Terry_yang

which kind of cameras will be popular in the coming 2 years?

I'm constantly amazed at how the lens is almost completely overlooked in this equation. The vast majority of the lenses in use that I come across (whether new ones, or on existing installs) are between f/1.4 and f/1.8... yet I do have some that are f/1.2 and I've seen them as far down as f/0.95. These don't seem like very big differences, but f/1.2 is a full stop faster than f/1.8, which means it allows TWICE the amount of light. In fact, from f/2 to f/1 is TWO stops, or FOUR times the light passage.

When low light performance is a concern, simply changing the lens could make a HUGE difference, with ANY camera.

Agree

I am trying to use mainly f/0.95 fujinon

Anyway, back to security cameras. Yes, I understand where you are coming from, but many of us need the low light. System design is always about trade-offs. You need detail. Some of us need low light. Until sensor designers can add about 5 to 8 more stops, we're forced to compromise one or the other or somewhere in the middle.

Best,

Christopher

I'm constantly amazed at how the lens is almost completely overlooked in this equation. The vast majority of the lenses in use that I come across (whether new ones, or on existing installs) are between f/1.4 and f/1.8... yet I do have some that are f/1.2 and I've seen them as far down as f/0.95. These don't seem like very big differences, but f/1.2 is a full stop faster than f/1.8, which means it allows TWICE the amount of light. In fact, from f/2 to f/1 is TWO stops, or FOUR times the light passage.

When low light performance is a concern, simply changing the lens could make a HUGE difference, with ANY camera.

Who is overlooking the lens???

Apparently, rory, everybody but you, me, and Alex.

Seriously... I could count on one hand the times maximum lens aperture is mentioned when low-light performance is discussed. Chip size, chip type, chip brand, chip TVL, chip flavour, chip crunchiness, post-processing, IR/non-IR, phases of the moon, and even the shape of Oprah's hairdo this week are all covered to death when it comes to things that affect low-light performance, but how often has anyone (besides me) suggested trying a faster lens?

And it's not just in here - when's the last time you saw marketing and advertising touting the lens's f-stop and specifically suggesting widers ones for better low-light operation?

when's the last time you saw marketing and advertising touting the lens's f-stop and specifically suggesting widers ones for better low-light operation?

Most camera specs list the lens F:stop. In the case of IR Bullets it is typically f:1.2. but no they dont mention changing the lens, ofcourse a lower fstop in the microvarifocal lens is harder to get also.

Well, I'm talking box cameras with C/CS mount in particular, since it IS easy to change out for a wide variety of lenses with those.

I'm amazed at the number of people that ignore the fact that (most) Megapixel setups use manual iris lenses, adjust them to F4-5.6 or so for a good day image, and then complain about the night performance...imagine that...

Finally, a few megapixel A/I lenses with a decent F-stop rating are coming out, Tamron has the 1/3" M13VM308 3-8mm F 1.0 A/I model. Not sure of the exact megapixel rating, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm looking into trying out the Stardot cams with A/I output, any opinion on those? ipvideomarket compared it well against the Arecont, pricing is pretty close.....