bpzle

Strange internet problems, even for a seasoned tech

I've got a client that called me today having internet problems with some equipment I installed. (PC based Aver server in a Dell Vostro. I also supplied the Linksys wireless router: WRT54G2.) Everything has been working great for the past few months until yesterday.

I think I've exhausted their patience talking on the phone having them check things... Looks like I'll have to drive out there but I REALLY don't want to...

Here's the problem:

The internet is not accessible on the PC via the hardwired connection to the router. MS-DOS WAN pings fail (both IP and DNS). The PC is setup for a static IP. The PC is the ONLY device on the network. IP address, Subnet, and Gateway all correct. An IPCONFIG command confirms this. Router, Modem, and PC have all been rebooted....duh. None of the DVR functions are working remotely obviously. Ports are setup correctly. Router is setup to automatically acquire IP from modem. And it's getting one...

Here's the really quirky thing... I can remote into the router and I can even ping the PC's IP address from the router's diagnostic tool. So, I know the router works.

The NIC works as when the PC is temporarily setup for DHCP, a direct connection to the DSL modem gets a good signal.

I also tried setting the PC to DHCP and rebooting to grab an IP from the router. I didn't think to confirm the PC snatched an IP off it OR could ping the router after that, but there was still no internet.

Again, I feel like I've kind of exhausted this client's phone time troubleshooting so I haven't done everything I'd do if I was there... but even with what troubleshooting I've done, I'm still puzzled at wtf could be going on.

I'll have a better idea when I get out there tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm still kinda scratchin my head. Any ideas?

A few things come to mind...

One, set the PC for DHCP, and confirm that it does get an IP from the router.

Two, check if you can access the router's config page from the PC.

Three, are you sure that you can't access the internet, or can you just not lookup names on the PC? If the PC's DNS setting is wrong or has a problem, it won't be able to resolve names. Instead of http://www.google.com, for example, try http://74.125.155.106

Four, if all else fails, do a factory reset on the router. It's possible (actually, very possible) that the user has tweaked or changed something in the router setup that's broken the connection. They will deny it vehemently, of course, usually fearing that they'll have to pay for the service call instead of it being a warranty fix.

Finally, it's possible the router itself has failed and will need to be replaced. If possible, take a spare along to swap in (I like to always carry a cheap Belkin wireless router for just such instances). If that works, leave the other one in place and take the WRT home for hacking and experimenting

Thanks for the reply... that's kinda what I've got planned tomorrow to check/ double check for myself. I was just hoping for a common sense fairy to pop me in the head so I could go, "ohhhhhh yaaaaaa!!" and then call them and go, "do this... voila!" lol

Im not familiar with avermedia PC DVRs but instead of ping, telnet to the ports, if that works then you know the http server ports are at least open and functioning. If local telnet works from another PC on the local network, but remote telnet does not, then its a router issue.

Other then that could mean a problem with the software itself. do they use the PC for anything else? check the hard drive for bad sectors, file corruption or malware.

router crapped out... weird, that it would communicate remotely but nothing directly connected would automatically attain an IP or even ping the router. first time I've ever seen that...

Just fixed a clients network something took out the ADSL MODEM and the LAN card, power spike I guess !

Z

Are there mulitple NIC's on the system. Usually having 2 gateways on 1 system and not having them bridged will block internet access as it doesnt know what gate way to use.

If using 2 or more nics only 1 nic card should have a gateway while the others have only IP and Subnet.

Just fixed a clients network something took out the ADSL MODEM and the LAN card, power spike I guess !

Z

I've seen that a couple times... even with phone/ dsl surge supressors properly gounded.

Had to work many a late night troubleshooting storm related power surges at many of our retail sites... network, security panel, CCTV, intercom, POS, gas pumps... all that crap is connected somehow. You'd get a couple things up, only to find somethin else is fried... a real nightmare.