garraty

geovision not working as expected

Sorry this is so long, but accuracy in description seems to go a ways in finding decent answers.

I had a stand alone $400.00 DVR with two cameras hooked up. Recorded just fine at D1. I wanted more cameras and retained quality. Also wanted a feature not available on this stand-alone, pre-record on motion. Geovision seemed good, but works horribly, to say the least!

System is i7-920 on a gigabyte MB, 6 GB ram (only sees 4, of course), Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), HD 4770 video, several 1.5TB drives. And of course, one geovision 1240A-8 card, running 8.3.1 which came with it.

Right now, there are only two cameras hooked up: One good quality 520TVL and one el-cheapo bullet.

When I installed, the video was barely passable, at least for recorded video. The display was not even usable, whenever motion occurs on the screen it looks like only every 3rd or 4th scan line is updated. Just started monitoring the two cameras, recorded video was at least better than the onscreen, but not as expected. When I set the video source to anything other than low resolution default all video is not usable. Choppy is putting it nicely, if I move fast enough, I may never show up on video. If I wave in front of a camera that is a couple feet away, at times my hand gets stuck on the top half of the video, other times it drops several seconds of video all together.

Is this fixable, or should I send back the geovision card, resource the computer and get a couple standalone DVRs instead, at least they record motion.

Sorry this is so long, but accuracy in description seems to go a ways in finding decent answers.

I had a stand alone $400.00 DVR with two cameras hooked up. Recorded just fine at D1. I wanted more cameras and retained quality. Also wanted a feature not available on this stand-alone, pre-record on motion. Geovision seemed good, but works horribly, to say the least!

System is i7-920 on a gigabyte MB, 6 GB ram (only sees 4, of course), Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), HD 4770 video, several 1.5TB drives. And of course, one geovision 1240A-8 card, running 8.3.1 which came with it.

Right now, there are only two cameras hooked up: One good quality 520TVL and one el-cheapo bullet.

When I installed, the video was barely passable, at least for recorded video. The display was not even usable, whenever motion occurs on the screen it looks like only every 3rd or 4th scan line is updated. Just started monitoring the two cameras, recorded video was at least better than the onscreen, but not as expected. When I set the video source to anything other than low resolution default all video is not usable. Choppy is putting it nicely, if I move fast enough, I may never show up on video. If I wave in front of a camera that is a couple feet away, at times my hand gets stuck on the top half of the video, other times it drops several seconds of video all together.

Is this fixable, or should I send back the geovision card, resource the computer and get a couple standalone DVRs instead, at least they record motion.

Hi!

Here you have more then 1 problem I think!

One thing I would like to know is what GB motherboard you have, modelname/number!

Also the default settings on Geovision is CIF recording, so if you havent changed it, maybe you should increase it to D1.

Then I think DSP should be default activated if not do so.

Have you installed all drivers for motherbord/graphic card.

JD

the biggest problem i see there is windows 7

Dont forget those stand alone DVRs arent running an OS that requires an 8 core CPU, 16 GBs of RAM, and a super sonic video card, to be close to useful.

Install XP then load Geo back on and let us know if its any better.

Even with XP it is best if one strips it down and tweaks it to make it faster and more stable. With an OS like Vista or Windows 7 being somewhere like 80% slower then XP .. I wouldnt expect to just run a DVR server on the default setup. Many so called "pros" do this but they are wrong in doing so.

Anyway, the Geo card could be bad also, or even some issue with the HDD. Geo 8.3 is VERY buggy as well. I would love for them to come on this forum and explain why it went downhill since the release of 8.3.

Lets see if I can answer these new questions and comments, and thanks for taking the time to do so, and quickly, I might add!

The GB motherboard is GB EX58-UD5, only version there is, 1.0

default is CIF, yes, when I upped it to anything higher it didn't really work at all.

I installed all updated drivers for the MB from the GB site, and all Video drivers as well from XFX site. I have not updated the BIOS on the MB though, I will try and get a floppy drive today and do that.

DSP defaulted to on, I never changed it.

Windwos 7, I saw others using it, figured it would be OK. I'll drop down to XP if needed. Will XP home do? Or should I use XP professional?

