swampguinnie

Day/Night Outdoor camera recommendations anybody please?

Hi folks,

I have an Avermedia EH5116 pro DVR, can accept IP or analogue camera's. I would like to improve on my outside camera (currently analogue), it would be a piece of cake to upgrade wiring to POE IP but what camera will give me the best night shots? And colour in daytime?

I have attached a snapshot of the current camera for guidance, it is a no name job. (Told supplier this is being returned tomorrow)

There is street lighting which is low level lighting all night long. I also plan on installing a 100w sodium spot light bulb just to the right of the camera and hopefully lighting the cars in the bottom right of the pictur at least + some road.

You see the man in the bottom left of the picture, if he was a thief he would never be recognized.

Help greatly appreciated.

Swampie

1685113419_Outdoortest.jpg.ede335c6b12ae83a5e3b5214f0ae053a.jpg

thats a shocker of a picture, I would be looking at an IP camera with a cut filter.

Yellow Sodium lights ? yuk !

An overview camera and one zoomed into your choke point/cars for ID`s would be a start

z

thats a shocker of a picture, I would be looking at an IP camera with a cut filter.

Yellow Sodium lights ? yuk !

An overview camera and one zoomed into your choke point/cars for ID`s would be a start

z

Thanks Z, that was the confirmation I was looking for. Guy at the store insists its a good camera & I insisted he is having it back.

Ok, if the sodium bulb is a bad idea, whats a good idea? And is it a good idea at all to use this light? I can get another bulb for the fitting if there is a better one!!

Looking at the area, what camera would you suggest for the existing view, I can deal with a zoom for our cars also, but would presume I need it to be mounted much lower???

Swampie

Something is either wrong with the camera, its not setup right, problem with the DVR, or bad wiring/other.

Something is either wrong with the camera, its not setup right, problem with the DVR, or bad wiring/other.

Rory, your probably right. I am on my 1st install and not clued up. It took till the 3rd attempt on the termination of the coax cable to get this picture, I will check the DVR end next.

As for the camera settings, I wouldn't know where to start. It is as it came out of the box but in the store where the man showed me it working he was pointing it under counter to dark corners and getting clear boxes of cables so i thought i would leave it be.

Swampie

I would start by taking the camera back down and setting it up in a room to hook it up in direct to a monitor (taking it off the DVR completely), you could use a VGA Adapter if you dont have a CCTV monitor, and then use any computer LCD like a 15" or 17", though its not as good to focus on as a CCTV monitor or using a focus meter, its better then using a 5 or 7" LCD where you will loose way too many pixels.

Once its powered up and on monitor then adjust it in there, you can test it better by turning the light on and off. though if you need to adjust the Iris that needs to be done with outdoor lighting, which is why I use my garage to setup cameras, total controlled environment, during the day time and turn the light off and close the door to make it like night. I have certain things like licence plates and such inside there to focus on. Ofcourse for long zoom lenses like 5-50mm etc that is different.

BTW what is the make and model of the camera? It really might just be a piece of junk for all we know.

Also what kind of cable is being used, how are the connections, how is it powered, etc?

BTW what is the make and model of the camera? It really might just be a piece of junk for all we know.

Also what kind of cable is being used, how are the connections, how is it powered, etc?

Hi rory, it is a no name. Not even the user manual has a name.

The cable used is coax cable used by the previous installation from a cctv company. Not sure of the exact specification.

The power supply sold to me at the same time as this camera is very domestic looking. It has a plug on one end, i was advised to cut this off and terminate inside an empty junction box. The other end had a purpose built connector to plug into the camera with ease 12vdc power supply!

I was expecting a proper PSU similar to the box I had earlier taken down due failure (made by uniflood with circuit board inside & proper termination points).

The user manual has nothing to adjust, only zoom & focus

NoNameCamera1.JPG.6bf5b5ce888893fc83d3c3f85fc34e69.JPG

Specs look ok, even though its no name. I would get it hooked up directly to a monitor and check it out that way, possibly a bad camera though, may need some better focus, or could be something up with the DVR also. Only thing I dont see what its minimum resolution is without IR, and that normally means it wont work much at all without IR in low light. In the case of this camera and its placement the IR wont do anything there. Even if you get it focused right, it still looks like it might just be too dark and unless you blast the area with light it wont make much of a difference. Make sure the IR is even coming on, sometimes the IR board on some bullet cameras control the sensitivity of the camera as well, and if not hooked up properly or not enough power it might not be working 100%.

Edited by Guest