antdickens

Best way to add screen on a pc based system

I am looking at ways to add a secondary screen to my pc based system.

Here are my thoughts;

1. Use some vga baluns on eihter end of some shielded cat 5 cable taking the feed from the dvi out of the graphics card using an adaptor.

2. Use a second screen which has an svideo input then run a cable from the svideo out of the graphics card to the screen. Not sure about which cable to use and what distances can be acheived.

3. Buy a very long vga lead, seems expensive and would need to drill big holes to pass the connector though.

Any better ways??

We always get problems when using DVI output of graphics card, you have to disable directdraw overlay for one, next you if you maximise a camera on the screen, you get a pink box. Instead use a Video splitter, this eliminates the problem. The first option is probably the best, combined with a video splitter, you use a VGA valun and STP cable which is dead cheap and connect it up. If you're system and monitor is onthe same floor and the client has suspended ceiling you could use a VGA cable, 20-30metres max and connect it straight to the video splitter, shouldnt have a problem drilling too many holes that way.

Use a vga extender that will support 2 x screens at each end, local & remote.

These use utp Cat5 and will work to 150 metres.

They are available with or without audio

Support resolution of 1024 x 768

Cost (- audio) around £60.00