pearlite TL

crazy woman need help!

Ok so my dad has hooked up with a psycho and she is being evicted next week. We know she will be coming back to the house during the day without us being there. She has no job and claims she has nowhere to go...

On to what i need. I will be putting a new security system in the house and will need around 3-4 cameras. One to look up the driveway and 2 to look at doors.; This is a 7600 sqft house so running wire might be a problem.

Any suggestions on cameras that could record using my desktop and have somewhat good clairty???

First, I assume you have already done the "no brainers" such as changing the locks and making sure windows are secure. Cameras won't help if she has a key. Also, depending on how long she was living there, she may have to be evicted legally. On to the cameras.

2nd, the level of problems you expect from her should dictate how much you put into this project. If you only expect minor theft and/or property damage, my advice below is probably ok. If you expect physical harm to anyone, get a pro.

If you're specifically expecting trouble from her, I'd go with a cheap, temporary, wireless setup for now then upgrade. The image really only needs to be good enough to recognize her and since you already know her, you won't need much detail.

If she really is psycho and has little or nothing to lose, going cheap could save you on replacements if she decided to ruin the cameras. Wireless should allow you to avoid having to run wires (range could be an issue though). Going cheap also allows you to go to discount stores and such and pick one up today! It may not do the job, picture quality wise, but it may deter her. Also, you can get them cheap enough such that you can then look for a better setup after you get the cheap one up and running. The house is large. If it is also "nice" and poses potential install problems, you may want to contact a professional installer. They have a lot more "tricks" up their sleeves (such as snakes to pull wires through walls and electricity sensors to avoid drilling into power lines) than the average home owner does. If she is really psycho, you may want to consider a secure and/or hidden enclosure for the recording device.

All that said, I am NOT a professional installer or security consultant.

Wiring AND wireless range could be an issue in a house that size, especially if time is a factor (wiring can take plenty of it). In that case, you may want to consider cameras with built-in recording to SD card. Mobotix and IQEye make some great megapixel models, but they're hella pricey (that might not be a big concern to someone with a 7600sq. ft. house!). Another one I've dealt with is MemoCam - they make covert cameras built into things like motion detectors, clocks, etc.

The big advantage to something like this, of course, is that it can be installed and start recording immediately, no DVR or wiring required.

Speaking of covert cameras, if she has any spot lights in place, a spotlight camera could work.

I have seen "fake screwhead" cameras out there also.

It's pretty scary what they can turn into a camera these days.

Ok so my dad has hooked up with a psycho and she is being evicted next week. We know she will be coming back to the house during the day without us being there. She has no job and claims she has nowhere to go...

On to what i need. I will be putting a new security system in the house and will need around 3-4 cameras. One to look up the driveway and 2 to look at doors.; This is a 7600 sqft house so running wire might be a problem.

Any suggestions on cameras that could record using my desktop and have somewhat good clairty???

Whatever happened with this crazy lady?

Also, what does she look like, and her body measurements would help. Is she a C-cup? Double D's can be too much to handle.

I don't think cameras are the answer. Try a machine gun and sandbags in the front yard.

Seriously though, a nice quality wireless IP camera and or as has been suggested security light camera with SD card.

She won't be alerted by new security lights but will almost certainly notice cameras. There are also doorview cameras that replace the peep hole scope in your door, or you can make your own with a 19mm hole through the door and fixing in a small bullet camera with wide angle lens. You could run to it using cat5 cable and hide a recording device nearby or get one or two of those DVRs meant for cars that record onto SD card Once the issue is over these can be installed in your vehicles as accident cams

DVR1a-1.jpg

520line-1.jpg

Just a thought, for the doors there are wireless door entry intercoms that can be made to snapshot anyone that approaches, again onto a local SD card and can be monitored over large distances. These also have IR LEDs to solve the problem of the subject blocking the available light.