The machine running GV is very fast, even a default install without tweaking will have enough power to handle 50 times the video traffic I am sending to it. Right now, I have one core running at 5 percent, all others at 3 percent when I have two cameras recording.

Now, tweaking for stability, that is another story altogether.

I can rule out the HD, I messed with configuration of GV so much at one point, I just reinstalled windows and GV on another new HD and had the same issues.

Anywhere I can get a version of GV before 8.3 to see if that helps?

Also, all indications from everything I have read point to a real GV card; included software, packaging and stickers on card. Also, are there even fake version 'A' cards out there yet?

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions, I will try updating my BIOS, changing my OS and checking here for new suggestions.

Lets see if I can answer these new questions and comments, and thanks for taking the time to do so, and quickly, I might add!

The GB motherboard is GB EX58-UD5, only version there is, 1.0

default is CIF, yes, when I upped it to anything higher it didn't really work at all.

I installed all updated drivers for the MB from the GB site, and all Video drivers as well from XFX site. I have not updated the BIOS on the MB though, I will try and get a floppy drive today and do that.

DSP defaulted to on, I never changed it.

Windwos 7, I saw others using it, figured it would be OK. I'll drop down to XP if needed. Will XP home do? Or should I use XP professional?

The machine running GV is very fast, even a default install without tweaking will have enough power to handle 50 times the video traffic I am sending to it. Right now, I have one core running at 5 percent, all others at 3 percent when I have two cameras recording.

Now, tweaking for stability, that is another story altogether.

I can rule out the HD, I messed with configuration of GV so much at one point, I just reinstalled windows and GV on another new HD and had the same issues.

Anywhere I can get a version of GV before 8.3 to see if that helps?

Also, all indications from everything I have read point to a real GV card; included software, packaging and stickers on card. Also, are there even fake version 'A' cards out there yet?

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions, I will try updating my BIOS, changing my OS and checking here for new suggestions.

For windows 7 you could try Geovision 8.3.2 version

Also if this fails, try another graphic card!

JD

Do you have the supplemental power connected to the geo card?

I'm running Win7 and a 1480 and it looks good. I had XP on it and don't really see any difference between the two of them. Both show the same video.

Well, I tried many things.

EDIT: Yes, I have the supplemental power plugged in.

I tried using 8.2 on Windows 7, could not get the drivers to work, kept getting KeyPro error.

Installed Win 7 again, tried using drivers from 8.3.1 and then installing 8.2, got KeyPro error.

Went to XP Pro, tried 8.2 as well, got the KeyPro error...Maybe I am installing drivers incorrectly from the 8.2 version I got, who knows.

Installed XP Pro again, used 8.3.1 drivers with 8.2 software, received KeyPro error.

Reinstalled XP Pro again, installed everything from my 8.3.1 that came with my card. I would say it is exactly the same as Windows 7...except the beep works now when I remove video feeds.

I tried another video card in the last setup...And yes, I reinstalled XP Pro and everything else.

Used latest Video drivers, Chipset drivers, audio drivers and network drivers.

At this point, my belief is the GV card itself. I guess I could install everything on another i7 machine I have, which is different RAM, Video, MotherBoard, network, etc.

To say it again, here are the two (main) problems.

1) On live video, movement looks horrible, like every third scan line is updated.

2) On recorded video, if I walk in front of a camera (or two or three cameras) I will be jittery, sometimes the bottom half of me separates from the top half. It always slices the image about 1/3 down from the top.

I tried using 8.2 on Windows 7, could not get the drivers to work, kept getting KeyPro error.

Installed Win 7 again, tried using drivers from 8.3.1 and then installing 8.2, got KeyPro error.

Went to XP Pro, tried 8.2 as well, got the KeyPro error...Maybe I am installing drivers incorrectly from the 8.2 version I got, who knows.

Installed XP Pro again, used 8.3.1 drivers with 8.2 software, received KeyPro error.

Reinstalled XP Pro again, installed everything from my 8.3.1 that came with my card. I would say it is exactly the same as Windows 7...except the beep works now when I remove video feeds.

I tried another video card in the last setup...And yes, I reinstalled XP Pro and everything else.

