CoolDude

Exterior Motion Detectors?

I want to have my DVR alarm triggered in some applications by exterior motion detectors. When I check the specs for exterior motion sensors versus regular indoor sensors there does not appear to be much difference in spec or construction, i.e. waterproofing for the premium price they want for "exterior sensors" versus regular indoor sensors. I have tested regular indoor motions, outside for several weeks and so far they have held up and are regularly walk tested. As long as they are waterproofed at cable entry is there any reason not to use indoor motions?. I have beams also so this does not apply to exterior beams.

It will depend on the exact sensors you use and the quality of their construction, but if you've had them working fine outside already, I'd say there's no reason not to keep using them. Just some general advice would be to try to keep them out of DIRECT weather, like wind and rain...

I'm receiving too many false alarms using the motion detection abilities on my DVR. I have adjusted the sensitivity and detection areas with no acceptable results. I saw your post and thought I'd ask if you had any recommendations for external motion detectors.

My DVR (Zmodo H9008UVD) a RS485 Alarm and Sensor interface.

Can you provide me some recommendation on motion detectors or integration instructions? Seems like there should be stand alone sensors meant for such use, or sensors meant for other purposes (like replacement sensors for external lighting, or a cheap home alarms), or should be able to just integrate into a functioning outdoor motion sensor light if I understood the wiring better.

For example I don't know how much voltage (if any) the sensor interface on my DVR can handle.

--Thanks, Chris