plindsay1

400 Yard shots - Enginering for vibration control

Anyone who has put a camera with a 50mm lens up and has had to shoot long shots is most likely aware that the vibration effect at the camera has huge implications on the shot.

I need to guarantee this does not happen. I am using analog cameras (as per client), and have multiple shots from buildings that range from 60 -100ft tall, and am shooting doorways 400 yards away.

Any ideas? Wind is a factor on the housing. May be the main source of vibration. Budget is good, and custom built camera fastening systems are expected, but not necessary.

Any ideas? Wind is a factor on the housing. May be the main source of vibration. Budget is good, and custom built camera fastening systems are expected, but not necessary.

Has the customer already selected the camera model, or are you free to select any analog camera? Some models do include anti-shake processing.

Best,

Christopher

I don't know exactly what they use (optical or electronic stabilization, vibration absorption in the mounting, etc.) but we have a Pelco Esprit PTZ on top of a 50' tower on one site, and it has very little problem with wind shake. I can turn the camera around to see the lighting rod on the tower and see it waving like crazy in the wind, but the camera remains pretty solid (not 100% motionless, but still quite good).

For a PTZ, the Pelco Esprit /Spectra have electronic image stabilization.

For a fixed cam, you could look at the new Panasonic WV-CP504 or the Samsung VSS series cams with electronic image stabilization.

I'm pretty much hooked on moving an existing Camera. Not sure what it is, It's in a big Pelco enclosure, so I am goind to assume its a Pelco camera. There are PTZ's to move as well. They are not domes, so I will assume they are esprit's.

Thanks all, I'll look into cameras with anti-vibration technology if it is an available option.