Steve_C

Help identify this interference.

Hi. Could you please look at these images from a security system I've been asked to

troubleshoot? These cameras are hooked up in a grocery store type enviroment. 16

cameras hooked up to a GV-1480. Obviously some sort of interference! At one point I

unplugged all the cameras; Trying the cameras one at a time in various inputs of

the pigtail, the interference affected each one individually. As far as the power

goes, 13 of the cameras are wired into a power distribution box. 3 are wired to

wall-wart style power transformers. Everything is plugged into a UPS, though I've

tried it with that out of the loop too. That might be just about all the

information I have right now, as I am home. I'll be back at the site tomorrow, to

gather more info. My hope was someone might just look at these and be able to tell

the problem just by looking at them. BTW, he said that they weren't always like

this, used to be nice and clear. I think he said that was about 6 months ago.

Thanks for taking a look,

Steve C.

767609122_16small.jpg.41f70bcf3fa87be423730523fd77bcd4.jpg

1964194545_bigandsmall.jpg.29578358c4c3794bb66cae11ed31e581.jpg

101128396_fullscreen.jpg.e327657b3bc70ccf8c638ab494753975.jpg

Did they do any hardware or software updates right before it started?

Otherwise I would take both pigtails off the card, remove all cameras from both pigtails, then connect just a single test camera onto each channel verifying if the channels are clear. Power the test camera from a separate socket, then try the same socket, then if it still persists move the computer to a completely different location with a different monitor and socket. Looks like it might be electrical interference, possibly something they added to the location just before it started to do this. Try and get the DVR, Monitor, and Camera power on a different breaker.

Another thing you could do to test is to remove the drivers then reinstall them, and reinstall the server software. What version of geo is this? If its 8.3 then upgrade to 8.32 or downgrade to 8.12 if its an pre 8.3 card.

Just some ideas.

Thanks for the tips. I have unplugged all the cameras, and can confirm the interference is present on each camera individually, in any input.

My plan tomorrow is to try a camera hooked directly to a small composite monitor I have. Then, I'll know if the interference is in the camera signal, or being introduced at/in the computer. That should be helpful, right! Any other tips are greatly welcomed, Thanks.

Hi. After much testing, I have it narrowed down to one of three things:

1. Motherboard

- Asus P5LD2. Computer otherwise runs rock solid though...

2. Video Card

- Geforce 6600 PCI-e 256MB. Multiple driver versions tried.

- Did fail one of the DxDiag tests...

3. OS installation. Windows XP SP3

- The easiest/cheapest thing to try first I suppose. But also the least likely IMO?

'Tho he does use the computer for other things besides CCTV, there's all kinds

of crap on that PC...

So, it's gotta be one of those three; I've tested everything else.

Which do you think the most likely culprit is?

Thanks again!

Steve C.

I'm betting a hardware problem. Notice that the GV software is drawing the screen right, except where there is camera input. All the camera input is bad, so it probably is the card or mobo. That does not look like a video driver problem, but did you try turning direct draw on/off?

Hi.

Yes, tried DirectDraw on or off, same issue.

Client is very price-conscious, so I'd hate to order the wrong thing.

Would you think it's more likely the video card, or the mobo?

Thanks, Steve C.

that really looks more like gorund potential issue or interference than software issue...if your sure it works ok on an analogue input then what i would look for is this - can you connect a different power supply for the PC, some PC Powersupplies can become unshielded - and if they are too close to the card this can be an issue - but that is rather rare - to be honest my bets would have been the powersupply for the cameras or some wiring running near power near the DVR - the fact that it is on every channel says that either the card is affected or the cables all come in to the DVR near mains power - but like I said I have seen this exact same thing with an unshielded internal pc power supply.....does the cord have an earth?

My guess would be the Geo card itself, since everything else is drawing properly...

Honestly, if you've ruled out the cameras themselves, this would be the point that I'd recommend putting in a loaner system, and taking this one home to your bench for further work, instead of sitting there ripping it apart on the customer's site. If you really want to use the throw-money-at-it-until-it-goes-away approach, you can then limit it to your own money instead of the customer's: buy all the different parts you think you'll need, swap stuff around until it's fixed, then rebuild the system with only the necessary replacements, and bill the customer only for those parts. The other stuff, you can either try to return to the store, or keep for future projects.

The beauty with this plan is, if you start with the Geo card and that's NOT the problem, you end up with an extra card that you can build another DVR around

And BTW, if I were you, I would STRONGLY recommend that he get a separate PC for all his "other stuff besides CCTV" - the cost of a couple service calls to remove spyware and clean up the "junk" will easily pay for a separate system, and he won't have to worry about downtime on his DVR.

check your system and application event log first. see if there is anything strange going on there. make sure you are not using vga Extenders for the pigtails. make sure there is no high voltage running near the DVR or camera cables.

some things to try ..

1-Try a different monitor

2-Try different pigtails - would need to borrow from another geo DVR, or buy new.

3-Disconnect all cameras, power a test camera up locally and plug it into it direct.

4-take out all unnecessary hardware (eg. DVD, Modem) or simply disconnect them from the mobo.