At this point, my belief is the GV card itself. I guess I could install everything on another i7 machine I have, which is different RAM, Video, MotherBoard, network, etc.

1) On live video, movement looks horrible, like every third scan line is updated.

2) On recorded video, if I walk in front of a camera (or two or three cameras) I will be jittery, sometimes the bottom half of me separates from the top half. It always slices the image about 1/3 down from the top.

PAL/NTSC/SECAM issue?

JD

I have some pictures on this forum about GV-2008 could you search and have alook at these pictures and tell me if it looks anything alike your problem?

JD

Someone else said the new cards only work with the new 8.3 software ... so that would explain the keypro errors at least.

Well, I am still in the same situation. It is not a PAL/NTSC problem, everything is on NTSC, cameras and software.

The images I get are not the same as JOINDVR's pictures; if I walk by a camera to record, I get me showing on the camera, then the top half of me continues off the frame while the bottom half of me either stays at the start of the frame, or just disappears and replaced by the still image.

On live view, I get lines similar to your images, but the lines only show on the part that has movement, not the entire image.

In other words, the only part of images that are problematic are parts that change.

I have tried three video cards now, all do exactly the same thing. I have tried 8.2 which does not work at all and I just tried the new 8.3.2 software, which updated the firmware on the card and then acted exactly the same as 8.3.1 which came with the card. To mention this too, I have tried every PCI-E slot the card fits in, which is all except the x1 slot.

I'll try another i7-920 system I have, which has a different brand of motherboard, memory and video card altogether.

If that fails, does anyone have suggestions for something other than GeoVision?

the PCI-e Geo card are x1 so should fit in at the least a x1 slot, and should fit in the x16 also using the first part of it. Requires power from the PSU, so check the PSU is good also.

Strip down the PC .. use onboard video if you have it, put the video card aside for now.

Disconnect the DVD/CD drive, and any additional HDDs, just leave:

mobo, 2GB memory, CPU w fan, 1 HDD, PSU.

AND DVR card ofcourse

Disconnect the audio card if you connected it.

Make sure the right pigtail is being used .. not using VGA extenders.

Reformat and load XP SP2, and install drivers and nothing else BUT the geo server software.

Then see whats up.

Hi!

I feel very lucky to find this post...

I have the same problem and the same PC setup!

And I was planing to make the same changes in order to solve the problem. (So I saved a lot of time by reading the post!!)

To be more specific, this is my setup:

CPU: I7 920

M/B: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

RAM: Corsair 3GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit

PSU: Chieftec 650W

Video: Gigabyte GT 210 (512MB)

HDD: 750GB

Windows Vista Business

Geovision GV1480A X 2 (32 CH )

PAL CCTV cameras

Since I have two GV1480A cards I tried to install them separately and the problem remains.

I also noticed that when I plug in more cameras the problem becomes worst. The image will freeze on most cameras.

It gives the impression that there is not enough processing power or bandwidth...

So in my opinion it is probably a motherboard issue.

I explored the BIOS but didn't find anything concerning the PCI express.

I will try to install the cards on a different PC and I will post the results.

PS.: 1) Version 8.2 and earlier is not supported from your card.

2) Try to install more cameras at once and see what happens...

I am going to try in another i7-920 machine I have, it is running an ASUS motherboard. Since geovision recommends a 920 for your setup (dual cards) it must be working on some motherboard. I will let you you know what happens, but really glad to know someone else has similar issues.

Do you happen to know which SATA controller your hard drive is connected to? I am on the GB one, not the Intel one. I keep forgetting to test using the Intel controller and maybe you can save me the trouble if you are already using it.

My HDD as well as the DVD is connected to the blue SATA controller.

I was reading other threads and it looks like the Quad Core processors don't feet so well with the V8.3 software and the new PCi Express cards.

But there are people how says that I7 works fine for them with V8.3.

On Monday a friend will borrow me his computer to test it. I thing it has a Core 2 processor.

Today I tryied my cards on a P4 2.8 with PCi express and both of them worked fine. Ofcourse they used all CPU power just for the live view to work.

Now that i know the problem is not in the cards, I am not sure if I should change the whole computer with a dual core, or if I can just change the Gigabyte motherboard with another brand.

