Stoic

Hello, and how does anyone make it in this biz?

Where are your client's priorities? (pick two)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where are your client's priorities? (pick two)

• GOOD - My clients appreciate quality
    • CHEAP - My clients want everything for free
    • FAST - My clients want it yesterday

Hello everyone!

Hailing from East Atlanta, I'm a bit of a CCTV newb trying to learn this industry quick! This stuff is all right up my alley as far as interest goes, as I build computers, understand photography and lighting, and have a real interest in security and techie things, etc...

Anyway, my reason for coming here to CCTVForum.com, is that need to purchase and install 20 to 40 cameras across 2 or 3 sites. The main install is for a small biz with less than a couple dozen personnel, but it's an 11,000 sq. ft., 2 story printing facility with several departments. Here's what they need:

• Start with 16 cams, upgrade later to about 24 cams
  • D1 or higher resolution
  • 7.5 to 15 FPS recording
  • Motion detection and GOOD remote viewing
  • Must be stable and secure (this system is to defend from employee vandalism, corporate espionage, etc.)

So I know what I want to buy... The technical side is fairly easy, so long as you can read between the lies that seemingly every manufacturer and reseller feeds you. I've spent 3 days comparing the likes of GeoVision, AverMedia, NUUO, HikVision, EZWatch (I know, I know... But at least EZ shows video samples of their cams!), BlueCherry's offerings (I like the idea of a linux DVR) and so on... But I seem to be right back where I started on Friday, which is to say I'm still looking for a decent wholesale distributor of quality CCTV equipment.

Everyone and his brother seems to have their own brand of DVR cards, cameras and even software, and this is making it impossible for me to get my bearings straight. Even if I want to buy quality products, I can't hardly find any for sale because of the horribly over-saturated marketplace! Could someone with experience please tell me how to wade through this mess without the slime sticking to me? All these chop-suey $XX99.99 specials (usually with no demo or even sample photos) are putting a mighty foul taste in my mouth.

My clients are often my friends, so I can't just sell them snake oil and disappear... Please advise on a wholesaler for quality CCTV equipment in the US (preferably the Southeast)! I can't do anything until I find a good distributor, and my client would appreciate some surveillance ASAP (they're having a big event this weekend, actually!).

Feel free to PM me, as I could really use some help here.

Thanks,

Zach Maier

---

Hey Zach, welcome to the site!

Well right off the top, I think the most important question for your immediate issue is, what's the budget? If you're not looking for "dirt cheap", I'd suggest checking out the Vigil systems at http://www.3xlogic.com and IQEye megapixel cameras at http://www.iqeye.com - no, I don't work for them, I'm just a tech for a very satisfied seller/integrator with some very satisfied customers running Vigil systems (we currently have 16-channel Vigil systems in Western Canadian gas stations for two of Canada's largest oil companies, some analog, some mixed, and some all-IP/megapixel, as well as hybrid 16- and 32-channel systems in a major upscale restaurant chain, in addition to a number of other customers using our Vigil + analog/megapixel systems). Vigil systems do support your requirement for multiple site integration as well.

The 3xLogic website includes photos and videos, as well as links to resellers, and if you don't find one close to you listed there, just contact them, and they should be able to point you to someone. They do have a couple people who participate here, who I'm sure would be happy to chime in. I could also suggest some resellers for IQEye megapixel cameras and various other systems, although they're here in the Vancouver area...

One other thought on your need for something FAST: even if you can't get a DVR/NVR in place for the weekend, you might consider starting with IP cameras that have onboard recording (SD card), like IQEye or Mobotix, that you can put into place and get things recording... then wire into a more extensive system later on.

Edit: Just looking on 3xLogic's website, there are at least two Authorized Partners in Georgia (not sure how close they are to you), Absolute Security in Toccoa and Gainesville, and CBE in Montgomery. Check out http://www.3xlogic.com/authorized-partners for more.

The map at http://www.iqeye.com/partners/certified-partners.html will show you certified IQEye partners in your area as well.

Oh, and as for your subject-line question, "how does anyone make it in this biz?"... there are two ways: crank through lots of cheap low-margin junk and make your money on sheer volume... or provide excellent customer service and be knowledgeable about the equipment you sell and install, and make it on word of mouth and solid, no-BS sales.

Of course, nobody here operates on the former model...

Hello Zach,

First off, welcome aboard! You'll find a lot of really nice people here as well as many seasoned veterans in the industy.

I whole hearted agree with you on the 'clients are often friends' statement. Most of the clients I have are indeed friends. In fact the guys from Absolute Security we're just here in Colorado to go snowmobiling and a bit of training on our gear just a month ago. In fact that is what makes companies stand out from the crowd not only in service but the ability to back up your products you install by being able to trust and have trust in the people behind the product. Bravo to you!

I truely appreciate Soundys plug for our gear and I'll also say that ultimately you have to find the products that work for your clients and what their needs are. Reading the industry magazines and attending trade shows will certainly bring you up to speed in what's available out there. Then you have to make the decision on what/when/where you buy your gear from. How do they train on their products, do you have to pay for this training and how do they back up their gear after the sale are just a few things to consider.

You certainly sound like you're off on the right foot. Good luck!

In fact the guys from Absolute Security we're just here in Colorado to go snowmobiling and a bit of training on our gear just a month ago.

Hey, when do WE get to come down for some snowmob... er... I mean, TRAINING??

In fact the guys from Absolute Security we're just here in Colorado to go snowmobiling and a bit of training on our gear just a month ago.

Hey, when do WE get to come down for some snowmob... er... I mean, TRAINING??

Come on down! The weather is just right!

If you're looking for dealers, quite a few inhabit this website. I've purchased a bunch of gear from members on this forum.

Ask around... but realize that guys can't post prices and/or advertise in regular forum posts, so do it via PM and you'll be a lot happier.

In reference to looking for a distributor, and they all appear to have the same features, and products, and pricing then I would say pick one that is closest to you. It is great to get your products next day rather than waiting 5 days for it to come from the farthest distance away from you.

Having one that has an in house text support is the best feature if they all appear about the same.

What do you think?