bucknutt

Help with VideoViewer

Just installed a CPCAM four channel unit. Trying to connect to it with the VideoViewer software, but I am not able to log in. The software finds the unit (with the correct IP address), allows me to change its user name and password, but will not permit me to log in.

I have tried using the default user name/password (admin/admin), but with no success. It loads the log in screen, makes about half way through the red progess/status bar, but the says that log in has failed.

Suggestions?

Thanks Scorpion. I am more than a newbie but not an expert. Anyway, it turned out to be an easy fix, but I will post in case anyone runs into it.

I have a d-link router. It uses 172.168.0.x for the IP addresses on my network (instead of a more typical 192.168.0.x address). For other devices on my network (PS3, Directv, etc.) I have had to manually assign the 172.168.0.x address in the device before it would recognize my network.

When I first hooked up the CPCAM, I changed its IP address from 192.168.0.10 (the default) to 172.68.0.10. The computer found the CPCAM at this address, but would not let me log in to it.

I then changed the CPCAM back to 192.168.0.10. Same result. The computer found the CPCAM (now at 192.168.0.x) but would not let me log in.

I looked at the version of the VideoViewer software that came with the CPCAM and it was 0.0.8.5. There were versions as high as 2.7 on the web. I uninstalled the version that came with the CPCAM and was about to download a newer version.

Before doing so, I decided to reinstall the older VideoViewer again to see what would happen. This time the software recognized the CPCAM, but automatically assigned it an IP address of 172.168.0.10.

Everything now works. Never did download the newer version. Turns out I should not have tried to manually change the IP address. Live and learn.

Thanks for following up.