nikko50

cctv newbie here. Question

Hi all. I know nothing about cctv cameras and am in the market for a couple cameras. My father owns a business that I would like to have a couple cameras monitoring it. He does not have a PC there but he does have a DSL with wireless router. I was wondering is there cameras that I can mount and plug into the router and monitor and record on my home pc??

Yes, but you will run into a lot of headaches like:

1. DSL upload speeds are horrible. This will compromise your FPS and video quality. Not to mention slow down everything else sharing the network.

2. You will need IP cameras, preferably with H.264 streaming since they will be viewed remotley. A decent couple IP cameras will be expensive. Between $400- 1200 each. Assuming that your trying to save $$ by not having a recording device locally, IP cameras won't save you much money.

3. Reliability. You really need some sort of on site recording. You'd be suprised how often internet connections go down.

If you have the budget for it, and still think you'd like offsite recording/ viewing from 2 IP cameras... check out Mobotix. The Q24 would fit the bill nicely. These cameras have all the recording functions built in to the camera so no external recorder (DVR/ NVR) is necessay. They can easily be viewed/ recorded remotley when connected to your router... You can directly connect a SD memory card, or even an external USB hard drive to the camera.

Another plus is that this camera can take the place of several. It can record the events in an entire room with its 180 degree panoramic lens. It's possible that you'd only have to buy one if these cameras instead of 2 that you originally thought you'd need... given that you only need recording in 1 room.

Google the Mobotix Q24. Pretty sweet...

Firstly, you DON'T need IP cameras. With a DVR you can avoid having to use IP cameras that are costly. You could find dome cameras for 30-50 bucks that'll suite your needs and a 4 or 8 channel DVR wouldn't run more than 500 bucks. That's half or more off the cost of just one IP camera.

Secondly, consider upgrading to cable if your going to start using the connection for streaming video. It's generally not that much more a month than DSL and if you're investing hundreds of dollars already what's a few bucks a month to make sure you're getting the maximum capabilities from the system you're purchasing.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

The original post asked if it was possible to simply plug cameras directly into a wireless router/ hub and could be viewed/ recorded remotley. The answer is yes and you can read the solution in my previous post.

However as you mentioned, a DVR and analog cameras are also a solution and most likley the cheapest way to add CCTV in this application.

Still check out the Mobotix Q24 camera though. Everything you'd ever need for a CCTV system in one small dome... very cool.

Hi all. I know nothing about cctv cameras and am in the market for a couple cameras. My father owns a business that I would like to have a couple cameras monitoring it. He does not have a PC there but he does have a DSL with wireless router. I was wondering is there cameras that I can mount and plug into the router and monitor and record on my home pc??[/quote]

Yes,

check this one out

can't get simpler then this

www.cam2life.net

Iphone capable in very short time

I am already playing with beta ver

Edited by Guest

Hi all. I know nothing about cctv cameras and am in the market for a couple cameras. My father owns a business that I would like to have a couple cameras monitoring it. He does not have a PC there but he does have a DSL with wireless router. I was wondering is there cameras that I can mount and plug into the router and monitor and record on my home pc??[/quote]

Yes,

check this one out

can't get simpler then this

www.cam2life.net

Iphone capable in very short time

I already playing with beta ver

Interesting... what's the picture quality like? Looks similar to Panasonic and D-Link type consumer IP/ web cams....

Interesting... what's the picture quality like? Looks similar to Panasonic and D-Link type consumer IP/ web cams....

-------------------------------------------------

you can easily find live demo on website

solutions ----- > live demo

or try portable client with few cams around the world

http://www.cam2life.net/support/Software%20and%20Manual/Portable%20Version/CAm2life.net.exe

if u interested