psprigs

ptz camera upgrade?

Hi, below is a link and specs of the dome camera i have, during the day the pic is great, but at night as expected that its not a clear as id like, can i change the camera for a higher spec? with more features?

During the day i use it to read number plates at 5-10 mph motion within a car widths road... at night it stuggles, how do i reduce the grainyness and reduce the headlight of a car so i can read the plate?

distance is around 50 metres, i have street lights for lighting only, its never unlit, if my own eyes were any good, then i could read the plate from the distance i need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Security-Pan-tilt-Zoom-External-PTZ-Dome-Camera_W0QQitemZ260539848276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item3ca9629654

Effective Pixels

752 ( H )× 582 ( V )

Image Sensor

3.6mm(H) × 2.71mm(V); 1/4inch CCD

Video Out

1.0V[p-p] / 75 Ω( BNC Port ) \

Resolution

480TVL

S/N Ratio

≥ 50dB

Min Illumination

0.3Lux/0.01Lux

Focal Length

f3.6-97.2mm

Zoom Rate

27× zoom

Focus

Auto/Manual

Iris

Auto/Manual

White Balance

Auto

Back-light Compensation

Auto

Hi, below is a link and specs of the dome camera i have, during the day the pic is great, but at night as expected that its not a clear as id like, can i change the camera for a higher spec? with more features?

During the day i use it to read number plates at 5-10 mph motion within a car widths road... at night it stuggles, how do i reduce the grainyness and reduce the headlight of a car so i can read the plate?

distance is around 50 metres, i have street lights for lighting only, its never unlit, if my own eyes were any good, then i could read the plate from the distance i need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Security-Pan-tilt-Zoom-External-PTZ-Dome-Camera_W0QQitemZ260539848276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item3ca9629654

Effective Pixels

752 ( H )× 582 ( V )

Image Sensor

3.6mm(H) × 2.71mm(V); 1/4inch CCD

Video Out

1.0V[p-p] / 75 Ω( BNC Port ) \

Resolution

480TVL

S/N Ratio

≥ 50dB

Min Illumination

0.3Lux/0.01Lux

Focal Length

f3.6-97.2mm

Zoom Rate

27× zoom

Focus

Auto/Manual

Iris

Auto/Manual

White Balance

Auto

Back-light Compensation

Auto

no point spending good money after bad. i have seen these cameras before and the spec you have posted is not the camera from ebay. first the pics on the add (car 300m away) with that lens listed in spec the car could be 1/2 mile away and get a good picture. you can get a new camera to fit your ptz but it will cost more than what you paid for the ptz in the first place.

no point spending good money after bad.

+1

If cost is the only important purchasing decision, then buy the cheapest piece of no-name junk on eBay. If functionality and performance are important, then the priorities must be shuffled.

Best,

Christopher

I think the 27X Camera module you get is not the real LG original one, it should be made by the low-class camera module mader in China. or. maybe using another camera module: 18X SONY 480CP the night effect is the best.

Hi, thanks for the honest responses, i paid £104 for the camera it was my first ptz to play with so the quality wasnt so important at the time, rather than the want to learn at cost effective way.... now im looking for better, which based of what you guys are saying isnt too hard.....

So im looking for a camera which has better night vision, able to deflect the car headlights but not darken the whole image... Ive seen ptz camera for £500+ and look at the spec and on the paper they dont always seem much better than the cheaper cameras, although i do apreciate that with the bigger prices you generally get the bigger brand makes with support and UK or same country based with good(ish) dealers etc... and the quality of some of the imported goods arnt just slap dash... i know its a mine field looking unless you deal with a good dealer and get to test products a learner like myself would never really get that choice..

Although price isnt the biggest factor, quailty and spec is but both must meet rather than spend £1000's on something that could be as good with a different brand.

Hope you work out what i wrote.

Hi, thanks for the honest responses, i paid £104 for the camera it was my first ptz to play with so the quality wasnt so important at the time, rather than the want to learn at cost effective way.... now im looking for better, which based of what you guys are saying isnt too hard.....

So im looking for a camera which has better night vision, able to deflect the car headlights but not darken the whole image... Ive seen ptz camera for £500+ and look at the spec and on the paper they dont always seem much better than the cheaper cameras, although i do apreciate that with the bigger prices you generally get the bigger brand makes with support and UK or same country based with good(ish) dealers etc... and the quality of some of the imported goods arnt just slap dash... i know its a mine field looking unless you deal with a good dealer and get to test products a learner like myself would never really get that choice..

Although price isnt the biggest factor, quailty and spec is but both must meet rather than spend £1000's on something that could be as good with a different brand.

Hope you work out what i wrote.

when installing ptz cameras it is always best to stay with brand names. anyone can put a good spec sheet next to a camera on ebay. most installers use one type of ptz. the reason for this is it has taken ages to find good quality / good spec / and most of all reliability. pm me and i will send you the spec of the camera i have used for years.

Pelco Spectra series have always been solid performers. You might be able to find a used Spectra III for a good price on fleabay. We've also use Capture Fastrax domes on a lot of sites and found them to be excellent (avoid the Minitrax mini-domes though).