rixius

Question - How to convert VGA to IP camera?

Hello all,

Here is my situation, any advice would be helpful!

I am warden of a student residence in the UK. There are 8 cameras in the complex, with the base unit (where you can switch cameras/record DVDs) in a room downstairs. However, there is a link up to a screen in my room, so I can see whatever is on the screen downstairs.

I wondered if there was a way I could plug the VGA cable in my room to some sort of converter in order to transmit the picture on the network? My aim would be to be able to access the picture remotely.

Thanks,

R

it might be easyer to just put the dvr on the network. if you can tell us the make of your dvr then we can see if it is pos to do it that way. and it would not cost much.

Hi.

Google:

"kvm over ip" "1 computer"

for possible solutions if your system doesn't already offer network access.

-Craig

Hi,

I have checked the DVR, but no make/model is listed. There is however an ethernet port round the back. The DVR unit is quite far away from the main router - does this mean I should use a 'wireless bridge' to change the ethernet connection to be wireless?

Can anyone recommend sucha device?

Thanks,

Rich

Rixius -

Is their any network ports in the room the DVR is in? If so you could put a small network hub and patch in to that.

No, there is no network port in the room. Will it be possible to connect the dvr wirelessly to the router? (It is a wireless router)

Hi.

A wireless ethernet bridge is what you want. Have you checked the DVR settings themselves to see if you can change network settings on the DVR, like setting the IP Address?

-Craig

Thanks for the suggestion, but The DVR is not connected to a cpu.

I got it - the screen in your room is just a screen to view the DVR then. Sounds like wireless bridge is what you want to do

so.. what was the outcome here? Were you able to put the DVR online? I noted that the original poster had VGA signal that he originally wanted to put on the network. The AXIS product suggested is a composite video to IP converter. He would still have needed a scan converter to 1st convert the VGA to composite video (and the axis unit would need to handle PAL). Also, the DVR may have had a separate composite video output that could be configured to step thru all cams or provide a window grid.