Garraty did you try the ASUS motherboard? Because I am planning to buy one...

Today I tryied my cards on a P4 2.8 with PCi express and both of them worked fine. Ofcourse they used all CPU power just for the live view to work.

Now that i know the problem is not in the cards, I am not sure if I should change the whole computer with a dual core, or if I can just change the Gigabyte motherboard with another brand.

Hi!

Have you tried different Graphic card? I would day that is the reason!

Also if it is an onboard VGA, that is not always the best, and as usual a sign that the motherboard is a lower end board!

JD

the biggest problem i see there is windows 7

Dont forget those stand alone DVRs arent running an OS that requires an 8 core CPU, 16 GBs of RAM, and a super sonic video card, to be close to useful.

Install XP then load Geo back on and let us know if its any better.

Simple and VERY TRUE answer .

I've tried NLITE XP_SP2 on GigaBYTE GA73PVM-S2 (nVidia nFORCE 630 chipset with 7100 VGA onboard ) with Intel DC E5200 running on 3.8GHz ! with GV800 @ 8.3 sw.

This works perfectly and very , very fast and stable .

Thanks again Rory .

Hi!

Have you tried different Graphic card? I would day that is the reason!

Also if it is an onboard VGA, that is not always the best, and as usual a sign that the motherboard is a lower end board!

JD

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and it is supposed to be a good one... probably has some kind of incompatibility since Garraty has the same M/B and the same problem with me.

My video card is a Gigabyte GT 210 (512MB) and tommorrow I will see what happens if I replace it.

Is there anybody having problems with the I7 processor and the new PCi exress Combo cards? I read that Quad Core don't feet well with Geo V8.3

I've got an evga 210 vid card and it's either that or the memory that has been driving me insane. Not 100% sure since I replaced both at the same time but i'm leaning towards the vid card for two reasons.

First, The memory was running in the same machine (different motherboard) for the last 18 months with zero issues.

The video card was new. I tried 2 different drivers for the 210. The newest one produce blue screens with the geo software in 1-3 hours and sometimes quicker.

I uninstalled the drivers (driver sweeper in safe mode etc) and put in older drivers. This is a new card from nvidia so there are not a lot of old drivers. However the oldest driver would allow us to operate for 5-12 hours before a blue screen. Sometimes they were much quicker timewise but always better than the newest driver.

That's why I think the 210 is the issue.

Replaced 210 with a 7800gt and so far so good. picture quality isn't as good but at least no bluescreens. So I'm looking for a good card that will work with this system and make it look the best it can.

I've got an evga 210 vid card and it's either that or the memory that has been driving me insane. Not 100% sure since I replaced both at the same time but i'm leaning towards the vid card for two reasons.

First, The memory was running in the same machine (different motherboard) for the last 18 months with zero issues.

The video card was new. I tried 2 different drivers for the 210. The newest one produce blue screens with the geo software in 1-3 hours and sometimes quicker.

I uninstalled the drivers (driver sweeper in safe mode etc) and put in older drivers. This is a new card from nvidia so there are not a lot of old drivers. However the oldest driver would allow us to operate for 5-12 hours before a blue screen. Sometimes they were much quicker timewise but always better than the newest driver.

That's why I think the 210 is the issue.

Replaced 210 with a 7800gt and so far so good. picture quality isn't as good but at least no bluescreens. So I'm looking for a good card that will work with this system and make it look the best it can.

Today I replaced the GT 210 with a GT 250. Nothing has changed.

I thing it is better to use older hardware with Geo products.

I also tried to decrease the number of cores inside the bios. I tried 1 and 2 cores only but nothing has changed...

After going 5 days with the 7800gt I switched back to the 210 vid card and 191.07 drivers for it. Let's see if it gets through the whole day without bluescreening.

If definately looks better quality wise with the 210 over the 7800.

BTW, i'm using a quad core (q6600) so I don't think that is the issue.

Also, an I7 has 8 cores if hyperthreading is on. You could turn that off and it will go to four cores instead of four cores and four virtual cores.

I finally did it...

I installed the latest BIOS version to the Gigabyte motherboard and now most of the problems are solved!