sony ccd. In fact, there are two kind of sensors for cameras, CMOS & CCD. In the market, nearly 60% CCD of cameras are used Sony CCD, and 30% for Sharp CCD.

Recently, Sharp CCD is not good in the market because of low quality, especially on image viewing.

Yes, Panasonic once was good in the market, but it was few (3~5) years ago.

If they themself could make the CCD, of course, the specification won't write any brand.

Nowadays, nearly all the manufactuers (sellers) would like to show the brand of CCD on spec.

Yes, Panasonic once was good in the market, but it was few (3~5) years ago.

Sorry, but the Panasonic SuperDynamic lines are still the cameras of choice for tough lighting. Go check some other threads for discussions and screenshots from the SD5 models.

Nowadays, nearly all the manufactuers (sellers) would like to show the brand of CCD on spec.

The point is, the cheap junky cameras use the CCD brand as their main selling point. The good ones DON'T NEED TO.

I agree with you to a point, Soundy. The Sony CCD in itself is perfectly fine, but it is the rest of the components which a lot of manufacturers go cheap on that ruins the camera. I don't have any issues promoting the fact that many of the cameras I sell to customers have the Sony CCD but I also explain that the rest of the camera is built with quality parts as well.

Edited by Guest

there are some cheap panasonic chips in some cameras out of asia these days .. not sure what the deal is with them but they pretty much suck as I have used them in the past; they do seem better than the Sharp CCD though. But its not the same as the Panasonic cameras we are talking about.

I agree with you to a point, Soundy. The Sony CCD in itself is perfectly fine, but it is the rest of the components which a lot of manufacturers go cheap on that ruins the camera. I don't have any issues promoting the fact that many of the cameras I sell to customers have the Sony CCD but I also explain that the rest of the camera is built with quality parts as well.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the Sony CCDs... just that cameras that seem to need to SHOUT that fact all over their marketing probably do so because they have very little else to shout about... and are counting on the fact that Sony is a highly recognizable name. Our friend above is a quintessential example of this, pushing his bottom-of-the-barrel cameras, and when called out on it, insisting that they MUST be good simply because they use Sony chips.

Frankly, after yet another customer-support nightmare recently (granted, with consumer products, not at the component level), I've completely lost whatever respect I may have had for Sony as a company.

Indeed. It makes selecting a camera system a complete circus for consumers. People see Sony CCD and assume that they are getting a heckuva deal for that camera with the Sony CCD, weatherproof housing and IR emitters for $35 and that the local CCTV installer is ripping them off on their quote. Makes me crazy! But that is the reality of the business.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's question, the first thing I thought of is why not put up some decent quality non-IR cameras and motion activated lighting? Get all that mounted and then put up a sign at the property entrance warning that your land is under 24 hour video surveillance. The key is to use the system as a deterrent first.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's question, the first thing I thought of is why not put up some decent quality non-IR cameras and motion activated lighting? Get all that mounted and then put up a sign at the property entrance warning that your land is under 24 hour video surveillance. The key is to use the system as a deterrent first.

Absolutely! It's better to make sure problems DON'T happen in the first place, rather than to simply have a record of it happening. Cameras or not, your average perp's initial concern is not being seen AT ALL - some nice bright motion-activated lights will first and foremost startle them, and ideally drive them away before they get any further. If that doesn't work, the lights mean your camera(s) will get a way better picture than they would with IR.