missmimi

Differences of Sony & Sharp Chipset

Hi everyone,

Which is better? Sony or Sharp Chipset?

I've heard reviews that Sony chipset is better but some suppliers said that Sharp is not bad too.

Please advise...

Thanks in advance!

There are so many other critical factors in choosing the RIGHT camera for a specific situation... the sensor manufacturer would be WAY at the bottom of my list of criteria I don't even care about.

Hmmm, we always say that Sony Chipset is better than Sharp Chipset. While Sharp is a little bit cheaper than Sony. However, it depends on your specific needs. Usually Sharp can also bring you good image quality, which can meet your needs.

As mentioned a lot of factors make up a cameras final recordable image. But I have always found the Sony chip cameras better than Sharp sensors. Also note that many Sharp imagers are the 1/4" imagers not the 1/3" chip that the Sony chip cameras "typically" may have. (Both make both size imagers)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies...

I've just tested a sharp dome camera and it seems that the color is more vibrant compared with a sony dome camera! All these while I have been using sony domes and I'm surprised!

Bright colors are more of a hardware / software issue rather than the chip. You can bump up the color on most DVR's by using the saturation setting. Try to compare sharpness between the two.

Bright colors are more of a hardware / software issue rather than the chip. You can bump up the color on most DVR's by using the saturation setting.

It's the same in a TV department. The sales staff will crank up the saturation on the models they want to move, and it works.

Try to compare sharpness between the two.

Yes, look for detail.

Best,

Christopher

That is a very big question to ask as it depends on so many other factors - generally Sony are better with low light performance depending on the grade of the chip and the type - a popular type (not grade) of Sony Chip is the Super Had - the reson it differs is that the tiny pixels in the CCD itself are curved, this allows more light to fall on the ccd....Imagine it like this ....take a square white sheet (CCD) of paper and put 50 sugar cubes on it (square pixels) when you shine a torch on it from an agle, the sharp top edges of the cubes cast shadows blocking the light from the next pixel - if those cubes were rounded then more light lands on the CCD - there is a lot more to the technology than this and as correctly mentioned above this is not the MAIN consideration, becasue if you havea good CCD and lousy electronics to cater for the signal then it can be worse

IMHO Sony make beter chips than Sharp and Sony do not release their best chips to other manufactorers - that said I think neither are leaders in the market there are plenty that are mush better