GrMt

Eyemax record simultaneously on two hard drives

I have a pc based with an Eyemax 9120 that's going to have a max of 8 cameras. I need to know if Eyemax will allow recording at the same time on two hard drives (recording on a hdd internally and one externally), like geovision does. This is so if someone takes the computer the external hard drive will be left with recording because it will be mounted. Thanks.

*bump*

Hopfully someone will answer this. This is an interesting question.

I did not know that Geovision even did this, but it sounds like a good idea. I always get a strange feeling when I leave a site that has the CPU out in the open. We have hidden them in some installation, and even went so far as to put up a dummy old PC with a "Surveillance System" sticker on it.

One thing you could do, that would independent of any feature set of the software, would be to record to a USB drive externally period. Don't worry about using any internal drive at all. And if you are worried about data, you could get an external USB RAID. However, I'm not sure if the USB RAIDs are slower than regular USB hard drives, which seem to work fine with Geovision.

Matt

Thanks for the reply.

My buddy got Geovision to record to two hard drives at the same time, but I'm not sure if that's a Geovision thing or, like you said, a usb raid.

For now, I've resorted to just writing to the external usb hard drive. However, the customer wants the hdd in the attic... which is going to require an extender because usb isn't powerful enough to push 10+ feet.

Has anyone experimented with eSATA raid and Eyemax or Geovision?

I believe eSATA is distance limited as well. You may need to look at network-attached storage instead.

I'm not that familiar with Geo's capabilities, but I've never seen anything in one that suggests it can write to two disks simultaneously. I'd think it far more likely that the machine in question had some sort of mirroring set up, whereby the system itself maintains the second copy of what's being written to the drive, perhaps using something like these: http://www.usbgear.com/USB-RAID-System.html

I had a similar instance recently, where a thief (apparently inside job) cut open the the safe, cut the alarm lines... And took the DVR itself.

In replacing it, we set up our XP based DVR to mirror to a second location through iSCSI NAS. (Microsoft OS will support this with the iSCSI initiator software you can download from them)

We set up the remote unit with an old PC running FreeNAS ( http://freenas.org/ )to be the mirrored storage in a remote part of the building.

That FreeNAS looks cool, imma play with that when I get home. What kinda PC are you running it on?

An old DVR chassis with a P4 HT 3.0 MHz processor, 1 GB ram, new 1 TB Seagate... It's pretty light on resources....

That FreeNAS looks cool, imma play with that when I get home. What kinda PC are you running it on?

An old DVR chassis with a P4 HT 3.0 MHz processor, 1 GB ram, new 1 TB Seagate... It's pretty light on resources....

Nice... wonder how it would do on my old PIII/1GHz server that I'm about to retire?

You can record on 2 drives at the same time if you use raid hardware controller and mirror the drives. You can get a good controller 4 1tb drives and make 2 2tb patitions and mirror them.

Problem solved 300.00 raid controller and 400.00 hard drives 700.00 project.

Simply use the one external usb or esata harddrive for recording

i tested it many times on my installation and idont see any problems on recording

just get long cable and hide your external device

bluecctv.com

Hi-

There are certain motherboards has onboard raids you can utlize to use with any capture card based pc systems for dual hard drives configurations. I just mirror the two drives.