5-move the PC, monitor, and test camera to a completely different location.

6-reformat Computer and install Windows XP SP2, install all Drivers, Load DVR software.

7-Change Video Card.

8-Change Power Supply.

9-Change Motherboard.

10-Change DVR Card .....

as DVR card is the most difficult thing to get, thats the last thing i would try, unless you have easy access to a replacement.

Excellent advice all, I appreciate the help!

Many of these possibilities have been tested for.

I will tell you what I've done.

I tried a video source (a Zune) directly into the card with no cameras hooked up. Same interference. Camera signals plugged into composite monitor yeilds clean signal...

Power issues: Swapped power supply, tried different outlets, even let it run directly off of a UPS, all with same interference.

Geo card: The Geo 1428 is currently running in a test computer at the same location, the cameras are perfectly clear!

Different monitor: tried it..

Drivers, etc.: Tried Geo v8.0 and 8.3.1. Updated Mobo BIOS. Geforce 6600 drivers old and new, exact versions unavailable right now...

So really, I believe I have it narrowed down to interference being added inside the computer.

@rory, I like your tip about stripping down non-vital components inside the computer, I will try that. Also I see you specifically mention SP2 for Win XP, would there be any issues with SP3?

The easiest next thing to try I guess is a fresh XP install. Who knows what he's been using it for, and maybe it's just knackered!

I am grateful for your help,

Steve C.

Another thing you could do is get another hard drive, or repartition his existing drive if its large enough, and install XP on that. At least you will take any software he has running out of the equation. Perhaps some driver for other hardware is causing the issue. What other hardware is installed, or what drivers are installed but the hardware missing?

yes I prefer SP2, but SP3 should not cause the issue you are having, its just some mostly useless updates anyway once the OS is tweaked as i list in the Geo sub forum. If you only have SP3 no problem.

Well you have done most of the testing already, if its working in the other PC then its down to this one. I would try fresh XP first, then start switching hardware until finding the culprit. Heck, his hard drive might even be bad, but I would start with the DVD/CD, if 2 strips of ram take each one out at a time, use one from the test PC if possible, etc.

Lastly, you could try to default the BIOS incase he has been playing around in there.

can you not loan a dvr from an engineer just to see what pictures you get. also just check to see if someone has changed the settings to PAL cameras ....it should be on NTSC cameras.

can you not loan a dvr from an engineer just to see what pictures you get. also just check to see if someone has changed the settings to PAL cameras ....it should be on NTSC cameras.

YES. thats what it looks like actually. PAL on NTSC here ... I see that with my USB TV device when testing cameras on my laptop, it always defaults to PAL if a setting is changed before changing the other setting .. nothing to do with Geovision though.

Thing is though .. i cant remember seeing a setting for PAL/NTSC with geo??

Although there is a file in the Windows directory called geoPal.ini,

[General]

VideoStand=1

PAL=0

Not sure if that even makes a difference but it is worth checking out, obviously it should be PAL=0, not PAL=1. Though maybe this PAL means something different LOL.

Oh yeah one more thing, did you remove Geo completely then reinstall?

Remove all the Geo*.ini files from the windows directory also, and in the registry remove the geovision keys in the user and local machine software sections. Delete the C:\GV1480 folder.

Run CCleaner then reinstall geo and try again? Make sure its the right version of geo.

I would imagine you would also see a clour bleed if it was the wrong standard - i dont think you can chage the standard after install can you?

I still think its the DVR Power supply causing interference or a video card with power right next to the capture card.

NTSC - PAL makes sensse but I have seen this before where a DVR powersupply becomes unshielded or un earthed.

PS when you plugged in the Zune - did you remove all other cameras - this is important as one bad signal could affect the entire card?

Hi. Regarding the PAL, when I upgraded to 8.3.x, I chose NTSC at installation, and interference remained. I uninstalled the drivers and the Geovision main system using the install media, but I didn't manually remove Geo files or registry entries, so some settings may have remained...

I'm definitely going to clean install XP on it, and check it then.

@cctv_down_under; When I tested it with the Zune, the cameras were all unplugged, and tried it in either pigtail. Also, I thought power supply too, but I did swap it out to no avail, and tried other power sources too.

I'll report after the XP install,

Thanks everyone,

Steve C.

Well that narrows it down a lot....

You ahve eliminated the folowing;

Cameras at site - because Zune didnt work either

Power supply at site - Zune didnt work

Cabling at site - Zune didnt work

Earth loop - zune didnt work

Geo Card - Tried in another machine and worked

DVR power supply (for the pc) - Tried another one same problem

So inreality that only leaves - software set up, video standard or PC ahrdware (other than the PC power supply) - I dont think it will take long now to work it out just try replacing components one at a time after a fresh install and amke sure you have the correct video standard - I am now thnking MOBO or Videocard but was SURE it was PC powersupply

We have seen this before, cant find the topic, but same picture.

The geovision card has broken that time.

Guess thats here the same thing.

Recordings also this distortion?

Use a litte film, drop at in your record map and play it and see if it runs fine..?