I'm thinking about picking up an Atom PC to test out the NVR software on it. Has anyone tried an Atom based PC with NUUO yet? I figure I may have to pick up a low profile compatible video card.

I'd like to see how well 4 run and then move up to 8 cameras and test CPU utilization in each configuration.

1.6 Atom is clocked at less then 700Mhz, just an FYI.

Atoms are good for things like Netbooks but thats about it.

Are you going to try one of the Acer Aspire Ones or the Asus Eee PCs?

If so let us know how it works out

I was actually looking on neweggs website at the barebones mini-computers. They have some really great pricing that is encouraging me to buy one for testing. They have the Atom 330 Dual core and they have an Atom 230 in a foxconn case for like $95. That's crazy.

I think I'll have better luck with a Dual core atom although they have a couple MSI's that are core 2 quads for under $200.

Check it out.

I was actually looking on neweggs website at the barebones mini-computers. They have some really great pricing that is encouraging me to buy one for testing. They have the Atom 330 Dual core and they have an Atom 230 in a foxconn case for like $95. That's crazy.

I think I'll have better luck with a Dual core atom although they have a couple MSI's that are core 2 quads for under $200.

Check it out.

I have build 330 systems and they work very well you just have to know the limitations.

Im pretty sure the Atom is Dual Core anyway. The netbooks with the Atoms are all Dual Cores, 1.6, but as mentioned those are all clocked at under 700mhz, in fact the 900Mhz Celeron Models seem faster to me, clocked around the same though, by default.

Pentium Dual Cores will blow the Atom away, and they blow away the Celerons, its like night and day. So yes the Core 2 Duo and Quads will also. Honestly no idea if Nuuo's software will run on an Atom, I know for certain I would never try to run Geovision on one. In fact, as a user of the Netbooks, there are MANY new programs I would never install on a Netbook or other Atom PC, many of them wont even run on my Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz PC which is much faster then the 1.6 Atom!

One thing to note, they dont sell the Atom CPU seperately, so most of us would use a Dual Core Celeron before going that route, and that said, a Pentium Dual Core is just a couple dollars more so ... .

Your replies have been helpful. I have not tried any of the Atom systems so I guess my expectation are a bit high. Considering the performance issue I was seeing with the Core 2 Quad I installed it is a bit much I think to expect the Atom to be smooth running.

Guess I'll scrap the Atom plan.

They have the small Core 2 Quad systems on there as well which are inexpensive and I bet would perform much better with NUUO.

Check it out.

I have build 330 systems and they work very well you just have to know the limitations.

You tried it with Exacq right? Proabably operates more efficiently.

They were brought in to replace the Celerons in the Netbooks mostly, gain longer battery time (from 3.5 to 8 hours), less current draw and lower heat. Yes you can get Core 2 mini systems, much better IMO.

Check it out.

You tried it with Exacq right? Proabably operates more efficiently.

I have a couple in the field and they work very well.

I use a 901 eee PC for tuning up IP cameras and general odd jobs, it will run 1 to 2 cams ok as a DVR but that's pushing it.

I use a 901 eee PC for tuning up IP cameras and general odd jobs, it will run 1 to 2 cams ok as a DVR but that's pushing it.

The 330 will run 10-20 megapixel cameras without a problem

Doubt you will do that with NUUO unless someone can tell me otherwise. From what I've seen with a Core 2 Quad I have a tough time seeing this done with NUUO.

Doubt you will do that with NUUO unless someone can tell me otherwise. From what I've seen with a Core 2 Quad I have a tough time seeing this done with NUUO.

Never tried with NUUO

An i5/i7, anything except Atom, will always beat an Atom. ha

Thing is, if you are not CPU-bound, it doesn't matter. Here's a screen shot I used before, elsewhere, a long time ago, and at the time I didn't think much of it. It's an Atom (330) recording, at the time, six IP cameras. The bottom of TM shows CPU usage: 1%. This is a little server (ws2k3, 2GB, Atom 330, runs 1.6 GHz (Atom GHz)). Plenty of power. The hardware (headless) was under $200, including case/PS (150W. maybe more), 2GB DDR2, 750GB WD blue. Uses about 50W or so, by itself.

Link is to image shack, inline (just to see if I can), but URL first: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3452/netuse6cams.png

120154_1.png

Not an Atom... but close....

I tested Nuuo's server/ client and a handful of other brands on this: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-lt3103u/4505-3121_7-33721171.html

CPU usage about 35% on recording/ live view on a 1.3 MP cam

Big difference though, while the 1.6 atom is clocked at a measly 670mhz +-, that AMD probably clocks in default at 1100+ Mhz .. now if they can only put those AMDs in the 8.9" size